Sponsored

Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread

With the Bronco launch, what team are you in?

• I will stay with team Jeep

Votes: 742 61.7%
  • I may jump to Team Ford

Votes: 239 19.9%
  • I am staying out of this one for now. (in Eric Cartman’s voice): Screw you guys, I am going home.

Votes: 113 9.4%
  • Is “both” an option because I am loaded and can afford both?

Votes: 109 9.1%

• Total voters

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
It failed because it became large 2 dr behemoth with no flexibility at a time when minivans were all the rage. The blazer became a 4dr Tahoe and ford then created the 4dr expedition.

Jeep was smart and kept it a small rock crawling vehicle but even they knew it had to grow. The 4 jk was a brilliant and huge success for families. Dad can’t justify the 2dr but can the 4dr.

Bronco will succeed if they keep size under control and keep top/doors off off road vehicle.
Yes. It "failed" because it because it was a 2-door truck-based SUV. They all went away. The market changed.
Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
It did not fail. Ford chose to go bigger. It worked for a number of years.

Jeep also have chosen to go bigger. Compare a cj to a 4 dr jl. Then ask which one sold better?
Sorry but if they changed it the thing flat out failed. My full size bronco is not even close to the original, totally different rig no matter what the name plate says. You can see that cant you?

Stick to apples to apples. Jeep International and bronco were in the same category. Jeep stayed and the rest flopped. Why?

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Sorry but if they changed it the thing flat out failed. My full size bronco is not even close to the original, totally different rig no matter what the name plate says. You can see that cant you?

Stick to apples to apples. Jeep International and bronco were in the same category. Jeep stayed and the rest flopped. Why?
To be fair, the Wrangler was never really a "success" story until the 4-dr JK. They just stuck with it, which we are all thankful they did.

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST

Jeep has not stayed. The Jeep has failed too if those are your objections. Longer, wider, 4 Doors, damn the Jeep failed because it’s no longer a cj!

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
To be fair, the Wrangler was never really a "success" story until the 4-dr JK.
Very true. I was looking at sales stats last night because of this whole "wrangler=success, bronco=failure" thing going on in the thread right now, and the wrangler wasn't really selling good amounts yearly until the JK generation. There were some decent jumps whenever a new generation launched (TJ especially from what I saw), but in general the numbers weren't consistently good until the mid 2000s, which is when the JK generation started.

My thinking is that the wrangler was in danger of being discontinued, which brought about the intro of the 4-door to see if they could get it back on track with more contemporary tastes/needs in the vehicle market.

Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Jeep has not stayed. The Jeep has failed too if those are your objections. Longer, wider, 4 Doors, damn the Jeep failed because it’s no longer a cj!
Thinking you just want to be right no matter the evidence. but that's ok. lol

bronco, the true competitor to jeep was from 1966 to I believe 1977. International was there too, I'm not sure of the years but many said bronco copied the the Scout, but I digress.

After 77 bronco was there in name only. This is indisputable, I think the scout was gone prior to the bronco so that left jeep being last man standing in that same segment.

The 2 door jeep has remained to this day with only slight changes in dimensions. It has maintained it's roots which ford has tried to do also with it's 2 door.

The question remains, why did jeep succeed after all these years whereas ford did not even with the lame broncoII which I forgot about.....so it failed twice!!

Do these failures have anything to do with today's bronco and what is different to make it not so?

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Thinking you just want to be right no matter the evidence. but that's ok. lol

bronco, the true competitor to jeep was from 1966 to I believe 1977. International was there too, I'm not sure of the years but many said bronco copied the the Scout, but I digress.

After 77 bronco was there in name only. This is indisputable, I think the scout was gone prior to the bronco so that left jeep being last man standing in that same segment.

The 2 door jeep has remained to this day with only slight changes in dimensions. It has maintained it's roots which ford has tried to do also with it's 2 door.

The question remains, why did jeep succeed after all these years whereas ford did not even with the lame broncoII which I forgot about.....so it failed twice!!

Do these failures have anything to do with today's bronco and what is different to make it not so?
Your applying one way of thinking to the Jeep and another to Ford. You can’t say the bronco failed because it changed its design. If you say that the cj failed when it went to the yj.

