Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
A dash cam is typically too high when you are climbing slick rocks or cresting a hill. It’s tough to see over the front of the hood. A grill mounted camera really helps. Or in my case the camera is mounted below the bumper.
Agreed. I think we're saying the same thing; maybe my words got lost in translation.

There are cameras to record the journey for posterity and cameras to insure you see things while on the journey, which don't necessarily record what they find. so the journey is worth recording for posterity and not an invitation to travel immediately thereafter to the auto collision shop to get your rig's damage from the journey fixed.... : - )
Sponsored

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
If FCA releases just such a camera, will it work at the same time with their hood lock?

I was to understand, I hope incorrectly, the rig real estate occupied by the hood lock might prevent installation of the front camera.
Would suspect if FCA dropped the front cam location and incorporated another slot in the grill the OEM hood lock could still be used just fine. But for a dash cam - that device is key to capture a record of collisions. We use 4K for max resolution and mount is also visible in the pic below.

E2F4C6B6-0D2C-41A4-9E42-F196E264BF88.png

superd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi 2020
Going thru this now with an Alpine install. Just remember if you have lights and a winch, in the grill is probably not going to do what you want. Also for trail work fwiw the front cam with Tazer they tell me is not hi res.
One piece of advice I got with an after market bumper “ just drill a square hole for it”. In 1/4 inch steel?

Kizzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Wrangler
Yes. It will come to the JL (likely Rubicon only). They have to add some new feature, special edition package, or color for the new model year. Plus a price increase :)
Sponsored