Advertisement

With the Bronco launch, what team are you in?

• I will stay with team Jeep

Votes: 393 56.4%
  • I may jump to Team Ford

Votes: 164 23.5%
  • I am staying out of this one for now. (in Eric Cartman’s voice): Screw you guys, I am going home.

Votes: 70 10.0%
  • Is “both” an option because I am loaded and can afford both?

Votes: 70 10.0%

• Total voters

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Thinking you just want to be right no matter the evidence. but that's ok. lol

bronco, the true competitor to jeep was from 1966 to I believe 1977. International was there too, I'm not sure of the years but many said bronco copied the the Scout, but I digress.

After 77 bronco was there in name only. This is indisputable, I think the scout was gone prior to the bronco so that left jeep being last man standing in that same segment.

The 2 door jeep has remained to this day with only slight changes in dimensions. It has maintained it's roots which ford has tried to do also with it's 2 door.

The question remains, why did jeep succeed after all these years whereas ford did not even with the lame broncoII which I forgot about.....so it failed twice!!

Do these failures have anything to do with today's bronco and what is different to make it not so?
Your applying one way of thinking to the Jeep and another to Ford. You can’t say the bronco failed because it changed its design. If you say that the cj failed when it went to the yj.

Just because they are updated does not mean failure. Let’s not talk about the 4 dr saving Jeep despite what old school says! I’m a 2dr fan though.

Advertisement

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
The 4 door is more of a successor to the XJ Cherokee than anything else. The XJ was very popular because it was a capable SUV with 4 doors that you could bring your entire family along with. The Liberty, and modern Cherokee didn't really grab the same audience that the XJ had. They sacrificed capability for on road comfort. And it did not do nearly as well. The 4 dr. Wrangler has been a much better modern adaptation of the formula that the XJ used.

twisty

First Name
bob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Your applying one way of thinking to the Jeep and another to Ford. You can’t say the bronco failed because it changed its design. If you say that the cj failed when it went to the yj.

Just because they are updated does not mean failure. Let’s not talk about the 4 dr saving Jeep despite what old school says! I’m a 2dr fan though.
Never said ford failed becuase it changed the bronco. I am saying ford failed with the 66-77 bronco against its rival jeep and found it had to change the bronco. Change is an understatement. Not even a hint of it's former self, and much of a direct competitor.

Then it came out with the bronco II which is kinda in the same league but failed again.

This is all self evident, and silly to think otherwise.

Perhaps someone else can answer the question. Why or why not will ford have the staying power it didnt have with two other attempts??

twisty

First Name
bob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
The 4 door is more of a successor to the XJ Cherokee than anything else. The XJ was very popular because it was a capable SUV with 4 doors that you could bring your entire family along with. The Liberty, and modern Cherokee didn't really grab the same audience that the XJ had. They sacrificed capability for on road comfort. And it did not do nearly as well. The 4 dr. Wrangler has been a much better modern adaptation of the formula that the XJ used.
I wouldnt say "than anything else". the XJ is not even close to the jeep cj/wrangler in appearance, frame, and build. It's is a stretch conventional jeep two door plain and simple.

I think the idea was to give the very capable XJ fans a place to go more than anything else. They got that and more with the 4 door JK's. I think this was what you were trying to say.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
I wouldnt say "than anything else". the XJ is not even close to the jeep cj/wrangler in appearance, frame, and build. It's is a stretch conventional jeep two door plain and simple.

I think the idea was to give the very capable XJ fans a place to go more than anything else. They got that and more with the 4 door JK's. I think this was what you were trying to say.
The intent was to imply that the 4 dr Wrangler is the most similar to the XJ than anything else Jeep has made since the XJ. There hasn't been another vehicle after the XJ's demise that captured that same spirit until the JK 4 dr. It definitely brought it's own appeal as well. But it found the same market as the XJ in terms of buyers on many levels. Not that the styling in any way is similar to the XJ. Just that it is the vehicle that best represents the same buyers as the XJ because it can perform the same tasks, and more.

rallydefault

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Perhaps someone else can answer the question. Why or why not will ford have the staying power it didnt have with two other attempts??
It's a different vehicle and it's not 1966. Are you serious?

The Iggles lost to the Seahawks last year. Perhaps someone else can answer the question. Why or why not will the Eagles have the staying power it didn't have in 2019?

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Never said ford failed becuase it changed the bronco. I am saying ford failed with the 66-77 bronco against its rival jeep and found it had to change the bronco. Change is an understatement. Not even a hint of it's former self, and much of a direct competitor.

Then it came out with the bronco II which is kinda in the same league but failed again.

Considering people pay over $100k for Broncos today the staying power is real and more so than the cj!

I’ve already answered the first question. Ford made the mistake to make it a huge 2 door without the take off top. However they did bring it back as a 4dr with a new name as the expidition. GM did the same with the Tahoe 4dr replacing the Blazer.