Just because they are updated does not mean failure. Let’s not talk about the 4 dr saving Jeep despite what old school says! I’m a 2dr fan though.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
The 4 door is more of a successor to the XJ Cherokee than anything else. The XJ was very popular because it was a capable SUV with 4 doors that you could bring your entire family along with. The Liberty, and modern Cherokee didn't really grab the same audience that the XJ had. They sacrificed capability for on road comfort. And it did not do nearly as well. The 4 dr. Wrangler has been a much better modern adaptation of the formula that the XJ used.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Your applying one way of thinking to the Jeep and another to Ford. You can’t say the bronco failed because it changed its design. If you say that the cj failed when it went to the yj.

Just because they are updated does not mean failure. Let’s not talk about the 4 dr saving Jeep despite what old school says! I’m a 2dr fan though.
Never said ford failed becuase it changed the bronco. I am saying ford failed with the 66-77 bronco against its rival jeep and found it had to change the bronco. Change is an understatement. Not even a hint of it's former self, and much of a direct competitor.

Then it came out with the bronco II which is kinda in the same league but failed again.

This is all self evident, and silly to think otherwise.

Perhaps someone else can answer the question. Why or why not will ford have the staying power it didnt have with two other attempts??

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
The 4 door is more of a successor to the XJ Cherokee than anything else. The XJ was very popular because it was a capable SUV with 4 doors that you could bring your entire family along with. The Liberty, and modern Cherokee didn't really grab the same audience that the XJ had. They sacrificed capability for on road comfort. And it did not do nearly as well. The 4 dr. Wrangler has been a much better modern adaptation of the formula that the XJ used.
I wouldnt say "than anything else". the XJ is not even close to the jeep cj/wrangler in appearance, frame, and build. It's is a stretch conventional jeep two door plain and simple.

I think the idea was to give the very capable XJ fans a place to go more than anything else. They got that and more with the 4 door JK's. I think this was what you were trying to say.

Sponsored

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
I wouldnt say "than anything else". the XJ is not even close to the jeep cj/wrangler in appearance, frame, and build. It's is a stretch conventional jeep two door plain and simple.

I think the idea was to give the very capable XJ fans a place to go more than anything else. They got that and more with the 4 door JK's. I think this was what you were trying to say.
The intent was to imply that the 4 dr Wrangler is the most similar to the XJ than anything else Jeep has made since the XJ. There hasn't been another vehicle after the XJ's demise that captured that same spirit until the JK 4 dr. It definitely brought it's own appeal as well. But it found the same market as the XJ in terms of buyers on many levels. Not that the styling in any way is similar to the XJ. Just that it is the vehicle that best represents the same buyers as the XJ because it can perform the same tasks, and more.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Perhaps someone else can answer the question. Why or why not will ford have the staying power it didnt have with two other attempts??
It's a different vehicle and it's not 1966. Are you serious?

The Iggles lost to the Seahawks last year. Perhaps someone else can answer the question. Why or why not will the Eagles have the staying power it didn't have in 2019?

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Never said ford failed becuase it changed the bronco. I am saying ford failed with the 66-77 bronco against its rival jeep and found it had to change the bronco. Change is an understatement. Not even a hint of it's former self, and much of a direct competitor.

Then it came out with the bronco II which is kinda in the same league but failed again.

Considering people pay over $100k for Broncos today the staying power is real and more so than the cj!

I’ve already answered the first question. Ford made the mistake to make it a huge 2 door without the take off top. However they did bring it back as a 4dr with a new name as the expidition. GM did the same with the Tahoe 4dr replacing the Blazer.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link

good question.

first of all it’s the right formula right now as the Wrangler has shown.

second of all Ford has shown they can be successful with this type of vehicle with the Raptor and Mustang. They know how to do this. That extends to branding, marketing, and street cred. But also things like performance parts and wheel packages.

third of all they have the platform. the new Ranger is on the platform. They have perfect powertrains for this segment.

mostly because it just looks good. Tough is the aesthetic that sells right now.

so that’s why i think they will succeed. I don’t think it will all be at the expense of the Wrangler. The Gladiator and Ranger came out and Tacoma and GM mid-size truck sales didn’t plummet. The segment grew.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

History shows the big Bronco sold 10x or more what the small Bronco did per year. So in that sense, Ford did REALLY good ditching the small Jeep/Bronco formula. And the Big Broncos all had removable tops.
Sponsored