Sponsored

Willy’s 4WD Sticker on a Rubicon; lame or cool?

Trainman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Willys 2dr
I really like the 4 Wheel decal that was on my 2017 Willys, I also added a few other decals emblems on the front fenders to give it a little more military look. Stars and 75th anniversary emblem, these were used on other Jeep model from the factory. Check out the pics.
Jeep Wrangler JL Willy’s 4WD Sticker on a Rubicon; lame or cool? DSCN3358.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Willy’s 4WD Sticker on a Rubicon; lame or cool? DSCN3361.JPG
Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I agree with everyone else, but wanted to add my general "filter":

If it's a sticker that IDENTIFIES a specific model/trim/option, and you're putting it on a vehicle that doesn't "match" with that model/trim/option, it's a bit lame.

If it's just an accent sticker that normally comes on a specific model/trim/option, you're fine.

For example, both the Willy's and Rubicon have 4wd, so this sticker makes sense on either one.

Putting Rubicon stickers all over a Willy's (hood, etc) would (IMO) be lame.

Another example is back when I was in high school, people would buy the base model Mustang and then put Cobra stickers/logos on it, trying to pretend like their little 4-banger was a Cobra.

But also, as everyone else has stated, unless they paid for it, it's YOUR Jeep, so do whatever YOU want with it.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
I do like the Willys decal. It integrates the old with the new. But I have a moratorium on badges and stickers so I can't add any more. I already added 4 so I have to stop. I don't want my Jeep to look like a clown car.

Trainman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Willys 2dr
I like the addon decals that are done in good taste, my new 2022 will be most likely a 2dr Willys, I will be removing the Willys emblems from the hood and putting on Islander decals, old style Islander decal like the pics, 4 Wheel Drive emblem on the back will stay. I do like a theme style on my Jeeps and I will be doing more street cruising them off roading. See pics
Jeep Wrangler JL Willy’s 4WD Sticker on a Rubicon; lame or cool? Jeep Islander 2pic

Sponsored

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
Another example is back when I was in high school, people would buy the base model Mustang and then put Cobra stickers/logos on it, trying to pretend like their little 4-banger was a Cobra.
Let's not forget stick-on air intake vents.

As far at the sticker in question, though, I don't see a problem with it either. It's not like the Willys edition JL is somehow more true to the original than the other trim levels. All of them are basically the Willys MB's grandchildren in a way.

Chazdog

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Honda Pilot for now
Ouch - are you referring to the hood vents on the Rubicon here?
They are the exception because they look so good, and so authentic.

Lateapex

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1944 MB, 2019 JLS
Clubs

As far at the sticker in question, though, I don't see a problem with it either. It's not like the Willys edition JL is somehow more true to the original than the other trim levels. All of them are basically the Willys MB's grandchildren in a way.
…and, while we’re talking about the Willys MB as the JL’s grandparent (and cool emblems), how ‘bout the JL’s great-grandparents…
Jeep Wrangler JL Willy’s 4WD Sticker on a Rubicon; lame or cool? 9BD683EF-0450-4594-B2B2-2FAB6F4D8D92

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I like it and wouldn't mind one on my JL. As long as you're not putting Rubicon or 392 stickers on a Sahara or Sport it's all good!

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
…and, while we’re talking about the Willys MB as the JL’s grandparent (and cool emblems), how ‘bout the JL’s great-grandparents…
Jeep Wrangler JL Willy’s 4WD Sticker on a Rubicon; lame or cool? 9BD683EF-0450-4594-B2B2-2FAB6F4D8D92
nice lapel pin. To commemorate the model change in mid 1950 Willys affixed this brass badge on wagons, trucks and jeepsters. Kind hard to find one and this one is on my JLR's dash.
Jeep Wrangler JL Willy’s 4WD Sticker on a Rubicon; lame or cool? willys-overland jeep bad

Sponsored

Lateapex

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1944 MB, 2019 JLS
Clubs

nice lapel pin. To commemorate the model change in mid 1950 Willys affixed this brass badge on wagons, trucks and jeepsters. Kind hard to find one and this one is on my JLR's dash.
Jeep Wrangler JL Willy’s 4WD Sticker on a Rubicon; lame or cool? willys-overland jeep bad
Great lookin’ badge, and a good use for it! I was thinking about doing something similar in my JL with one of the badges in my collection.

FYI, the badge I posted earlier in this thread is not a lapel pin; it is a genuine radiator emblem. That (larger) size and style came into use in or about 1915, although a smaller version was introduced for the 4 cylinder vehicles in 1919.

Here’s a photo showing the two sizes, and a mystery threaded cap (with the emblem likely added on):
Jeep Wrangler JL Willy’s 4WD Sticker on a Rubicon; lame or cool? 0E2A5F93-785D-4678-9A61-8B7EABF24277

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
haha, bring all, love it. I have some hat/lapel pins and wrongly assumed that was one. I wonder if Overland put a badge on the wagons they build 125 years ago. There should be a Willys-Overland Jeep badge/sticker/script thread IMHO.

Last edited:

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
Ouch - are you referring to the hood vents on the Rubicon here?
They are the exception because they look so good, and so authentic.
No, I'm talking about those kids who buy fake air vents at Walmart and stick them all over their crappy foreign rust buckets, thinking this will impress people. I've even seen fake hood scoops. No supercharger, the scoop doesn't do anything, but look at my awesome fake scoop! Want to race?

When I was that age, I did have my eye on a Chevy Nova at the junk yard with a hood scoop. I thought about buying that hood to move over to my car, not about actually putting the goods on my engine. I guess it comes with being young and poor.

Ha, look at me now, trying to talk myself into refinancing my house again so I can afford to roll on 37s. As if I wasn't already in enough debt as it is. Maybe I was better off when I was young and poor, come to think of it. :CWL: