Sponsored

Will the Bronco cause a price drop for the Wrangler?

Too Much Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One
Supply will be low at dealerships now since the year model is changing. I doubt anyone will be buying a supply of past year models unless they have pre sold 2020’s.
Incentives are the new way of immediately getting a price reduction and I doubt anything will change in the first year.
Sponsored

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
So you can get a 2 door bronco with 35’s and front and rear lockers for under 35k. It may be IFS but you get a Dana 220 and a Dana 210 up front with 4.7 gearing and a 3:1 transfer case. Do you think Rubicons will drop in price?
price drop? with the sharp increase of money supply on the US market prices have only one way to go and that will apply just for about anything , my advice is to buy now rather than later

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
For the 2nd time in as many months, FCA has just made Employee Pricing on Gladiator. Most models now show 10% off MSRP —Rubicon and Mojave excl.— before any dealer discounts. That suggests that sales are not as good as FCA would like them to be. I can see Employee Pricing being extended to JL as a preemptive move right before Bronco hits showrooms.

Also, with Ford making the Sasquatch off-road package available across all trim levels, and FCA already making a wider set of options available across all trim levels, I can see Jeep making lockers and swaybar disconnect stand-alone options available on Sport and Sahara. Particularly if the Sasquatch pricing model proves successful. This would clearly dilute the “Rubicon” name, but FCA has shown to hold very few things sacred when it comes to pushing sales.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I thought about this before buying my Wrangler. I don't think prices will drop. I like the Bronco but I'm not a Ford fan. I won't buy one. I think many of their buyers will come from the Explorer/Raptor pool. I think it's safe to say most Jeep customers are not going to jump ship for one.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Yea, I don't think prices will drop, I think you'll start to see FCA loosen up on trim exclusives. The Bronco does come with a lot more stuff base than a bare-bones JL Sport. FCA doesn't need to drop prices, really, they just need to maybe bump up their absolute base offerings and then open up a few options across the board like Bronco does with the Sasquatch package.

Sponsored

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Unless a new model is overwhelmingly better, the Me Too models generally don't get a lot of traction. Examples: Camaro vs Mustang, Ford/Chev diesel pickup vs Dodge Cummins, any entry sports car vs Miata, any 4-seat sports car vs Porsche 911, Thunderbird vs Covette. It's always the original that outsells and survives. Jeep Jx will be no different.

Jeep will use end of the year incentives to move prior MY inventory, as always. Minimal discounts for ordering and at the dealership, as always. They will continue to sell very well and retain value even if their technology, engineering and design are dated. It's a Jeep!

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
weathered the Bronco the first time.
If FMC had kept its eye on the ball, ('69-'71 vintage 302 V8) we'd be wheeling better Jeeps today at cheaper pricing. Wheeled one of those and it wiped the CJ5 both on 4WD trails and interstates. CJs, however, rusted much less than Broncos. That's why so many more are still wheeling. Note the 0 door trim roadster and 2 door pickup offerings from 1969 Bronco build options. MM MMM!

Jeep Wrangler JL Will the Bronco cause a price drop for the Wrangler? Zero door roadster

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
I’d expect to see manufacturer incentives for a while if there is a need to move inventory. But it may not make sense over the longer term to drop prices but rather just decrease production to adjust to market demand. A business that drops prices by x% has to increase the volumes sold by much more than x% in order to achieve the same total profit.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I’d expect to see manufacturer incentives for a while if there is a need to move inventory. But it may not make sense over the longer term to drop prices but rather just decrease production to adjust to market demand. A business that drops prices by x% has to increase the volumes sold by much more than x% in order to achieve the same total profit.
That makes sense in every industry but automaking, unfortunately.

Auto manufacturing is so capital intensive that automakers are encouraged to keep plants running as close to capacity as possible; every additional unit produced helps amortize those huge upfront costs.

That’s why most automakers rather keep production running and then add rebates and discounts, than cut production. Detroit automakers more so due to lower flexibility from unionized plants.

Automakers will only contemplate a reduction in production as the option of last resort.

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
If FMC had kept its eye on the ball, ('69-'71 vintage 302 V8) we'd be wheeling better Jeeps today at cheaper pricing. Wheeled one of those and it wiped the CJ5 both on 4WD trails and interstates. CJs, however, rusted much less than Broncos. That's why so many more are still wheeling. Note the 0 door trim roadster and 2 door pickup offerings from 1969 Bronco build options. MM MMM!
Agreed. I grew up with a 1974 Bronco. V8... 3 speed on the column... but towards the end the only thing holding it together was the paint. You could almost hear it rusting... even over the V8 + Magnaflow. Uncomfortable as hell.... cold as my ex-wife, but damn that thing was fun.

Sponsored

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
That makes sense in every industry but automaking, unfortunately.

Auto manufacturing is so capital intensive that automakers are encouraged to keep plants running as close to capacity as possible; every additional unit produced helps amortize those huge upfront costs.

That’s why most automakers rather keep production running and then add rebates and discounts, than cut production. Detroit automakers more so due to lower flexibility from unionized plants.

Automakers will only contemplate a reduction in production as the option of last resort.
Good for customer but dumb for FCA to not have a mixed model assembly capability in Toledo. Part of their strategy to reduce the upfront capital is to partner with suppliers. Both Hyundai and KUKA have plants on the Wrangler campus.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Drive a short drive to Lexington. You can have your choice of every color, every option at all three of the local dealerships.

As for the original question, why? The price isnt going to drop and if it did it will be several years down the road. Many will buy the Bronco because it is the latest and greatest. The consumer will decide if they stay or go back to Wrangler. Jeep wont know for years so no need to drop their price now.
The latest shiny penny is what many are looking for. The REAL bronco failed before and it had a SFA. Personally I thought the older one was better then its contemporary (jeep), yet it still failed.

Thinking maybe there really is only one jeep.....

Happycoop

First Name
Coop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 GX470, 2015 Range Rover Evoque
No I can’t. And neither can you.
No. I. Don’t.
No.
Actually, you can. The base 2 door Bronco starts at $28.5k, to which you add $1,495 destination, and then $5k for the Sasquatch package (which gives you the M210 front and M220 rear along with lockers in the front and rear axles and 35" tires). It squeaks in right under $35k.

Happycoop

First Name
Coop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 GX470, 2015 Range Rover Evoque
What happens if Broncos sell 50k units a year at some point in the near future?
There are already over 150k reservations for the Bronco. Naturally some of those will be cancelled, but certainly there are more to come prior to the actual release. IIRC, Ford is planning to produce 200k Broncos per year, so your 50k number seems quite low.

I think Jeep will be forced to decision-plan knowing there is now an alternate option for folks wanting top and doors off in an off-road capable vehicle. I doubt that means they will lower the price, but as others have speculated, I could see the expansion of options to some lower trim levels or other adjustments in order to entice folks.
Sponsored