Willys Edition JL Club Thread

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Neither the coolant, transmission fluid nor the oil in my JLU Sport got anywhere near that hot when I was towing a loaded motorcycle trailer in summer temps. Granted, 85°F here is a bit cooler than what it is in Las Vegas at the same time, but still...

If larger/heavier wheels & tires were the cause of elevated temperature trends, they'd likely be the subject of countless forum threads. That they're not suggests digging into your Jeep a bit to check for unobstructed air flow, proper fluid levels and the like. 👍

Regularly reaching 230° in any fluid category is cause for concern, IMO.
There are some threads or posts where XR V6 and XR 392s showing this behavior.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/coolant-temperature.22151/post-2131978

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/normal-temperatures.91798/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/392-oil-temp.80254/

Both my brand new XRs bought within a 7 month gap can't be having the same defect. Looks like it is by design. And yes, I checked all fluid levels. They are fine.
Sponsored

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
Well, I am a little over two years into the ownership of my Snazzberry Willys and I couldn't be happier with the vehicle.

It's been on several road trips of 2,000 to 3,500 miles each and uncounted miles offroad here in Arizona. It's not a daily driver as I have no where I need to drive to on a daily basis.

It's been modded some, most of which is to create a higher level of offroad capability.

It sure looks different now than it did when I first brought it home!

Jeep Wrangler JL Willys Edition JL Club Thread 20210212_122637

Jeep Wrangler JL Willys Edition JL Club Thread 20210212_122657

Jeep Wrangler JL Willys Edition JL Club Thread 20211023_114323

Jeep Wrangler JL Willys Edition JL Club Thread Lower Guard 04

Last edited:

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
the fact that this guy has 2 of the same vehicles exhibiting the same temps would seem to imply that it's not unusual, wouldn't it?

we're still getting used to the fact that modern vehicles can run hotter than those of past years.
add in stop and go in Dez heat with the AC trying to suck heat out of the cabin and the larger diameter wheels, and that heat adds up.
note that he's not seeing the same temps at highway speed when he's got more airflow, so that would imply the extra heat load is coming from getting the thing rolling from a stop.

i lay the blame squarely on the cheesy radiator with the plastic tanks that these J**ps were equipped with, and am rather looking forward to seeing what a good full-aluminum radiator will do to alleviate the complaints of "high temps".

Neither the coolant, transmission fluid nor the oil in my JLU Sport got anywhere near that hot when I was towing a loaded motorcycle trailer in summer temps. Granted, 85°F here is a bit cooler than what it is in Las Vegas at the same time, but still...

If larger/heavier wheels & tires were the cause of elevated temperature trends, they'd likely be the subject of countless forum threads. That they're not suggests digging into your Jeep a bit to check for unobstructed air flow, proper fluid levels and the like. 👍

Regularly reaching 230° in any fluid category is cause for concern, IMO.

Last edited:

Knel6

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Willys
Clubs

Looks good! You’re running a lift at all, what size tires?

Well, I am a little over two years into the ownership of my Snazzberry Willys and I couldn't be happier with the vehicle.

It's been on several road trips of 2,000 to 3,500 miles each and uncounted miles offroad here in Arizona. It's not a daily driver as I have no where I need to drive to on a daily basis.

It's been modded some, most of which is to create a higher level of offroad capability.

It sure looks different now that it did when I first brought it home!

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
Looks good! You’re running a lift at all, what size tires?
Yes, I am running a lift with 285/75R17 Toyo ATIII tires.

They fit without the lift but there was some rubbing out on the trails once I added the bumpers, a winch and the roof rack. At that point I really needed a bit more height.

Sponsored

gek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Code Monkey
i gotta thank a lot of you guys for giving me inspiration. I was really worried about the fuel economy hit on the 33's but it's the same if not better. Rides better, quieter.
Ecodiesel on 33" KO2 and AEV Salta XR wheels

Jeep Wrangler JL Willys Edition JL Club Thread 09AC34A7-D92C-4DFD-A0D9-DFCFB9D52031.JPEG
Looks great, I love those Salta wheels on the Willys!

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Those Atlas spelled backwards (Salta) wheels look great!

ArmyRN

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1946 Willys CJ2A, 1998 Jeep TJ, 2023 Willys JLU
Ordered mine in Dec 22, arrived in Mar 23. Willys XR 2.0T Sting Gray. Loving it! Have an invasion star decal ordered for the hood. 

20230321_145820.jpg

Knel6

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Willys
Clubs

Looks great! Any photos from the front or back, I’ve been curious about the Salta wheels and the spacing/“poke” related to the fenders.

i gotta thank a lot of you guys for giving me inspiration. I was really worried about the fuel economy hit on the 33's but it's the same if not better. Rides better, quieter.
Ecodiesel on 33" KO2 and AEV Salta XR wheels

Jeep Wrangler JL Willys Edition JL Club Thread 20230321_145820

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
…I’ve been curious about the Salta wheels and the spacing/“poke” related to the fenders.
From what I understand, AEV wheels for JLs are +25, which puts them close to the fender edges, but under them. On a Rubicon with the wider axles, they will be right at the fender edge, to slightly out depending on tire size.

KevinC11

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys, 2023 JT Mojave
Occupation
Gunsmith/EMT
It's been a little over a year of ownership of my wifes 22 JLUW/2.0T/8Sp/Soft Top. Tried to keep it simple as possible but also make it unique to me/her and a little more off road capable. It's always a working progress.
Added:
1)392 Wheels and Tires (BFG KO2 P285/70/17)
2)392 XR suspension with longer control arms. From a 2023 built in Feb.23, Achieved 3" net lift. A little more than I wanted which brings me to the next addition.
3) The additional 3" lift made it just enough trouble getting into for the wife. So now I'm looking for rocker protection with side steps. Some I liked but were to expensive and some just didn't look right on a Jeep. I liked the stock rockers and the Mopar Performance side step rockers are nice but, $975.00, ouch. After walking the vendor show at Jeep Beach and looking at all the steps, I came home and found the Mopar ones locally on FB marketplace for $200.
4) OEM steel front bumper.

KevinC

Jeep Wrangler JL Willys Edition JL Club Thread side shot

Jeep Wrangler JL Willys Edition JL Club Thread side step1

Jeep Wrangler JL Willys Edition JL Club Thread side step2

Jeep Wrangler JL Willys Edition JL Club Thread Front bumper

Last edited:

TB22

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Some recent updates to my '21 JLUW...
Jeep Wrangler JL Willys Edition JL Club Thread IMG_9263.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Willys Edition JL Club Thread IMG_9262.JPG

JJ_WA

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Dakota, 2017 Cherokee, 2023 Willys XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Higher Education
Clubs

Some recent updates to my '21 JLUW...
That looks to be totally off of the roof - nice. What's the weight capacity and are the cross bars adjustable for positioning?

TB22

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
That looks to be totally off of the roof - nice. What's the weight capacity and are the cross bars adjustable for positioning?
On-road dynamic weight capacity: 300 lbs. Parked static weight capacity: 700 lbs. per the directions. It is totally off the roof, comes with (4) cross bars that can mount in (6) locations, so arguably semi-adjustable.
Sponsored