ThirtyOne

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2005 Jeep Liberty

good question.

first of all it’s the right formula right now as the Wrangler has shown.

second of all Ford has shown they can be successful with this type of vehicle with the Raptor and Mustang. They know how to do this. That extends to branding, marketing, and street cred. But also things like performance parts and wheel packages.

third of all they have the platform. the new Ranger is on the platform. They have perfect powertrains for this segment.

mostly because it just looks good. Tough is the aesthetic that sells right now.

so that’s why i think they will succeed. I don’t think it will all be at the expense of the Wrangler. The Gladiator and Ranger came out and Tacoma and GM mid-size truck sales didn’t plummet. The segment grew.

Toycrusher

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

History shows the big Bronco sold 10x or more what the small Bronco did per year. So in that sense, Ford did REALLY good ditching the small Jeep/Bronco formula. And the Big Broncos all had removable tops.

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Granite Crystal 6MT
I think the best case scenario for us (and this segment, really) is for the Bronco to do extremely well--it'll push Jeep (hopefully) and maybe yield some good improvements/changes.

I'm still skeptical (there's a reason I'm here and not holding out and waiting for a Bronco), but beyond blind (and stupid) brand loyalty, there's no reason to root "against" the Bronco IMO.

Dash68

First Name
Skip
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR, 2017 GC Trailhawk
Ford had a pretty good run with the early broncos, 11 years. My parents owned a '73 which rusted apart by '76 and they bought another one which held together till around 1980 when the doors were falling off and the transmission stopped working. We used it on the farm as a kind of tractor as first and reverse continued to work for a couple more years. Dad eventually sold it for $500 to a guy that was going to use it as a door less snow plow. The EB's were relatively inexpensive no frills utility vehicles that, even back then, had a cool vibe when most mom's were driving sedans or station wagons. Their drive train was solid and rugged and my parents took them off road and camping in the U.P. and Canada often. They were lucky to get 10 miles to the gallon though which is why they ordered their '76 with the dual gas tanks. When Ford came out with the full size Bronco it was "way to big to be useful off road" in the northern Michigan back woods. When Ford produced the Bronco II I begged my dad to buy one but he refused as, at that point, they were way to expensive for using off road and by that time us kids where old enough to buy and build our own 4 wheelers. So, I'd say Ford alienated my parents by trying to make the Bronco appeal to a larger and higher priced market segment. I'm sure if Ford would have never stopped making the EB that my dad would've kept buying them. He is 75 now and has his eye on a bare bones base but thinks it's really silly how people are plopping down a 100 bucks for something that isn't out yet and you can't go down to the local Ford dealer to kick the tires.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Thinking about things a little more. I've come to the conclusion that the new Bronco, is really just a modern day version of the Bronco II. Hear me out here. The Bronco II was based on the Ford Ranger to fit a spot in the market that the existing Bronco of the day didn't fit. Powered by a base 4 cyl 2.3L with an optional V6. Independent front suspension with Dana components. This all sounds very familiar. Much more in common with the Bronco II than the original.

Bowser

First Name
Vishal
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara, 2018 BMW M3, 2016 Honda Accord
Bronco reservations are outstanding. Yes, I know these are $100 refundable, but it shows the public interest in the upcoming Bronco is high. Honest question, what do you need to see from Jeep to keep you from switching? And don't give me crap about loyalty, I will switch for a better product any day.

ThirtyOne

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2005 Jeep Liberty
Bronco reservations are outstanding. Yes, I know these are $100 refundable, but it shows the public interest in the upcoming Bronco is high. Honest question, what do you need to see from Jeep to keep you from switching? And don't give me crap about loyalty, I will switch for a better product any day.
I doubt the Bronco would be a better product for me. If I drove an automatic I think there are some nice options like the 2.7L and the Sasquatch package. But since I drive a manual those aren't available.

I think to get what I want in a Bronco I would end up paying more than a Rubicon, and between the 2 I would still get the Rubicon.

But what I hope it will lead Jeep to do is add a rear locker and lower gears to the Willys. If they do that I will trade for that, add a lift, 35s, and swap in a 4:1 transfer case and never look back.

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
Nothing. It's a sunk cost and the ultimate capability between the two vehicles still remains to be seen, but pretty much everyone agrees that the Rubicon is going to be able to do harder trails than the most outfitted package for the Bronco.

Now, if the aftermarket steps up....there might be a reason to switch....but in most cases, you're going to be talking a MINIMUM of $5K in aftermarket upgrades...likely far more when talking conversions.

That said, Marlin's new RCLT kit makes that platform more enticing for those that want to keep IFS. Something similar could be done with the Bronco, but the drivetrain is yet to be completely revealed in the combinations that will actually be available.

BTW, anyone know what the rear axle is in the new Bronco? Hopefully it's similar or better than the one in the Raptor, but if this thing is based off the Ranger.....that's probably a weak link; especially if they use the C-clip 8.8.

Advertisement

Advertisement