Sponsored

Will you be waving to the new Gladiator?!

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Also Just because the MFG says it can tow 7k doesn't mean you should do so honestly. Hell the new NISSAN PATHFINDER is rating at like 6 or so K towing which who in their right mind would tow something that heavy with a Pathfinder.
So I do happen to know someone that owns a Pathfinder, and he has no trouble towing his boat with it. An honest tow rating does have an actual meaning and you can tow up to that number expecting a stable ride, the ability to stop and the engine won't overheat (except in extreme situations)
Sponsored

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, 2-Door, Manual
The 3.6 is more powerful than the 3.5s in both the Tacoma and the Ridgeline, and will even outpower the bigger 4.0 in the Frontier. It is also the standard engine in the Ram 1500 and seems to do just fine in that truck as it replaced the outgoing 3.7 liter V6 AND the 4.7 liter V8.

Sure, you can always buy a Rebel or a Power Wagon, but they'll still suffer the same maladies as you've described with the Gladiator. longer wheelbase, heavier weight ect...

Bottom line is, as you've stated, if you want a wrangler but need to tow more, then a Gladiator will be a good fit. No single wrangler is a one size fits all vehicle, that's why they make the 2 door, 4 door and now pickup versions...
Wow thanks for the info! I assumed that the 3.6 we have is on the low-end of the power spectrum when comparing similar-sized vehicles. Hell the turbo 4-banger in my previous 2016 VW GTI had more power (292HP) and WAY more torque in a MUCH smaller package. I figured most trucks designed to haul things would have more power but I guess I was wrong.

I totally agree that one size does not fit all and I think more options is a good thing. In my previous post I was mostly responding to the person who said the Gladiator was superior in every way (etc etc) when that is clearly not the case.

OP
OP
Northeastbst

Northeastbst

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Amaral
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
I am with you , 78 years and they are still trying to make a product to compete with a Wrangler
JL rubicons are not top dogs anymore huh?

triggered :headbang:
Oh please

2 entirely different vehicles for 2 entirely different uses

Rubicon still king of the mountain.

Have fun towing small houses!!

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
The Gladiator can tow more, sure, and it has a bed. But towing and hauling are not why we all bought Wranglers. Again, I am no pickup expert, but I bet there are far better pickups out there (more power, more room, etc) that are fairly capable off-road.
Pretty sure that my brother's 06 2500hd with the Duramax and Allison will tow the Gladiator backwards. I know it will tow more going forward, and has a higher payload capacity. Probably in the same price range new as well.

So if I'm looking for something to do truck stuff, I'm probably going with the 2500, F250, or Ram 2500.

If I'm looking for something to do Jeep stuff, I'm probably going with a Wrangler.

To be honest, for Jeep stuff, I'd take my Cherokee over the Gladiator. In large part because it is 51 inches shorter over all, and has a 26 inch shorter wheel base. I just don't see the Gladiator being as good off road as current or past Jeeps due to it's size. It's kind of a wait and see for it.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Wow thanks for the info! I assumed that the 3.6 we have is on the low-end of the power spectrum when comparing similar-sized vehicles. Hell the turbo 4-banger in my previous 2016 VW GTI had more power (292HP) and WAY more torque in a MUCH smaller package. I figured most trucks designed to haul things would have more power but I guess I was wrong.
You'll find a the heavier duty the truck is, the more de-tuned the engine is. Its then about durability more than just raw power. You'll note that the 6.4 Hemi in the Power Wagon and other heavy duty Rams only makes 410 Hp compared to the 6.4 in the SRT models that put out 480 or more.

Sponsored

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Fail to understand the angst as you can't realistically compare a Wrangler with a Gladiator. Both have similar DNA but very different vehicles. One is not inherently better or worse than the other. The Gladiator is a great vehicle and brings something to the mid-size truck market no on else has. Period. That's a good thing. Pick whichever vehicle that works best for you and be glad that you have a choice.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Okay, here's my view of this. When you're driving along and you see another Jeep in the opposite lane, by the time you can tell if its a Wrangler vs Gladiator, its pretty much too late to wave. Are you really going to take the time to make your analysis and decide whether or not to wave when your mutual closing speed is in excess of 100 mph?

I'll wave, and so what if its some broski that's traded in his Tacoma or someone that wants a Wrangler but has towing needs that a Wrangler can't fulfill. We're Jeepers, simple as that.
Lol

I understand your concern and it has been noted.

Patinito

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MOAB "Saharacon"
Occupation
SysAdmin
Vehicle Showcase
Oh please

2 entirely different vehicles for 2 entirely different uses

Rubicon still king of the mountain.

Have fun towing small houses!!
So much glee to see rubicon owners squeal. :LOL:

OP
OP
Northeastbst

Northeastbst

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Amaral
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Fail to understand the angst as you can't realistically compare a Wrangler with a Gladiator. Both have similar DNA but very different vehicles. One is not inherently better or worse than the other. The Gladiator is a great vehicle and brings something to the mid-size truck market no on else has. Period. That's a good thing. Pick whichever vehicle that works best for you and be glad that you have a choice.
Jeep would have had way more success going full size.

Would love to see a full size actually

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase