Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
So....
Other than simple maintenance, and easy mods, will you be able to work on your JT?
Where I am going with this is, with all the electronic gadgetry now on vehicles, are you capable once warranty has expired, able to other things other than oil and filters?
I know I am not, I don't have much savvy when it comes to modern electronics.
How much less expensive would the JT be if it was less modern like a CJ.
On my WK2, it's has so many really useless gadgets, it concerns me when the warranty expires and they do too.
I know, I bought it knowing that, but still....
My wife (service manager at Jeep) comes home daily to "freak" me out on what it
cost her clients to repair their vehicles.
8.4 radio/nav screen and its guts....$2500 for the part!
Transmissions....$5000+
The price we pay for modern technology I guess, but nothing is bullet proof.
Rant is over, :headbang:
Sponsored

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
So....
Other than simple maintenance, and easy mods, will you be able to work on your JT?
Where I am going with this is, with all the electronic gadgetry now on vehicles, are you capable once warranty has expired, able to other things other than oil and filters?
On my WK2, it's has so many really useless gadgets, it concerns me when the warranty expires and they do too.
Transmissions....$5000+
I plan to...

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
I don’t see how even the Jeep techs work on the new stuff - beyond simple things like sensors/alt/water pump/hoses, there’s so much tech under the hood I don’t want to touch it. And I love to work on stuff, guess I’ll have to keep all my old iron around :angel:

WranglerWillys

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1945 Willy's MB
The JT is incredible easy to work on, minus the normal 3.6 headaches.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Trickster

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
So....
Transmissions....$5000+
How could anyone work on this without replacing something! Wonderbar!

IMG_20190324_111401359_LL.jpg

OP
OP
Trickster

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
The JT is incredible easy to work on, minus the normal 3.6 headaches.
Depends on your abilities.....even Mopar techs have to go to the company online website for
help on the ever changing technology the mfg keeps coming out with.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
How could anyone work on this without replacing something! Wonderbar!

IMG_20190324_111401359_LL.jpg
Well you got the right tool for the job. If you can't fix it with the JT multi-tool....................that's what i always say.

Sponsored

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Well you got the right tool for the job. If you can't fix it with the JT multi-tool....................that's what i always say.
That thing was packed in there. I'm worried about overheating. Probably not without towing, but it needs to be able to breathe

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Spent years as a mechanic after two years of votech. Aging myself but that was years ago when obd connections were becoming the norm. Since then all the electronics have gotten more and more advanced. Any more, you don’t hook up an amp meter and scope the engine yourself to figure out if the points are fouled or need gapped or anything else. You plug a computer into the obd port and it tells you what’s running right and what’s not. The tough (and expensive) part is cars used to be big enough with enough space between the engine and fender to have plenty of room to work in there. (I remember standing in the engine compartment of a full size K10 blazer with my feet on the ground while changing a head gasket) now a days you pretty much have to pull the motor for anything other than basic top end work.

TXMaybeJT

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Had) 2010 F-150 Lariat, 07 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Fixing computers when grunts break them
Spent years as a mechanic after two years of votech. Aging myself but that was years ago when obd connections were becoming the norm. Since then all the electronics have gotten more and more advanced. Any more, you don’t hook up an amp meter and scope the engine yourself to figure out if the points are fouled or need gapped or anything else. You plug a computer into the obd port and it tells you what’s running right and what’s not. The tough (and expensive) part is cars used to be big enough with enough space between the engine and fender to have plenty of room to work in there. (I remember standing in the engine compartment of a full size K10 blazer with my feet on the ground while changing a head gasket) now a days you pretty much have to pull the motor for anything other than basic top end work.
For real. I've never been a true mechanic, but I've owned a few vehicles and done a significant amount of work myself. Started with a Scion tC, and even putting a cold-air intake in or changing headlight bulbs was a pain! I had a 79 Bronco for awhile with the 351M, and I remember climbing into the engine bay, sitting on the fender to change valve cover gaskets. Then my 2010 F-150 was somewhere in between. Roomy, but even changing oil was an adventure.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
So....
Transmissions....$5000+
Well, the first point I'd make is that the list price on a 850RE trans is about $3k, so if a dealer is charging a $2k premium that's a big problem. The radios can be bought online for $1k. Yes, these prices are still very high but if you don't go through a stealership you can save a wad of cash.

In my experience, the electronics are the only expensive part. For example, my ESS feature died in October. It was November before I realized it was an actual problem. Jeep sat at the dealer for two weeks while they tried to diagnose it. Could I afford to have paid that labor out of warranty? Nope.

But, mechanically the JT/JL is still stone age simple and anyone can work on them with basic mechanical knowledge. That's actually one of the big draws to this vehicle for me. I can work on it easily.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
mmu_get_jpeg.jpeg
Sponsored