Will there ever be a 5-6 piece hardtop?

J-Gator

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara with Power Top
Not quite a perfect solution, but why I got the sky top. Rear side windows easy to remove and top just slides at touch of the button. I enjoy the roof more than I expected.

I don't see why the side windows cant be adapted to the hardtop if Jeep wanted it to happen. I might be missing something, but seems easy for them to do from the factory. But even if that was an option I would still choose the power top now (before owning I would have selected a hard top if the rear windows were removable)
Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I honestly could care less if the top removes completely. But I live in Texas where its either HOT as FL(&(*K or COLD as F)(*(^. I would love true HALF DOORS and the Sides and rear to come off and leave the top roof panels on a la SAFARI style but with Half Doors. I used to love having my Soft TOP TJ with all the panels off and just top part on.

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
No. That would add like 20 more seals to cause more leaks or wind noise.
Part of the problem is that there has been no competition to the Wrangler. Once that comes (i.e. the Bronco), that will likely force Jeep to engineer/build something that actually works. And hopefully the Jeep apologists' mantra of "it's a Jeep thing" will finally die.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Ugh I wish. I have a love-hate relationship with my hardtop. The thing is a complete PITA to take off. It is heavy, awkward, even with another adult it is such a pain. I've been seriously considering buying a lift pro, but that thing is so damn overpriced. Someone needs to come with a good knockoff. I hurt my back the other day getting it out and putting it on a scaffold, it is a fuck!ng pain, I am not doing it again. I lift heavy weights, but this thing is another animal, the weight balance is super awkward.

I am probably going to end up buying a softop.

Sponsored

Almost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
It would also be a pain to store that many panels in the Jeep and go anywhere away from home.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
I'd be really interested in hard sides/back (3-pieces) that were compatible with the soft top. If the side pieces had a bit of an L shape, the back piece should be narrow enough to fit behind the back seats, even on a 2-dr (at least in safari mode). It would make for a pretty awesome upgrade/accessory for anyone with a soft top, especially if you could swap between the hard/soft sides on a whim.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
That wouldn't be an issue for virtually any auto manufacturer other than FCA.

OP
OP

These_go211

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door Wrangler JL
It’s great to see Jeep is holding those focus groups and talking about this issue. And very cool conversion idea! Good stuff! The winch idea for me won’t work for me also because the top would wind up hanging directly in front of some storage cabinets. I’m in agreement with the idea that having some competition will definitely push along the design/engineering for the Wrangler.

Sponsored

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara & 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
It would be nice. My Sahara has the dual top group and I have been taking the hardtop off in March"ish" and putting it back on in October"ish". I do have the Lange Power Hoist, but even though I have a very large garage it was a complete pain. There isn't enough headroom above my garage door, so it had to be mounted further back in the garage. The problem is my garage is large enough that I have a huge I-Beam that runs across the middle of it. I mounted my top hoist between the 2 I-Beams in the very back of the garage. Since my garage is tandem it looks ridiculous all the way back there.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I'm waiting for three piece doors to come out so when I take them off it's easier because the doors are so darn bulky.
Also heard they have a modular hood in the works so when you are wrenching on the engine you don't need to prop that monster up, you just simply flip the pieces back on themselves.
It would be cool for two piece tires as well because 35s and up become quite heavy when it's time to rotate them.
I'm also extremely interested in the hinged axle they are working on for those really tight spots on the trails.
It would also be cool if the windshield would fold down.

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
They could at least provide some built-in hoisting points on the hard-top. I didn’t even consider one since removal didn’t seem like a one-man, sorry, one-person job. Manual says get FOUR adults...

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Having your hardtop off, safely stored, far away from your Jeep when the weather changes in like 15 seconds to a downpour...what fun. I hope the Focus Groups " focus" on a modular hard top, with on-board storage for panels without losing cargo/ passenger space.
A truly convertible soft top, no removal of side/ rear windows, release bottoms maybe, at the most. Roll -up side, rear windows worked great in the past, bring them back.
10 more years to get it done..

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
I'm waiting for three two piece doors to come out so when I take them off it's easier because the doors are so darn bulky. every Jeep has factory half doors.
There, I fixed that for you. ;)
Sponsored