Sponsored

Will the US 2019 Rubicon get Selec-trac, like the EU version?

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ Sport
Occupation
Tech
They already offer the Rubicon with the almost all of the touches of the Sahara: leather interior, painted flares and body color hard top.

What would be the point of a Sahara with Rubicon hard bits? Different hood decals?

I can see the appeal of the fulltime 4WD transfer case on a 'normal' SUV/minivan etc, and I think the Sahara is aimed at that crowd -- the folks who want a semi-lux family utility in a non-boring, genuinely-off-roadable package to set themselves apart from the crossover-crowded 'soft-roader' market. IMHO, the Rubicon is not aimed at those people.

No sense having separate models that are differentiated only by the decals on the hood.
Sponsored

AlexK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
Absolutely not. That’s what the Sahara is for.
Exactly.

Here in the UK, all JLs have Selec-Trac whether we like it or not, even though FCA confuses matters by calling it Command-Trac in the Sport and Sahara and Rock-Trac in the Rubicon. They're all still the Selec-Trac transfer case, although in the Rubicon it has a 4:1 low ratio.

Frankly, I think I can speak for the entire country when I say we would gladly swap our ridiculous watered-down Rubicon-in-name-only JL for your proper US-spec version.