Sponsored

Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread

With the Bronco launch, what team are you in?

• I will stay with team Jeep

Votes: 742 61.7%
  • I may jump to Team Ford

Votes: 239 19.9%
  • I am staying out of this one for now. (in Eric Cartman’s voice): Screw you guys, I am going home.

Votes: 113 9.4%
  • Is “both” an option because I am loaded and can afford both?

Votes: 109 9.1%

• Total voters

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
I get the sense from the commercial that Ford is targeting the "go fast Offroad" segment, compared to the Jeep "low and slow rock crawler" segment.

I also think that Sport is targeting the Overlander community, not the mall crawler moms.
Sponsored

Jeep It

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S in Firecracker Red
There is lots about the Bronco to like. But the Wrangler is a modern classic. The real news here that matters to many of us Jeep owners are the engine choices. Both Ford engines are already well proven and both are better choices than what Jeep offers. I will however say that I prefer the ZF 8 speed auto to the Ford/GM 10 speed.

The 2.3 EcoBoost outperforms the 3.6 Pentastar. The 2.7 V6 EcoBoost in in another category that Jeep can't match at this time. I belive that Jeep moved eTorque to the 3.6 for 2021 to counter the 2.7 EB, but there is no comparison. You can supercharge the 3.6, but it won't be as efficient. FCA should start offering a factory supercharger now. I don't understand how Ford has been allowed to own and refine the turbocharged V6 market for 10 years with no competition from GM or FCA. I'm sure there is a file somewhere at FCA with fully engineered and tested turbo Pentastar plans and results.
Agree. I‘ve been looking at 1/2 ton trucks lately and went on the F150 forums this weekend to see what kind of issues they’ve had with both versions of their Ecoboost V6s (concerned with turbo longevity), and there was a thread with a guy who had 368,000 miles and counting on a 2.7. Apparently it’s the stock engine, turbos, transmission, etc., and he drives crazy miles delivering items on a moment’s notice across several southern states. No mention of towing anything, however, but still impressive.

JCscott

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon ‘19
Considering I already built and purchased my 2021 JLU... I will wait 5 years to see how the Bronco holds up and availability of aftermarket parts. Plus hopefully Jeep modifies some items to help compete with the Bronco.
This. After buying a JL, I’ll wait to see the reliability of the Bronco... always have been skeptical of Ford’s long term reliability.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Not a sport, but a JKU Sahara I have wheeled a ton. I now have a JLUR but I’m very familiar with wheeling a stock Sahara JKU. They do awesome.

Look, clearly none of us have wheeled these new Broncos. But time will prove it out. (Either way) I think you are seriously discounting the impact that IFS has on off-roading in rocks. I have many friends who wheel their 4runners, Tacoma’s, and FJ’s and have modified them for 35” tires. Guess who still struggles more than a stock Sahara?

All good man, go buy one. I may too. Just can’t replace my wrangler for my rock crawling needs. No problem, I’ll drive the Bronco around town and light trails and climb rocks in the Wrangler. I’ve got no dog in this fight, I want them both, but for different reasons.

Sponsored

Alh84

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Jeep jl
The PDF or site doesnt seem to have package pricing.
I already knew that it was rhetorical question everyone talking bout Sasquatch when it might be an overpriced option and makes your bronco look like everyone else’s

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
There are a number of vehicles I like, a very small number that I am willing to own. I like the new Bronco. I won't end up owning one.

The Jeep stays because the Bronco...isn't a Jeep and we want a Jeep. Logic and vehicles don't always go together and there is more to life than a spec sheet and good cinematography.

Well, actually I do think good cinematography is pretty important :like: .

JCscott

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon ‘19
I’d have to drive a Bronco to be sure, but I think I’d take the Ford.

A Wrangler or Bronco would be my wife’s primary vehicle. She thought the Ford looked better.
I want to see the after the safety ratings come out. If it is considerably safer it may be a more attractive option in the future.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
All good man, go buy one. I may too. Just can’t replace my wrangler for my rock crawling needs. No problem, I’ll drive the Bronco around town and light trails and climb rocks in the Wrangler. I’ve got no dog in this fight, I want them both, but for different reasons.
Well said. Quoted for truth!

Sponsored

GerJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Regardless of what you think about the Bronco, if you want to pick up a used Wrangler then wait 10 months as there are sure to be a lot of them available and probably at decent prices.

The introduction of the Bronco should only motivate FCA to keep improving the Wrangler one would hope.

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I traded a very low mile 2017 2.7L Ecoboost Ford Fusion Sport for my 2020 Jeep JL 3.6L. Just visit the Ford Fusion Sport Forum. and read about the problems and dissatified owners. I'll take the 3.6L (and did) any day. My warranty ran out and I didn't want to live with that mess of an engine.

Jeep It

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S in Firecracker Red
This. After buying a JL, I’ll wait to see the reliability of the Bronco... always have been skeptical of Ford’s long term reliability.
Totally understand, but Jeep doesn’t have the bar set too high in reliability either. My JL is the first Jeep I’ve owned and I love the way it drives, it looks, its versatility. But I’ve also had several of the issues many on this forum have had with theirs.

And I know anything mechanical can have issues, but I’m about done being a Jeep beta tester. Each time they fix it I tell myself "relax, it’s good now," only to be blessed with another trip to the dealer service dept. That 7 year warranty purchase is looking about as smart as buying Microsoft stock back in the day:LOL:

Still love it though, so I haven’t sold it.