Sponsored

Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread

With the Bronco launch, what team are you in?

• I will stay with team Jeep

Votes: 742 61.7%
  • I may jump to Team Ford

Votes: 239 19.9%
  • I am staying out of this one for now. (in Eric Cartman’s voice): Screw you guys, I am going home.

Votes: 113 9.4%
  • Is “both” an option because I am loaded and can afford both?

Votes: 109 9.1%

• Total voters

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
I’m sure it’s great but definitely no substitution for a skilled spotter.
Of course not. Nor is it meant to be. For those like me who travel a lot on their own though it’s an invaluable piece of technology that’s a true game changer. So much so it’s worth the price of whatever package they tie it onto.
Sponsored

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R || 2021 Hellayella Rubicon JLU
The 2-door looks alright, that 4-door is hideous.
well, opinions are just that. I agree that the 2-door looks best but the 4-door is nice as well. For some of us the 2-door is just not practical and we need something that hauls a bit more. 2-door Jeeps look better imo as well, so I guess the Bronco and Wrangler have even more in common than just being able to complete the Rubicon Trail in STOCK form and grace the Moab Trail (sorry, not sure the actual name...Canadian here).

Last edited:

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I’ve been looking at videos on YouTube today. Suzuki Samurais, Jeep cherokees, and Nissan xterras on the Rubicon trail. It’s all good. Would be boring if only Wranglers went on it.

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
Curious as to why they're being followed by a JLUR....is that their recovery vehicle?...or just someone tagging along to watch?
I was just going to reply with the same question? Lol.
The JLUR is being driven by their mechanic. So yes, a support vehicle, as well as the only one with a winch. Spent some time talking to him on the Rubicon. Told me they were running 24psi in the JLUR and two of the Broncos so as to make it a fair head to head comparison. He said 24psi was chosen because that is the lowest recommended tire pressure stated in the Jeep Owner's Manual. My manual says 15psi in the sand driving section, never could find a reference to 24psi.

As they rolled in to Buck Island Lake to camp, the mechanic started to pull up next to the Broncos to park. One of the other guys waved him off and made a hand gesture mimicking someone taking a picture. Was pretty humorous really. You can see him parked in the background here.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread 9EC676CE-B934-4552-85F2-A7F1C4CFFC3F

Was a good call on their part, kept the Jeep out of this other shot I took which is now all over the place. Same scene, different angle.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread 1CFBA869-E5C9-4805-AB3B-45B8E73C1A74

Last edited:

Sponsored

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
I've got video of their stock Jeep on that first obstacle, but don't know how to post it... lol It climbed the notch better than the Broncos, but also got high centered at the top just as they did. And just for clarification, the Jeep and two of the Broncos were on 33's with 24psi.

Humvee4us

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2 Door
I've got video of their stock Jeep on that first obstacle, but don't know how to post it... lol It climbed the notch better than the Broncos, but also got high centered at the top just as they did. And just for clarification, the Jeep and two of the Broncos were on 33's with 24psi.
Great! Once you hit reply there's an option at the bottom to attach a file. Just hit that and choose the video file.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
End of the day the Rubicon trail is the quintessential trail they needed to do it.

Whole thing seems to just be a banter back and forth between the two manufacturers.

1. only a very small % will drive either car at its limits so who cares proving this. It was all a social media, advertising etc etc campaign.
2. IF you were going to do the Rubicon then I bet that number is about zero that someone is doing it in a stock rig no matter the brand. If they are that serious about rock crawling they will upgrade both.

I personally think the bashing of either brand is pretty middle schooler. Plenty to say about either the Wrangler or Bronco. Neither are perfect in my mind HOWEVER competition is great and should take them both up a notch.

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Granite Crystal 6MT
1. only a very small % will drive either car at its limits so who cares proving this. It was all a social media, advertising etc etc campaign.
This is my overarching takeaway sifting through that thread a bit lol.

Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
They seem to have a full belly skid (or maybe they did that just for this trip)...but I noticed the driver had the front locker off on that last belly dragging section in the 1st video and had to be told to turn it on.

I don't know that this video showed why SFA is superior though.....you'd almost need to follow the 2 dr Bronco with a stock 2 dr JL over the same or harder lines to really illustrate that. From what I could tell.....it appeared the Bronco's travel is similar to the JL's....in that neither are really impressive by aftermarket standards but are adequate for this level of wheeling and for a factory offering. I think that was pretty well illustrated in this video....at 55 seconds in....

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/data/video/20/20939-1947ed0f4a096c5775c1cff4d1cc7fad.mp4
Really?, the IFS looked incredibly weak and showed me what we should all know, this is no magic IFS. Several wheels up shots. Looking forward to the raptor version which might have some magic. lol

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
We completed the rubicon last month for the first time. It’s no joke and was more than I expected in some ways. I didn’t see one bone stock Jeep out there. The guys that run it all the time are in beat up older Toyota’s with exo cages, Twin transfer cases and a ton of body damage. There was also full on race buggys.

Several of those obstacles they showcased, if I can remeber right we’re covered in silt. Made it very hard to get traction and we were around 8-10 psi on 37s. we practically lived on the skids with a 3.5” lift too, a stock vehicle is really going to have a tough time with that alone.

I’m personally excited for the Broncos. The old mindset of IFS being weak and horrible is changing. There’s a ton of ultra 4 IFS cars that are incredible and showcase the improvements made over the last 25 years. Once the aftermarket gets some of these in for R&D I have a feeling these Broncos are going to be able to run neck and neck with a jeep and ride great.

One thing for sure though, jeep will improve the JL platform and continually work to make sure it retains its hard earned title instead of taking the easy way out and not innovating.

brett

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I realize now it's those hideous fender flares that really keep me from liking the Bronco. They scream cheap aftermarket. I bet it would look 10x better with them removed. I guess legally they needed to cover the tires, but this was a ground up design, why the heck not give it Raptor style extended bodywork instead of kiddie-pool-wall plastic fenders?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I saw that! the 2 Broncos with 33's did have beadlocks, though. The one I watched where the Bronco with 35's (Sasquach package) had to try again and again and didn't make it. It must have eventually made it, but I didn't see that.

I'd say point for Jeep right there.

Just copy the link, click on the little chain link on the tool bar above, paste it, and post.
Sponsored