Sponsored

Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread

With the Bronco launch, what team are you in?

• I will stay with team Jeep

Votes: 742 61.7%
  • I may jump to Team Ford

Votes: 239 19.9%
  • I am staying out of this one for now. (in Eric Cartman’s voice): Screw you guys, I am going home.

Votes: 113 9.4%
  • Is “both” an option because I am loaded and can afford both?

Votes: 109 9.1%

• Total voters

Lee Woiteshek

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Matrix
Just my opinion, but if Ford wants to steal share from FCA they need to approach pricing cautiously.

Not that I don’t love my Wrangler, but to put into perspective:

in 2015 I bought a brand new JKUR base with no options really, 6 speed manual. Sticker price was just over $35k.

Fast forward to 2020 and bought a JLUR base, one option (cold weather package) 6 speed manual. Sticker was just under $46k.

In 5 years, same basic build and increase of just over $10k.

My large complaint about the wrangler is it’s price. And based on what we can see so far from base pricing on the Bronco, optioning one out will make it a very pricy vehicle.
That's true, but you can buy the base, Sasquatch it, and have a decent off roader. No Rubicon to be sure, but alot better than anything Jeep is offering in the base model.
Sponsored

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
That's true, but you can buy the base, Sasquatch it, and have a decent off roader. No Rubicon to be sure, but alot better than anything Jeep is offering in the base model.
Unless you prefer row it your own, then apparently no Sasquatch!!! Bummer, but can add tires later I suppose

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
My large complaint about the wrangler is it’s price. And based on what we can see so far from base pricing on the Bronco, optioning one out will make it a very pricy vehicle.
Price is what gets me on Wrangler / Bronco as well.

An SUV would be my wife's daily driver, and she likes a few luxury options, which pushes the the price on these vehicles very high. The simple option of an upgraded audio system raises the price of a Bronco tens of thousands of dollars over the base model, based on trim levels and packaging.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
Both Ford and Jeep offer 33" tires, manual transmission.

Ford:
2.3L: 270-hp/310-lb-ft turbo DOHC 16-valve I-4

Jeep:
3.6L: 285 hp and 260 lb⋅ft.
2.0L: 270 hp and 295 lb⋅ft

The Ford 4cyl base engine specs match the HP of the Jeep optional 4cyl, and exceed the torque.

I've driven both Jeep engines, and honestly, they feel pretty similar.

I'm not sure I buy your argument that the Pentastar's 15 more HP and 50 ft.lb LESS torque take it from "anemic" power levels to "decent."

None of us have driven the Bronco 4cyl yet, so we can only speculate.
This. It's really tough to get the power out of the Pentastar because of how tall it's geared. You really only get up in the rev range in 1st and 2nd before hitting seriously crazy speeds. I think the turbo engine (either the Ford or the FCA turbo-4) would be a great pairing to the manual transmission because you will have a nice fat torque band that you can use instead of having to wring out the revs in the DOHC V6. Modern twin-scroll turbos are not only super durable but also very responsive - my wife's Forester XT is fantastic even if it has a CVT.

But, the Sasquatch package not being allowed with the manual transmission really, really sucks. That was probably the biggest disruption to the Wrangler pricing model that Ford did - with Jeep keeping those goodies on the top-trim Rubicons, Ford was going to seriously undercut them. Now - not so much, still have to pony up for the almost-top-trim Badlands if you want a stick and F/R lockers.

Nomad

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Totally understand, but Jeep doesn’t have the bar set too high in reliability either. My JL is the first Jeep I’ve owned and I love the way it drives, it looks, its versatility. But I’ve also had several of the issues many on this forum have had with theirs.

And I know anything mechanical can have issues, but I’m about done being a Jeep beta tester. Each time they fix it I tell myself "relax, it’s good now," only to be blessed with another trip to the dealer service dept. That 7 year warranty purchase is looking about as smart as buying Microsoft stock back in the day:LOL:

Still love it though, so I haven’t sold it.
My experience exactly.

