Advertisement

With the Bronco launch, what team are you in?

• I will stay with team Jeep

Votes: 393 56.4%
  • I may jump to Team Ford

Votes: 164 23.5%
  • I am staying out of this one for now. (in Eric Cartman’s voice): Screw you guys, I am going home.

Votes: 70 10.0%
  • Is “both” an option because I am loaded and can afford both?

Votes: 70 10.0%

• Total voters

Whisky19

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!
Base model value..I’ll add that these reservations for the Bronco will likely be far less as leaks and specs are revealed of upcoming modifications to the wrangler. No big deal it’s only $100.00 LOL

Advertisement

clayps

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport
The 2 door jeep has remained to this day with only slight changes in dimensions. It has maintained it's roots which ford has tried to do also with it's 2 door.

The question remains, why did jeep succeed after all these years whereas ford did not even with the lame broncoII which I forgot about.....so it failed twice!!

Do these failures have anything to do with today's bronco and what is different to make it not so?

To me, the reason only Jeep survived is because the market demand for a small 2 door off-roader during this time wasn't that big and Jeep was really the only one left in that category. Ford felt that their focus was better spent elsewhere. Buyers were going towards bigger, more comfortable SUVs and wanted a one-size fits all vehicle that could haul their family while getting them to trail heads and camp at the same time. It's not like Wrangler dominated the automotive industry during these times. It's a miracle the Wrangler is still around when you consider the small market there was, and it's almost certain there'd be no Wrangler now if there was no 4 door. The way everything has unfolded has more to do with decision makers and market demand more so than the product itself, in my opinion. The only thing Ford did wrong, is not release the Bronco 5 years sooner.

twisty

First Name
bob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Considering people pay over $100k for Broncos today the staying power is real and more so than the cj!

I’ve already answered the first question. Ford made the mistake to make it a huge 2 door without the take off top. However they did bring it back as a 4dr with a new name as the expidition. GM did the same with the Tahoe 4dr replacing the Blazer.
lol, like I, someone else might be able (equipped ) to handle the question. :)

twisty

First Name
bob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
It's a different vehicle and it's not 1966. Are you serious?

The Iggles lost to the Seahawks last year. Perhaps someone else can answer the question. Why or why not will the Eagles have the staying power it didn't have in 2019?
cant answer it? Best stay away from questions you arent equipped to field. ;)

twisty

First Name
bob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
To me, the reason only Jeep survived is because the market demand for a small 2 door off-roader during this time wasn't that big and Jeep was really the only one left in that category. Ford felt that their focus was better spent elsewhere. Buyers were going towards bigger, more comfortable SUVs and wanted a one-size fits all vehicle that could haul their family while getting them to trail heads and camp at the same time. It's not like Wrangler dominated the automotive industry during these times. It's a miracle the Wrangler is still around when you consider the small market there was, and it's almost certain there'd be no Wrangler now if there was no 4 door. The way everything has unfolded has more to do with decision makers and market demand more so than the product itself, in my opinion. The only thing Ford did wrong, is not release the Bronco 5 years sooner.
Ford left becuase evidently sales were down and ford couldnt compete against jeep. again why will it be different this time?

I dont think it's certain at all that the 2 door wouldnt be around considering ford is also bringing it back. If no market why bother with it?

clayps

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Ford left becuase evidently sales were down and ford couldnt compete against jeep. again why will it be different this time?

I dont think it's certain at all that the 2 door wouldnt be around considering ford is also bringing it back. If no market why bother with it?
A loss leader I would assume. It's their flagship Bronco to attract people to the brand. Ford is already aware the 2 door will only make up about 5% of sales, similar to the JL.

