Sponsored

Will the last JKs get the new engines?

myfirstjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
empty
Like most everyone on this site, I've been having all sorts of anxiety waiting for the JL to debut!

However, today something recently clicked in my mind about the current JK and the "special editions" that are expected to allow for a big finale. Will the special editions for the JK be minor trim changes like the WIllys Wheeler, Black Bear, and Hard Rock?

Or will the JK actually be offered, for the first time, with multiple engine options? Particularly the JL engines..

I've always liked the JK styling and have been fighting myself not to buy a Rubicon because the guys at Jeep are promising much better engines in terms of efficiency for the JL. So if the new JKs are offered with the JL engines, I might not even consider a JL.

Anyone know anything about this?
Sponsored

Nmp212

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 RAM 1500
Based on everything we have seen the JL's styling will probably be almost identical to the JK so you lose nothing by waiting IMO. As for new engines for the JK's last year I wouldn't count on it. I would think they would need to modify the JK for the new engines )except for maybe the upgraded Pentastar 3.6L) . You can bet they will save all the major changes for the JL.

CorpCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Quad Cab
The JL prototypes spotted so far have all been completely covered so its hard to tell styling other than the general shape being very similar to the JK.

No way the JK gets the JL engines. I believe fitting significantly different or new engines requires all new crash testing, which Jeep isn't going to spend the $ on for just one (or less) model year. Plus, they're going to save the new engines for the JL to help with its launch and get people interested in a new generation of Wranglers.

jb1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ Wrangler
If you're looking for better fuel economy the 2018 JK is not going to be rated any different. I'm hoping / expecting big improvement in this for the JL with the engine upgrades and aero changes.

2018-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-Rubicon-JLWRANGLERFORUMS-2.jpg

OP
OP

myfirstjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
empty
Ahh, so my curiosity has been satisfied then.

I guess the "Special Edition" JKs will all be primarily different trims.