Sponsored

Will the 4xe be unusable in hot weather?!

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
If the gas engine won't start in these conditions, a Jumper is needed ( in this case a sensor that lies to the system about temperature) so the vehicle can be started, run on gas to "condition " the battery. Imagine trying to evacuate in a fire, or blizzard, and the damn thing won't start the GAS ENGINE
Sponsored

blueweb

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 TJ Rubicon, '22 4xe Rubicon
Is the high voltage battery pack in the 4xe water-cooled or air-cooled?

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
It gets coolant from the engine, so water cooled.

LazyJL

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2001 built XJ, 1997 near stock XJ
Occupation
Retired fabricator and mechanic
This is why I posted seeking confirmation -- because it sounds totally insane as written. How can you sell vehicles that intentionally strand people during summer months? But as Gazelle and I interpret the manual, it clearly states that the Jeep will not start if the battery temperature exceeds 131 F.
Here in SoCal, the temps hit 121 degrees last summer and the interior of anything parked outside would be way above 131 degrees by mid-day. I would hate to have to get the battery jumper out to start on a hot day.
I also see a problem for anyone living in a very cold northern climate with the -22 degree starting cutoff. Along with a block heater, a battery heater would also be needed.
Lithium batteries may be fine for street vehicles but for off-road vehicles, used in extreme climates, I would stick to a conventional engine.
With the changing climate and large temperature swings, almost anywhere could be considered to be a temporary extreme climate.

To cure the temperature issue, installing a lead-acid starting battery would work, it seems silly not to be able to start in very hot or cold conditions. Never had any temperature-related starting issues with my old XJ Cherokees and they have seen both extremely hot and cold conditions.
High-tech and off-roading are not always compatible, sometimes the old ways are better and more dependable..

Larry

Bumps Ahead

First Name
Valerie & Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ontherocks4x4.org
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Happy Wife, Happy Life....
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

JKU15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
I'm really glad this was brought up - I'm in Vegas and was literally about to order. Gonna hold off and see real world usage.

Made me think of this fake plug socket I saw on Engineer Pass in CO a few years ago though
Jeep Wrangler JL Will the 4xe be unusable in hot weather?! Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 1.48.37 PM

blueweb

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 TJ Rubicon, '22 4xe Rubicon
for off-road vehicles, used in extreme climates
I don't know any person who would want to go off-roading when it is either -22°F (-30°C) or over 122°F (50°C). That doesn't sound like fun at all.

Lead-acid batteries are definitely not the solution to this problem. They contain water inside of them, which if they freeze, can cause irreparable damage to the cells. Not to mention that lithium batteries are on average 55% lighter.

OP
OP

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
Would be great if @JeepCares could clarify.....

agree, would be great to get clarification, as anyone hitting 90 outside will likely hit the 131 limit in about 50 minutes https://goodcalculators.com/inside-car-temperature-calculator/
5609EDC6-1502-47CC-ABE1-EA0CFAF7D9C3.jpeg
One help is that the battery temperature will lag behind the interior air temperature because of the thermal mass of the batteries. They'll take longer to heat up. But in 2020, we had 144 days over 100 degrees, 53 days over 110 degrees, and 15 days over 115 degrees. 🥵 I can't have it where I park outside at 110 F and after an hour, my Jeep won't start. Or after being parked all afternoon at 100 F.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know any person who would want to go off-roading when it is either -22°F (-30°C) or over 122°F (50°C). That doesn't sound like fun at all.

Lead-acid batteries are definitely not the solution to this problem. They contain water inside of them, which if they freeze, can cause irreparable damage to the cells. Not to mention that lithium batteries are on average 55% lighter.
it will be close to 100 degrees here in Phoenix next week. last year we had a record number of days over 110 degrees. We were out almost every weekend and were not alone. There are lots of people who go off-road year roud in both extremes. I agree its not ideal and you try to get out early, when you live in the desert you enjoy it as much as you can.

Last edited:

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL

The temperatures in a battery compartment, under a stationary vehicle can easily hit these high and low temperatures. Think Heat Soak, Wind Chill. Heat from auxiliary systems, such as the still present catalytic converter can drive up temps real fast.
As can driving over hot pavement...
This is a MAJOR Flaw in a vehicle that is meant to be used in extreme conditions. I had been thinking , great vehicle to escape fires, not reliant on oxygen like an ICE engine, great Search and Rescue capabilities. Won't freeze up in super low temperatures..
THINK AGAIN.

Last edited:

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe
I play with lithium ion batteries some for camping batteries and I am building one now to replace my boat's trolling motor batteries. From everything I read these batteries tend to like the same temperatures we do. You can actually destroy a lithium ion battery trying to charge it below freezing. I am certain that Jeep has put software in the system to keep that from happening.

If I had to guess the way the manual is written may be misleading. It may mean that only the gas motor will run until the batteries cool off. From what I understand, correct me if I am wrong, the starting system is still 12 volts. Alternatively the Jeep's battery pack could be, and probably is, pretty well insulated. This would make since because even if you are using your engine to cool the batteries it would be much more efficient if it were insulated and would protect the batteries.

Still something I would definitely want to check out to make sure this thing is not going to leave you stranded.

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe
I am curious, how does this work? Engine coolant is normally around 200 degrees.
I have a feeling it is going to work like this.

https://www.hella.com/techworld/us/...agement-in-electric-and-hybrid-vehicles-1725/

Looks like most of the cooling is via the air conditioning cooling. Also I am pretty sure the AC compressor runs off of the 17 kw battery. This could be one reason I may be incorrect in thinking that the gas motor will start even if the hybrid battery is too hot.

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
I am curious, how does this work? Engine coolant is normally around 200 degrees.
The engineer in charge of the project, in which TFL talked to, didn't go into specifics.
Sponsored