Sponsored

Lee Woiteshek

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Matrix
Ford is going to have teething problems with the Bronco. All those electronics aren't going to play well with off roading, and that's just the electrical side. I am getting the extended warranty. At 62 years of age I can't wait for Ford to get it right. So I'm going to be a beta tester, and I cringe just thinking about it.

Archie PJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Punk"n
As a side note, I just read that Bronco owners won't be able to get factory Goodyear Wrangler tires on them. Well, not quite. Ford has worked with Goodyear to eliminate the word "Wrangler" on the outside side wall; Ford didn't want to have their Broncos advertising Jeeps!!:)

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
But, the Sasquatch package not being allowed with the manual transmission really, really sucks. That was probably the biggest disruption to the Wrangler pricing model that Ford did - with Jeep keeping those goodies on the top-trim Rubicons, Ford was going to seriously undercut them. Now - not so much, still have to pony up for the almost-top-trim Badlands if you want a stick and F/R lockers.
Probably near 90% of buyers don't want a manual though, so I'd say the Sasquatch package is still a significant "disruption."

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Probably near 90% of buyers don't want a manual though, so I'd say the Sasquatch package is still a significant "disruption."
Where did it say the Sasquatch package wasn't available with the manual? The 90+:1 gearing is advertised with the manual and the 4.7 gears of the Sasquatch

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
My expectations of the Bronco I’m interested in are reasonable. It should be able to keep up with my Sahara on 33’s in our family convoy.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Hmmm. The Ford Media site states this:
"For maximum low-speed rock-climbing capability, a segment-first 7-speed (6+1) manual transmission paired with the available advanced 4x4 system with automatic on-demand engagement generates a class-leading available crawler-gear ratio of 94.75:1. An available segment-first SelectShift® 10-speed automatic transmission makes for easier driving on- and off-road, while offering a maximum 67.8:1 crawl ratio with the available advanced 4x4 transfer case. "

That's roughly the 4.7:1 axle ratio x 3:1 t-case x 7:1 transmission 1st

Laz

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
I would add a “Both” category. I love my JL but I’ve had a lot of freaking problems with it lately, to include its second water pump in 600 miles (just diagnosed today after the front diff had coolant all over it), but of course it’s gonna take 2 weeks to get. I have a good Service Advisor and mechanic at the dealership, though.

Broncos have always had a place in my heart too. My dad had two ”small box” Broncos, a 69’ and a 73’. He then bought a 78‘ when they went full size, and had a couple of 79’s later on. I have fond memories of the 73’ with the top off and my dad and a family friend blasting varmints with 22s while I drove. That was around 1976, so I was about 7 years old.

I then bought my first new vehicle in 1995...you guessed it...a Bronco. It was right after the OJ debacle and the salesman asked me if I was interested in a white one:headbang: Couldn’t believe it, thought he was joking. I bought an Electric Red one instead;)

So I will be looking closely at the new Bronco when they arrive and I wouldn’t have an issue owning one along side my Jeep. But hey, that’s me. I like Indian and Harley, Smith & Wesson and Glock, all of the big three, etc.
Same here. I LOVE my 18 JLUS but it had been at the shop for 90 days. They have replaced the throttle body, torque converter and I am going on my second rear axel. In addition to some other minor things. Im considering making the switch after test driving one.

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Hmmm. The Ford Media site states this:
"For maximum low-speed rock-climbing capability, a segment-first 7-speed (6+1) manual transmission paired with the available advanced 4x4 system with automatic on-demand engagement generates a class-leading available crawler-gear ratio of 94.75:1. An available segment-first SelectShift® 10-speed automatic transmission makes for easier driving on- and off-road, while offering a maximum 67.8:1 crawl ratio with the available advanced 4x4 transfer case. "

That's roughly the 4.7:1 axle ratio x 3:1 t-case x 7:1 transmission 1st
The Badlands is shown to be available with the 4.7 gear ratio, without the Sasquatch package.

21_bronco_prelim_tech_specs_1-jpg.jpg