Willys Edition JL Club Thread

Mikefly562

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU in Granite Crystal Metallic
Both highway and city driving, i would say like 60% highway. I’m hoping it will get better as I put more miles on it. I have under 3000 miles right now.
Another factor in lower MPGs from Oct-April is many areas are still using a 'winter' gas blend. I don't know the specifics but from aaa.com, the difference between summer- and winter-blend gasoline involves the Reid Vapor Pressure (RVP) of the fuel. RVP is a measure of how easily the fuel evaporates at a given temperature. The more volatile a gasoline (higher RVP), the easier it evaporates.

Winter-blend fuel has a higher RVP because the fuel must be able to evaporate at low temperatures for the engine to operate properly, especially when the engine is cold. If the RVP is too low on a frigid day, the vehicle will be hard to start and once started, will run rough. I have seen on other vehicles (that I've owned), a 1-2 mpg improvement with summer vs winter gas, including on my 2013 Jeep Wrangler JK.

I'm curious to what my Willy's will be in terms of mpgs once we switch to summer gas in the Seattle area.
Sponsored

joec63

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willy's 2 Door
Both highway and city driving, i would say like 60% highway. I’m hoping it will get better as I put more miles on it. I have under 3000 miles right now.

Dont know if the mileage will improve with the Mud tires, I couldn't get better than 18 with the V6 Auto. . I swapped wheels on my Willy this past weekend for a set from a Sahara and mileage improved from 18 to 23 Avg from running around this weekend.. Keeping the muds for wheeling but right now I'm just commuting on the highway,

Last edited:

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
Another factor in lower MPGs from Oct-April is many areas are still using a 'winter' gas blend.
Will be interesting to see if there’s a difference this summer!

Dont know if the mileage will improve with the Mud tires, I couldn't get better than 18 with the V6 Auto. . I swapped wheels on my Willy this past weekend for a set from a Sahara and mileage improved from 18 to 23 Avg from running around this weekend.. Keeping the muds for wheeling but right now I'm just commuting on the highway,
Ooooooh right, I forgot the tires would make a difference. I LOVE my tires so guess I’ll have to live with low mpg :)

joec63

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willy's 2 Door

Ooooooh right, I forgot the tires would make a difference. I LOVE my tires so guess I’ll have to live with low mpg :)
Understood , the look is the compromise when swapping wheels so I understand completely ;)

FL_Diesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green JL Diesel
What tires are you guys getting with your Willys? According to my 20' Willys diesel buildsheet, it is coming with Bridgestone tires. I thought Willys comes with Firestone destination? Maybe they have changed it recently?

2020-03-11_13-48-37.png

Sponsored

joec63

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willy's 2 Door
What tires are you guys getting with your Willys? According to my 20' Willys diesel buildsheet, it is coming with Bridgestone tires. I thought Willys comes with Firestone destination? Maybe they have changed it recently?

2020-03-11_13-48-37.png

These are standard equip unless they made a change : Destination M/T2 LT255/75R17

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Destination+M/T2&partnum=575QR7DMT2OWLV2&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Jeep&autoYear=2020&autoModel=Wrangler&autoModClar=Willys

Impy5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willys
I noticed they removed the A/T tires from the build tool a couple of weeks back. I wonder if they are making a change and going with A/T over M/T moving forward.

jack0351

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys, 2013 Ram 3500, 2000 HD FXST,
I noticed they removed the A/T tires from the build tool a couple of weeks back. I wonder if they are making a change and going with A/T over M/T moving forward.
Hell that was the only thing they got "wrong" on my order- I ordered the ATs and it showed up with MTs.

yj93

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy's Manual
Hell that was the only thing they got "wrong" on my order- I ordered the ATs and it showed up with MTs.
I thought that was the only option.

Did they switch them out for you?

Personally, I love the way the tires look. Living in GA, they are great as well. But, YMMV

Mikefly562

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU in Granite Crystal Metallic
I may be doing a long driving trip from Redmond, WA to the L.A. area within the next week to visit my parents and brother and sister and their families, and I'm considering driving my new JLU Willy's down instead of flying, especially since we are starting to see quite a few flight cancellations in the Seattle area due to the coronavirus, and I want to make sure I can get back to Seattle area, especially since this entire region is shutting down. It will be interesting to see how my mpg's are during the course of a 2400 mile round trip, plus whatever miles I drive down there. In the Seattle area, all the roads are empty and I've been driving somewhat faster than normal (70+) and I do notice quite a bit of a drop off in mpgs, down to about 22mpg when i reset the counter. On my trip gauge A, I reset after each refueling and on my trip gauge B I have not reset it since I bought the jeep. Depending on the route, its about a 19-20 hour drive, so i plan to make a stop half way each direction.

Sponsored

relayer4u

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave

2020-03-11_13-48-37.png
Bridgestone owns the Firestone brand name, so technically the Destination MT2 is made by Bridgestone Corporation. That has been on the build sheet since the Willys model became available.

FL_Diesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green JL Diesel
Bridgestone owns the Firestone brand name, so technically the Destination MT2 is made by Bridgestone Corporation. That has been on the build sheet since the Willys model became available.
Thanks Ray for the reply. Now I can sleep better tonight!

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

I've always liked the Willys edition, and morphed my Sport into that by having the LSD option, gives better tires, D 44.
Since I didn't want or need power locks, windows, tinted glass, on a 2 door, this made sense for me. Plus, I had it before the "Official " version came out.
Do this ; paint grill satin or gloss black ; install hood decals ( from Mopar, I preferred the "distressed" version, rear 4x4 decal ( Quadratec); install used Rubicon Rock Rails.
When your brakes wear out, replace with Big Brakes, ditto with shocks, although I prefer the stock shocks.

IMG_20191023_175013111_HDR_resized.jpg
Very good looking set up.

lil_waynes_colon

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys / 88' BMW 528e LS Swap / MK7 GTI
Occupation
Chair Force
^ to each his own!

BA33

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys Sport
That will be great to meet up! There is a big Jeep meet at Triple XXX Root Beer in Issaquah this March 29th, and last year, there were hundreds of Jeeps...it was amazing, and I plan to go.
I would love to go, but I'm in manual transmission purgatory with my order right now
Sponsored