First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUD Hardtop, 2016 JK 2-door Ragtop
Occupation
Tired Again
Although I do enjoy a Wrangler that can run in reverse with the driver door open, am seriously considering a JL powered by the I6 turbo. Seems like a good mate to the JLUD sitting here.
Sponsored

Sponsored

demarpaint

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Rubicon 2008 Liberty 88 E-150
I'd love to see them offer it in a JL.

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
First they need to offer thatā€¦
Yeah, and produce it for at least 3 years or more to see how reliable it is. I never buy a 1st year engine.

demarpaint

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, and produce it for at least 3 years or more to see how reliable it is. I never buy a 1st year engine.
I agree, let the early adopters get the problems sorted out. The good news it will be in use for at least a year maybe more before it hits the Wranglers.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
All rumor and speculation at this point. Nothing anywhere, even leaked, indicates that the I6 turbo will be offered in a Wrangler. Kinda like the '23 refresh, just an internet rumor.

The specs on it show outstanding numbers. A standard output version would be great in a Wrangler, but that's still a lot of power. Packaging it in a JL will likely require more than minor rearranging. So it will have to be done in a mid cycle change or a new generation.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/stellantis-hurricane-inline-6-engine-jeep-ram-dodge-chrysler/

demarpaint

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All rumor and speculation at this point. Nothing anywhere, even leaked, indicates that the I6 turbo will be offered in a Wrangler. Kinda like the '23 refresh, just an internet rumor.

The specs on it show outstanding numbers. A standard output version would be great in a Wrangler, but that's still a lot of power. Packaging it in a JL will likely require more than minor rearranging. So it will have to be done in a mid cycle change or a new generation.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/stellantis-hurricane-inline-6-engine-jeep-ram-dodge-chrysler/
I'd imagine even with the SO version it will be mated to the 8HP75 transmission with an automatic transmission option, which would be nice combo and upgrade from the 850RE currently offered. Not too sure about a stick though, they might only offer it in the I4 Turbo if they drop the 3.6L.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I'd imagine even with the SO version it will be mated to the 8HP75 transmission with an automatic transmission option, which would be nice combo and upgrade from the 850RE currently offered. Not too sure about a stick though, they might only offer it in the I4 Turbo if they drop the 3.6L.
The 850RE is nothing less than superlative. The 8HP75 has a higher torque rating (thus its use with the diesel). If that transmission was then paired with the new I6 twin turbo, I'd want to know that it performed as well as the 850RE before configuring a new vehicle order with that particular engine/transmission combination.

The Aisin 6 speed currently in use in the JLs isn't compatible with the I4 turbo, which has a higher torque output than does the Pentastar V6 (where the Aisin transmission is operating near the limit of its rating). Stellantis would need an uparmored manual transmission to offer a third pedal with the turbo four, to say nothing of possibly offering the same with the new I6 TT...if that ever comes to pass.

demarpaint

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 850RE is nothing less than superlative. The 8HP75 has a higher torque rating (thus its use with the diesel). If that transmission was then paired with the new I6 twin turbo, I'd want to know that it performed as well as the 850RE before configuring a new vehicle order with that particular engine/transmission combination.

The Aisin 6 speed currently in use in the JLs isn't compatible with the I4 turbo, which has a higher torque output than does the Pentastar V6 (where the Aisin transmission is operating near the limit of its rating). Stellantis would need an uparmored manual transmission to offer a third pedal with the turbo four.
I can't speak about the stick, all I'd say is they'd have to redesign the transmission to handle the power from that engine. It makes perfect sense to me that with an automatic it would be bolted to the stronger 8HP75 transmission currently used with the EcoDiesel and in the Ram pick ups. Either way they'd be tweaking the Wrangler quite a bit to make it happen.

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
@CJ SCION is just messing with us. He posted about an engine that isnā€™t even in production vehicles and disappearsā€¦ hmmā€¦
Sponsored