Sponsored

Will there be a Moab equivalent in 2020? Sky One Touch?

Should I buy 2019 Moab with Sky One Touch now or take chances on 2020?

• Total voters
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 BMW X5, 2012 Mercedes GL450
So without getting into another Moab vs. Sahara vs. Rubicon debate ... after doing a lot of research I had decided to wait a few months and order a 2020 Moab with a Sky One Touch top from one of the dealers offering competitive pricing. I don't need the car until January, I need Selec Trac, I really want Sky One Touch, and I subjectively prefer the looks of a Moab over a Sahara.

OK, for those who want to change my mind...

Why Selec Trac? We live in snow country (30 feet a year) and my wife will need to drive the car from time to time. She only has experience with full-time AWD SUVs where she never had to decide when to shift it into 4H. I will not put my wife in that situation, end of story. It's Selec Trac or no Wrangler.

Why Sky One Touch? Purely subjective. My wife and I want the convenience of easily switching back and forth when driving around town and then on and off the highway and for dusty trails in the summer. Not a lot of room to store a hard top, she's not able to put a soft top up and down, and I'm willing to live with minor leaks from snow on the roof, etc. This is a really strong preference but not a deal breaker because I know there are workarounds even if they are much less convenient.

Why Moab? Looks are purely subjective but I prefer the more aggressive look the black trim and wheels and what appear to be larger off road tires, and don't have experience, time or interest for making aftermarket modifications and disposing of what's been removed unless I have to. Have never modified a car, had hoped to avoid that. It also seems expensive. But it can be done so not a deal breaker.

So a Moab with Sky One Touch it was going to be, and I don't need the car until January, so thought why not wait for the newer model, order exactly what I want at 5% below invoice (e.g. 5 hour drive to Idaho) and maybe some fixes to any issues?

But after reading the 2020 Order Guide thread, I'm now concerned that neither a Moab nor even Altitude version of the Sahara will be available? Also some confusion as to whether the Sky One Touch will be available. So I have 2 questions which may not even be answerable right now.

For those who follow Jeep over time, do you think there will be a Moab or even Altitude equivalent available before January? Meaning a Sahara with more aggressive looks, and perhaps slightly upgraded trail capabilities?

Since a Sahara could be modified and optioned like a Moab or Altitude, even more important, do you think there will be Sky One Touch in 2020? There are mixed postings on this...some say they were able to order and others say it's "grayed out" but coming soon? I talked to a salesperson yesterday, not helpful. I emailed jeep cares, no response.

If I buy a 2019 Moab with Sky One Touch in one of the colors I want, with the other options I want (cold package and towing), there are very few available, they are many miles away from where I live, and dealers are not discounting that much. Therefore my choices are to pay invoice (5%? or $2K more than I hope to pay for a 2020) plus long distance shipping for a 2019 now or take my chances on what's coming in 2020.

I am the first to admit that is truly a very narrow, first world problem...it's just that I've caught the fever, I keep cars for a long time so it would be great to get what I want...and I guess you can't always get what you want!

What would you do??
Sponsored

Phillip5050

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
If you have until January that's a lot of time to see what's coming out. Maybe they'll release a new edition when the Sarge green color comes out. Also closer to the end of the year they might be more willing to deal 2019s for better prices.

LaurenLeigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS 2.0 Turbo Bikini Pearl; 2009 JK Sahara
I thought I saw the altitude version on the 2020 order guide, so I believe it’s still an option.

I ordered a 2020 Sahara with Sky One Touch Sunday and got a VIN Monday. It sounds like FCA may be limiting orders of certain options for short periods of time due to inventory control, but I doubt Sky One Touch will go away for good any time soon.

If Moab isn’t available (which I’m not sure about) I’ve seen other posts where people order a Sahara and have the dealer upgrade the rims and tires upon delivery. One person even mentioned getting Rubicon take offs from his dealer and I believe the dealer discounted his Sahara take offs from the cost since the dealer could still sell those. That wouldn’t require you to do any mods or figure out how to dispose of the old ones.

You could do the same with the blacked out emblems. Order the parts along with your Jeep and have the dealer swap them upon delivery before you pick it up.

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Are the mud/off road tyres the right choice for all that snow?

OP
OP
Parkcitywrangler
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 BMW X5, 2012 Mercedes GL450
Are the mud/off road tyres the right choice for all that snow?
Hi thank you very much...great point...I agree the tires that come with the Moab are NOT the best for snow however it snows so much where we live, I would need dedicated winter tires such as Blizzaks or their equivalents (if they make them in this size) anyway.

In my experience, it is not a matter of traction or tread pattern or tire model, it's more that there is no substitute for the different rubber compounds in a true winter tires that stay flexible at lower temperature which helps you gain grip and stop quicker on icy roads...which is the biggest risk where I live (imagine driving down a very steep hill and encountering a plow stopped in the road, or another car sideways around the bend in front of you). Except for studs which I don't see too much anymore.

The mud tires that come with the Moab will only be used a month or so around town and on dirt trails in the summer/fall and they are fine for that (assuming I can't switch them out upon purchase as others have done). I have driven my friend's Moab and they did not bother me, but it figures that despite all the negative feedback on those tires that Jeep still uses them on Moabs just to make our lives more interesting!

Thanks again I enjoy your posts and learn from you throughout this forum.

Sponsored

XAMfed

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I am 99.9% positive, Moab is not going to be around for 2020.

sna77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
So without getting into another Moab vs. Sahara vs. Rubicon debate ... after doing a lot of research I had decided to wait a few months and order a 2020 Moab with a Sky One Touch top from one of the dealers offering competitive pricing. I don't need the car until January, I need Selec Trac, I really want Sky One Touch, and I subjectively prefer the looks of a Moab over a Sahara.

What would you do??
I live in Massachusetts, and this is EXACTLY what I wanted (I would change the mud tires for KO2s).

I'm 40+ and work a gazliion hours per week. I don't have time or storage for a soft/hard top. I'm only buying a Wrangler bc the SkyTop exists.

I also really wanted SelectTrac. Anyone that lives in New England will understand that this is the drivetrain of choice around here. Rubicons come with it in Europe. Meh. My daughter will be learning to drive soon, and will inherit this car. SelectTrac is better for her.

Totally (subjectively) agree on the Moab looks (Rubicon clone essentially) vs all other Wranglers.

Long story short, I tried to order one (they weren't taking orders for them anymore), then had 2 sold out from under me at dealerships... Finally got annoyed and bought a Rubicon that was color combo and options that I wanted with the SkyTop. Not sure I'll give this car to my daughter now though...

It would be insanely stupid if they stopped selling the Moab--dealers around Boston couldn't keep them on the lot.. Supposed I'd also settle for a SelecTrac Rubicon :)

mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software
It would be insanely stupid if they stopped selling the Moab--dealers around Boston couldn't keep them on the lot.. Supposed I'd also settle for a SelecTrac Rubicon :)
Why not just option out a Sahara, change the tires (and wheels if you want 17's) and add the steel bumper. I think the only differences at this point would be the hood which you could also source, and the chrome trim vs black.

sna77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Why not just option out a Sahara, change the tires (and wheels if you want 17's) and add the steel bumper. I think the only differences at this point would be the hood which you could also source, and the chrome trim vs black.
That's the beauty of the MOAB--you didn't have to do any of that..

FWIW, optioning a Sahara to be a Moab costs more than buying a Moab buy a few $k... Plus, not a single dealer would stock that... I searched for a non-Moab Sahara with SelecTrac, and there were 2 within a 150 mile range of Boston...
Sponsored