Sponsored

Will the 4xe be unusable in hot weather?!

Faresalsal

First Name
Fares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL / 2012 Mustang Boss302 / 1998 Cherokee Sport
I live in Phoenix and was thinking about buying a 4xe this fall. But in reading the Hybrid Supplement (https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/downloads/2021-Wrangler-4xe-Hybrid-Supplement.pdf) it looks like the 4xe will refuse to start if the batteries are over 131 F and it's not plugged in. The batteries are in the passenger compartment, and that temperature is reached in an hour or less parked in the summer sun here. Am I missing something? I could understand if the batteries can't be used or charged when they're that hot, but to prevent the Jeep from starting at all is nuts. I thought I was misreading the manual but it's listed multiple times. Why can't it just run on the gas engine? This totally kills the 4xe for me.

Page 7:

Page 27:

Page 76:
Damn, and i thought it would be nice to have this over the 392.. here in Kuwait 131Ā°F (55Ā°C) is average temps during 6 months of the year. i guess jeep is not gonna send the 4xe to the middle east.

Geesmill

First Name
Gees
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Duramax; Chevy Volt
And now, back to our regularly scheduled program...
Will the 4xe be unusable in hot weather?!
:)
Sorry for the diversion. Jaime's set up is quite impressive and I just had many questions. In the future I will DM things like that.

Roverhi

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Series 2 88
Clubs

I'm sure Jeep tested the hybrid arrangement in the worst possible conditions. If the batteries are too hot to use at startup, the 2.0 liter will take over and run the A/C coolant through the batteries and they'll soon be cool enough to get back on line. Battery use may be somewhat limited by the ambient temperature but the truck will still run on gasoline if necessary.

Sponsored

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe ordered 11/6/20; delivered 5/13/21
Build Thread
Link
...Battery use may be somewhat limited by the ambient temperature but the truck will still run on gasoline if necessary.
I truly hope you are right, but that is NOT what the manual says. I asked my salesman, @PaulwithJeep, for clarification, but nothing useful has come back from JEEP.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
Now that itā€™s been a year, any updates on this?
If battery is inside the Jeep and the interior can get to 140 degrees on a hot day, and youā€™re in a parking lot with no plug, has anybody had a problem with it starting?
Does anybody who lives in a hot area notice any battery degradation from the batteries being cooked all day?

JLSmitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Now that itā€™s been a year, any updates on this?
If battery is inside the Jeep and the interior can get to 140 degrees on a hot day, and youā€™re in a parking lot with no plug, has anybody had a problem with it starting?
Does anybody who lives in a hot area notice any battery degradation from the batteries being cooked all day?
Iā€™m over 18,000 miles, use mine as my daily driver, and am on my 2nd Texas summer. I havenā€™t had any problems with the heat affecting mine after sitting unplugged in the hot sun. Also have no noticeable battery degradation. When Iā€™m driving in the mornings when itā€™s cooler with no AC, I get the same range as I did when it was brand new.

DewHawk

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD, '04 M3
Occupation
USAF F-16 Crew Chief
This photo is taken straight from Barlow Adventures website. For those that don't know, Nena Barlow (owner and operator) is also the current defending champion of the Rebelle Rally from last year which she and her co-driver Teralin Petereit competed in and won with a 4xe. Barlow Adventures runs 4xe's in Sedona and is continuing to expand their fleet with them.

Jeep Wrangler JL Will the 4xe be unusable in hot weather?! BA-blog-5-20-1

If the 4xe can stand up to an 8 day, 1550+ mile off road rally event in the burning deserts of Nevada and California and serve as rentals in Arizona, I'm pretty sure they'll be just fine for everyday use.

Sponsored

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
Iā€™m over 18,000 miles, use mine as my daily driver, and am on my 2nd Texas summer. I havenā€™t had any problems with the heat affecting mine after sitting unplugged in the hot sun. Also have no noticeable battery degradation. When Iā€™m driving in the mornings when itā€™s cooler with no AC, I get the same range as I did when it was brand new.
Good to hear.
If you donā€™t mind me asking what range did you get brand new? What range do you get with AC on?
I know some degradation is normal on EVā€™s but Jeep only starts with 21 miles so Iā€™m hoping owning for 6 years or so doesnā€™t leave me with 15 miles or less.

Bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2021 Sahara 4xe
The
Good to hear.
If you donā€™t mind me asking what range did you get brand new? What range do you get with AC on?
I know some degradation is normal on EVā€™s but Jeep only starts with 21 miles so Iā€™m hoping owning for 6 years or so doesnā€™t leave me with 15 miles or less.
We're at 13000 miles, no noticeable loss of range.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
This photo is taken straight from Barlow Adventures website. For those that don't know, Nena Barlow (owner and operator) is also the current defending champion of the Rebelle Rally from last year which she and her co-driver Teralin Petereit competed in and won with a 4xe. Barlow Adventures runs 4xe's in Sedona and is continuing to expand their fleet with them.

Jeep Wrangler JL Will the 4xe be unusable in hot weather?! BA-blog-5-20-1

If the 4xe can stand up to an 8 day, 1550+ mile off road rally event in the burning deserts of Nevada and California and serve as rentals in Arizona, I'm pretty sure they'll be just fine for everyday use.
This seems good proof of real world endurance, but I canā€™t wrap my head around how these batteries stay cool in a hot car. Once itā€™s running the coolant system should help, but off itā€™s just soaking up heat. Maybe the seats help insulate it?
Good to see these seem to be holding up in abusive conditions.

DewHawk

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD, '04 M3
Occupation
USAF F-16 Crew Chief
Good to hear.
Depends. Stock I was averaging about 26-28 miles to the charge even on KO2ā€™s with the AC off and on. Now on 37ā€™s I average between 21-26 and it mostly depends on how many hills I climb.

The battery has its own connection to the AC circuit and can regulate its own temperature to maintain peak efficiency under normal operation. It struggles when temperatures reach extremes and requires a plug in high voltage source to adapt to the conditions. Once it has, itā€™s essentially recalibrated to handle whatever extreme youā€™re throwing at it.

TL;DR : Iā€™ve never personally had an instance with it struggling to survive in below 0 weather in Colorado or above 100 weather in Moab.

JLSmitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Good to hear.
Iā€™ve always got between 26-29 all electric miles on my daily route, which is mostly at 35-45mph and about 3 miles doing 60ish mph. Running my AC takes about 10% more battery charge on my 21 mile one way trip, so figure about 3 miles less range overall. I am one of the lucky ones that can charge at work before going home, so I rarely if ever use gas to and from work
Sponsored