Sponsored

Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread

With the Bronco launch, what team are you in?

• I will stay with team Jeep

Votes: 742 61.7%
  • I may jump to Team Ford

Votes: 239 19.9%
  • I am staying out of this one for now. (in Eric Cartman’s voice): Screw you guys, I am going home.

Votes: 113 9.4%
  • Is “both” an option because I am loaded and can afford both?

Votes: 109 9.1%

• Total voters

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Surely to be an unpopular post, but I have seen a lot of posts regarding solid front axle or die. However there are a lot of great off road capable vehicles out there.

The land cruiser hasn’t had a solid front axle since 97 I believe and still tears it up. The 4Runners haven’t had a rear locker (aside from the trail/Trd off road) but the ATRAC system is pretty stout. Was the FJ Cruiser really that bad? I had one and loved it. Never went anywhere that my friends Rubicons couldn’t.

I see the advantage for a solid front axle with trail and rock crawling for flex and suspension travel, but outside of that this thing should do fairly well
Sponsored

Newbie1000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
My first car was an 89 bronco 5 spd with a 302. I then got a 87 Wrangler that I loved as well. I came really close to buying a 60's bronco but couldn't handle the drum brakes (and didn't think about a disc conversion). I ended up with two expeditions that I high centered too many times. Now have a JK 2 dr with a 6 spd. Love it and was so close to buying a JL but the dealer wouldn't come down $500. Ford is incompetent to have allowed Jeep to own this market for so long. Jeep really should have come out with bigger engine options long ago. I recognize we are living in a fuel economy world but I will be buying a Bronco with a 7 spd and a larger engine. The manual definitely makes me in the minority but the need for power I think is common among us. My '87 wrangler with a 4.2L had much more torque per lbs than my current jk. To bring out a JL with the same issue is inexcusable. I will likely spend more on the bronco but I suspect I will get more vehicle. Hoping for a price war so we all can win!

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Initially, Ford kept saying there would be no 2 door Bronco, which is why I went ahead and bought the 2 door JL... As a Blue Oval guy, that looks pretty darn tempting!
2021-Ford-Bronco-Renderings-3-1.jpg
Hard to deny that looks just about right, and 2drs FTW!

Hoping the JT eventually comes out in a 2dr version, just to give Jeep another 2dr to throw back at this :)

Agree w/ @jeepingib just enough design cues from the bobtail Bronco days to tie this one in, not hating it that's for sure!

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Surely to be an unpopular post, but I have seen a lot of posts regarding solid front axle or die. However there are a lot of great off road capable vehicles out there.

The land cruiser hasn’t had a solid front axle since 97 I believe and still tears it up. The 4Runners haven’t had a rear locker (aside from the trail/Trd off road) but the ATRAC system is pretty stout. Was the FJ Cruiser really that bad? I had one and loved it. Never went anywhere that my friends Rubicons couldn’t.

I see the advantage for a solid front axle with trail and rock crawling for flex and suspension travel, but outside of that this thing should do fairly well
The land cruiser does have a solid axle actually. The real land cruiser at least does. It is not sold in the U.S.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
I will give it one other positive point from what I've seen. The 2 dr Bronco appears to be better proportioned than the 2dr JL. I always thought that they should have lengthened the 2dr just a tad. The TJ unlimited from 04-06 was a hot ticket item that still sells for a premium today.

Sponsored

WestTex42

First Name
Rhett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Recon
I’m a Ford guy. Love the next gen F150 coming out soon. But these pics of the Bronco remind me of a toyota. I’m Very happy with my new Wrangler Recon. Ford does a good job with the turbo engine. I loved my 2016 3.5 Turbo F150. But wouldn’t trade back for anything.

Lateapex

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1944 MB, 2019 JLS
Clubs

Oh, Brother. That's quite a stretch. I mean, it may all be true, but c'mon "grill designed by Ford".

They may as well say A Jeep is a Ford, but really it's not so buy a Bronco.,
Willys won the Bantam/Willys/Ford design competition for what became the Jeep.

After the initial production runs by the three competitors, the Willys model MB became the standardized Jeep (although design elements from both Bantam and Ford supposedly were incorporated into this refined version of the Willys model MA). However, Willys lacked the production capacity to build all the Jeeps that were needed, so Ford built about 270,000 (of about 650,000 of the total WWII Jeep production) using the Willys design. These Ford-built Jeeps that were built to the Willys model MB design were designated model GPW...the W standing for Willys.

Ford did contribute to the iconic Jeep grill design in that it was Ford that created a stamped grill (with 9 slots) replacing the earlier fabricated bar grill.

The Jeep shown in the earlier post is a GPW.

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
A lot of the rumors about the Bronco have turned out true. If the rumor of 37” factory tires is true... that is going to be a huge win for ford. I’ve heard a lot of people say it isn’t possible from a fuel economy perspective or that IFS can’t handle 37’s. If they have figured out solutions to both that is going to be pretty insane.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Another thread about a Sasquatch sighting.

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
Seriously. They took every weak spot the Wrangler had and not only improved on them, but absolutely killed it with them.

*grabs popcorn and waits for the REEEE IT HAS IFS REEEEEE mob to arrive*

How dare they, Ford copied Jeep! I mean yeah, really, they literally copied everything. They put on 4 wheels like jeep only larger, they put in an auto transmission, only more speeds, they put in a V-6 only with more power, they put in an infotainment screen, only with bigger and better screen, they put removable doors, only they can be stowed in the vehicle and the mirrors stay attached to vehicle and the doors are half doors, they put in a manual transmission only Ford has a crawler gear, they put in lockers only they went with a lower ratio! How dare they!
Sponsored