Sponsored

Will the 4xe be unusable in hot weather?!

Geesmill

First Name
Gees
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Duramax; Chevy Volt
For a lot of people it doesn't make sense to go off grid. For me it was a no brainer. I am in the solar industry so I have special pricing and was building a new house so I put it into my mortgage. Normal price for what I built would have been around 175k, I paid 90k.
Holy smokes, that sounds like an enormous system. Mind if I ask how many kWs of solar and what size battery you installed? I'm planning on starting with enough storage to get back on Time of Use, so I can shave our usage during the peak time frames.
Sponsored

Jamie Brown

First Name
Jamie Brown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC 3500AT4, Nissan Leaf, RAM 4500
Holy smokes, that sounds like an enormous system. Mind if I ask how many kWs of solar and what size battery you installed? I'm planning on starting with enough storage to get back on Time of Use, so I can shave our usage during the peak time frames.
16kw of solar with 40kwh of batteries.

A018B2D1-B2F2-4BC1-BED6-5AED4DA197F8.jpeg

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
I don't know how the 4xe works, but in a Tesla, when the temperature reaches a certain threshold, the climate control kicks on to cool it down to keep the temperature from reaching excessive levels that could damage the components. I don't know exactly what it is, but I guesstimate it to be something in the 90s.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I don't know how the 4xe works, but in a Tesla, when the temperature reaches a certain threshold, the climate control kicks on to cool it down to keep the temperature from reaching excessive levels that could damage the components. I don't know exactly what it is, but I guesstimate it to be something in the 90s.
You are correct - my Tesla AC kicks on when the interior temp hits 105...though you can disable the function...you can also remotely lower the windows if so desired.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I am hoping one will be on a local lot in the next few weeks so I can drive one. Im deciding between this and an Eco-Diesel. I am really torn between the two, and research is actually making it harder. I Would love to drive both back to back before I order. If I cant drive one ill have to keep watching the reviews on here when people get them.

As far as the heat issue, I also wont order unless we have a definitive answer on how it will work as I live in AZ and over half the year would make the interior over 100 degrees when outside sitting.

Sponsored

Geesmill

First Name
Gees
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Duramax; Chevy Volt

Jeep Wrangler JL Will the 4xe be unusable in hot weather?! A018B2D1-B2F2-4BC1-BED6-5AED4DA197F8
That is an impressive system. I'm still having to wait till storage prices come down some more. The installed inverter is storage ready, but before we installed the solar the utility was putting the kWs we produced into a bank for later use and they still do that. Recently the utility has added demand charges, so I'm just looking to shave demand during evening hours, but the demand charges are only $1.50/kW of demand from 4-9pm, so it is hard to justify installing batteries at current prices. Are those Relion batteries LifePO?

Geesmill

First Name
Gees
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Duramax; Chevy Volt
That is an impressive system. I'm still having to wait till storage prices come down some more. The installed inverter is storage ready, but before we installed the solar the utility was putting the kWs we produced into a bank for later use and they still do that. Recently the utility has added demand charges, so I'm just looking to shave demand during evening hours, but the demand charges are only $1.50/kW of demand from 4-9pm, so it is hard to justify installing batteries at current prices. Are those Relion batteries LifePO?
Oh my, I just googled those Relion batteries. That is so major league money sitting right there. Nice.

Geesmill

First Name
Gees
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Duramax; Chevy Volt

Jeep Wrangler JL Will the 4xe be unusable in hot weather?! A018B2D1-B2F2-4BC1-BED6-5AED4DA197F8
Is your house all-electric? I couldn't talk my wife out of a gas stove, so we connected to the natural gas mains. How about the HVAC system? Do you live in a place where a heat pump works for you? My builder talked me out of one in our location because we do get some fairly low temps. Eventually, as heat pumps continue to get better at lower temps we will be able to get off our natural gas and then add some more panels and another inverter. Going to be a battle to get this stove out of here though...

phobos512

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I aspire to a 4xe
Is your house all-electric? I couldn't talk my wife out of a gas stove, so we connected to the natural gas mains. How about the HVAC system? Do you live in a place where a heat pump works for you? My builder talked me out of one in our location because we do get some fairly low temps. Eventually, as heat pumps continue to get better at lower temps we will be able to get off our natural gas and then add some more panels and another inverter. Going to be a battle to get this stove out of here though...
Our house is all electric and we have a heat pump. Don't have solar or backup batteries yet but someday would like to. No gas pipes in our neighborhood at all. All my yard equipment is electric as well.

Our range is a brand new Whirpool double oven unit, works great. Gets hot very fast. Use cast iron cookware on it all the time. Not at all like the janky electric stove my parents had when I was a kid.

The only electric thing in the house that isn't brand new six months old is in fact the heat pump, it's 2017 vintage and wasn't replaced when the place was remodeled.

Fcmalie

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
How is this really “green” when you have to expend electricity to keep an unmanned vehicle from self destructing... Here in California we regularly have rolling blackouts for Unforeseen circumstances like when it’s hot in the summer or when it’s windy.

I can see it now, it got too hot so Edison did a blackout and because there was no electricity the battery was damaged, what a mess.
How often do you guys have rolling blackouts down south? Last year was the first rolling blackouts we've seen in a decade around the central valley, and my power never went out.

Sponsored

ITGuy

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
How often do you guys have rolling blackouts down south? Last year was the first rolling blackouts we've seen in a decade around the central valley, and my power never went out.
I checked my Edison account and Last summer there were 19 “preventative” blackouts due to high winds, or red flag conditions…. And 3 power failures due to demand.

the number actually seemed low to me…

Fcmalie

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
I checked my Edison account and Last summer there were 19 “preventative” blackouts due to high winds, or red flag conditions…. And 3 power failures due to demand.

the number actually seemed low to me…
Ah ok, that's what's happening out in the foothills/mountains around us, but hasn't happened n the valley yet I think PG&E shut down one area for 3 days because of wind. Then again, I think they have been found liable in 2 or 3 fires over the last couple years, so that is costing them a lot.

Jamie Brown

First Name
Jamie Brown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They are Lithium Iron Phosphate, super heavy batteries. These are on wheels but the new boxes don't have wheels so they are harder to move around.

Jamie Brown

First Name
Jamie Brown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My heat is a wood boiler, my stove is gas, and no heat pump. My ac is a 22seer variable speed. I designed the house around the solar because I knew from experience (14yrs of solar installs) what I needed to do.