ThirtyOne

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2005 Jeep Liberty

That's a good question. I don't expect the 2-door to sell very well. Maybe 20,000-30,000/year. I guess it's kind of like the Wrangler - they cant bring back the Bronco without the 2-door.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Base model value..I’ll add that these reservations for the Bronco will likely be far less as leaks and specs are revealed of upcoming modifications to the wrangler. No big deal it’s only $100.00 LOL

thanks for posting this video. Good stuff.

it is an absolute certainty that Jeep will be reacting to Bronco — thy already are...... Just look at the horses in the recent ads from Jeep. THAT’S why I hope that the Bronco takes 20%+ of the new buyers away from FCA..... it will force FCA to become better. That’s what competition does and that is good for all of us.

oh, and it also will mean that Toyota may need to update the 4Runner TRD pro (and it’s interior from 1994). That would also be very good for Jeepers as FCA will need to become even more focused on customers. Total win.

rallydefault

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
cant answer it? Best stay away from questions you arent equipped to field. ;)
Whatever lets you sleep at night apparently, my dude. If you can't acknowledge that the world is inherently different from the 1960s, I got nothin' else for ya. Seems any "answers" you're willing to accept are pretty specific to your cranium.

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Granite Crystal 6MT
thanks for posting this video. Good stuff.

it is an absolute certainty that Jeep will be reacting to Bronco — thy already are...... Just look at the horses in the recent ads from Jeep. THAT’S why I hope that the Bronco takes 20%+ of the new buyers away from FCA..... it will force FCA to become better. That’s what competition does and that is good for all of us.

oh, and it also will mean that Toyota may need to update the 4Runner TRD pro (and it’s interior from 1994). That would also be very good for Jeepers as FCA will need to become even more focused on customers. Total win.
Completely agree with all of this.

ThirtyOne

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2005 Jeep Liberty

Good video. Off-road features favor the Wrangler but on-road features favor the Bronco. Not just IFS. DRL, 8-inch screen, CarPlay/Android Auto, pre-collision assist, one-touch up/down windows, power locks, side curtain airbags, auto high beams, and LED headlights.

Whisky19

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!
Good video. Off-road features favor the Wrangler but on-road features favor the Bronco. Not just IFS. DRL, 8-inch screen, CarPlay/Android Auto, pre-collision assist, one-touch up/down windows, power locks, side curtain airbags, auto high beams, and LED headlights.
Well I think that greatly depends on your idea of aesthetics. I would argue that based on what I have seen the interior outlay of the Bronco isn’t anything to be giddy about.. but again that’s just my taste.

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Granite Crystal 6MT
Well I think that greatly depends on your idea of aesthetics. I would argue that based on what I have seen the interior outlay of the Bronco isn’t anything to be giddy about.. but again that’s just my taste.
I really like that passenger side grab handle in the center. Not a fan of the switches up top on the dash though.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Nothing. It's a sunk cost and the ultimate capability between the two vehicles still remains to be seen, but pretty much everyone agrees that the Rubicon is going to be able to do harder trails than the most outfitted package for the Bronco.

Now, if the aftermarket steps up....there might be a reason to switch....but in most cases, you're going to be talking a MINIMUM of $5K in aftermarket upgrades...likely far more when talking conversions.

That said, Marlin's new RCLT kit makes that platform more enticing for those that want to keep IFS. Something similar could be done with the Bronco, but the drivetrain is yet to be completely revealed in the combinations that will actually be available.

BTW, anyone know what the rear axle is in the new Bronco? Hopefully it's similar or better than the one in the Raptor, but if this thing is based off the Ranger.....that's probably a weak link; especially if they use the C-clip 8.8.
I'm really looking forward to seeing some of the RCLT rigs on the trails. Marlincrawler has really come up with something that looks amazing. But I'm also curious what the price is going to be. You have to pay to play, but it's a lot cheaper with a solid axle rig.

As for the rear axle, IIRC it has a M220 "Dana 44"

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
I'm really looking forward to seeing some of the RCLT rigs on the trails. Marlincrawler has really come up with something that looks amazing. But I'm also curious what the price is going to be. You have to pay to play, but it's a lot cheaper with a solid axle rig.

As for the rear axle, IIRC it has a M220 "Dana 44"
I'm guessing with RCVs and the Mar-Rack steering, and coilovers, it'll be $5Kish.

That's about what a similar SAS would cost with a 1/2T front, locked and geared axle, but that also doesn't include a front locker and gears with the RCLT, either.

The difference is the SAS would require some fabrication and the RCLT should be fairly bolt on (though some welding will be required from what I read).

So a D44 rear? Huh...interesting. The rear axle on the Raptor looks like a Dana 60....but I have no idea if it actually is a Spicer product.

Advertisement

Advertisement