Will the 392 Join in the end game?

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
I personally completely agree that car makers need to move towards vehicles which do not produce emissions (excluding what it takes to make them)
However, why limit it?
If Jeep or Honda or who ever comes up with a way to eliminate emissions from ICE cars.. what's the issue?
Sponsored

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
It‘s funny that over 120 years ago electric vehicles were a thing, and very popular for city transportation. They also raced electric cars in the late 1800’s. Ironically, Henry Ford’s wife drove an electric car because they were popular with ladies who had a hard time crank starting gas engines of the day, and she thought his Model T was dirty. Electric cars could have continued to dominate, except for two things: in the early 1900’s gas powered cars were becoming much cheaper, and ironically the advent of the electric motor starter eliminated the need to crank start gas engines, and that pretty much killed the more expensive electric cars.

And now they’re baaaaack…..

Here’s a brief but fascinating history of electric cars from Car and Driver:

https://www.caranddriver.com/featur...-history-of-the-electric-car-1830-to-present/

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Quick search, depending on study, is showing anywhere from 63 to 80% of homes having garages or carports. However, that wasn't even the point. The point is that EV cars are not filled up in the same way we do cars so it is a different mindset.
That is the point and ultimately the problem. People don't want a different mindset. They want to exercise the same behavior they've been doing for decades or, at worst, have the flexibility to go back and forth. Yes, charging an EV overnight in the safety of your garage is sensible and convenient for you, but mass adoption requires getting the lowest common denominator involved. That's gonna be people who don't have garages, have to park on busy streets, or would rather charge their vehicle only when absolutely necessary.

In addition, since the vast majority (as in like 95%) of people don't drive more than 35 miles per day, range really should not be an issue when EV cars have 200-300 mile range already. Sure if you are in that 5% that drives a bunch of miles on a daily basis or frequently does long road trips, an EV car might not make sense. I never said otherwise.
There is no way this statistic is anywhere close to being accurate, especially with the tens of millions of people who live in small, rural towns outside of big cities.

Yeah, it would be nice if you could charge up in 5 minutes but the reality is that isn't really necessary for typical EV usage since the cars are charged when parked at a destination or topped off at home every night unlike an ICE car which is filled up when tank is empty.
"Typical EV usage" is niche right now. Niche ain't gonna work for the masses.

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I’m excited for something new, I ride a lot of motorcycles and Ready for EV a motorcycle once the range gets there.

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
What's really crazy is Stellantis/Dodge is throwing everything and the kitchen sink at the Hellcats giving customers all kinds of goodies like custom tunes that give 100+hp and all kinds of interior options and paint schemes in the final 2 years.

When it comes to Jeep nothing. A big Ole middle finger to the Jeepers. Give the bare minimum and charge the maximum prices cause they'll pay it. Lol.

Options for the 2 door is all but dead. No Recon package or anything. And the V8 4 door is basically a luxury package only fully loaded with all the expensive goodies at maximum price.

You would think that Jeep being owned by the same company as Dodge would want to throw a V8 going away party too and at least make available a less optioned less expensive 392 Wrangler without all the tech and leather.

I guess at least we should be grateful they gave us a Extreme Recon Willys 4 door only that's about the same money as a Rubicon and has no lockers. It's got 35s though. 👍🤣

Sponsored

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle Sport Diesel
Just wait until restomodding classic cars includes replacing ICEs with EV drivetrains. Can't wait to hear the belly aches on that one.
Doubt it, because the government isn’t mandating it. That seems to be the common issue.

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your assessment of practicality is absolutely correct but man doesn’t live by practicality alone. I spent my formative years in NHRA pits., have always had hot rods, including a 1 of 500 (eng. serial #HP 360) Plymouth, a blown 454 powered Sanger boat and a blown Chevy powered CJ5. Life includes the things you have a passion for, not just practicality. I presently drive a GC SRT, a V10 Dodge PU , and my new Rubi 392 after wanting a Wrangler for years but no V8 no sale. Now the government is doing it’s best to eliminate what I am the most passionate about and gives me joy. It’s heartbreaking to me and other gear heads like me.
I find it ironic the guy was arguing about what is practical when he owns a jeep which only 9% of us use for “jeeping.”

The practical approach are Smart car sized EVs and the government forcing manufacturers to limit the 0-60 time to no faster than 7 seconds. We’re only one egregious accident of some idiot driving over a kid in a 25 mph neighborhood testing his 2.3s 0-60 time from that limitation.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
What's really crazy is Stellantis/Dodge is throwing everything and the kitchen sink at the Hellcats giving customers all kinds of goodies like custom tunes that give 100+hp and all kinds of interior options and paint schemes in the final 2 years.

When it comes to Jeep nothing. A big Ole middle finger to the Jeepers. Give the bare minimum and charge the maximum prices cause they'll pay it. Lol.

Options for the 2 door is all but dead. No Recon package or anything. And the V8 4 door is basically a luxury package only fully loaded with all the expensive goodies at maximum price.

You would think that Jeep being owned by the same company as Dodge would want to throw a V8 going away party too and at least make available a less optioned less expensive 392 Wrangler without all the tech and leather.

I guess at least we should be grateful they gave us a Extreme Recon Willys 4 door only that's about the same money as a Rubicon and has no lockers. It's got 35s though. 👍🤣
FCA always released special packages for vehicles that everyone thought would be unique, special, and limited, and then the following year they'd become a trim with a new name. The JK 10th Anniversary Rubicon became the JK Rubicon X/Hard Rock. The Challenger Demon basically became the Redeye. Even the options once exclusive to SRT products are now common features on R/T Scat Packs.

Stellantis obviously has different plans for the future, but assuming they're only killing the Hellcat, there may still be hope for some flexibility in the Wrangler 392. I think the engine will stick around a little longer, especially since it's currently the sole engine for the Grand Wagoneer and Jeep is heavily invested in its revival.

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I personally completely agree that car makers need to move towards vehicles which do not produce emissions (excluding what it takes to make them)
However, why limit it?
If Jeep or Honda or who ever comes up with a way to eliminate emissions from ICE cars.. what's the issue?
Why exclude production emissions? Let’s carbon tax the manufactures too. Then they only need to make cars that go about 35 miles a day and there is no reason they need to do 0-60 in anything faster than 10s. By heavily taxing those vehicles we can steer more people to the “right choice.” I bet I could make a pretty solid use case for limiting 0-60 times under the guise of public safety.

Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
I find it ironic the guy was arguing about what is practical when he owns a jeep which only 9% of us use for “jeeping.”

The practical approach are Smart car sized EVs and the government forcing manufacturers to limit the 0-60 time to no faster than 7 seconds. We’re only one egregious accident of some idiot driving over a kid in a 25 mph neighborhood testing his 2.3s 0-60 time from that limitation.
Using accidents , incidents or a crisis ( actual or created ) and using them to create laws, mandates, restrictions and regulations to advance their agenda is a favorite tactic ( never let a crisis go to waste)

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Using accidents , incidents or a crisis ( actual or created ) and using them to create laws, mandates, restrictions and regulations to advance their agenda is a favorite tactic ( never let a crisis go to waste)
Yeah, it’s fun. I see why they’re addicted to it. It makes me feel powerful telling others what choices to make. This is cool.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Except Stellantis inherited that revival. Does a single person here actually believe that and CDRJ dealer is capable of providing the buying and service experience that a $110,000 customer would expect and demand?

graytrucks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392, 2020 LR Discovery, 2015 RR Sport SC
Produce an EV that sounds like a V8 and I will consider one….maybe

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I'm not a huge EV fan but reducing our fossil fuel consumption will break our reliance on the Middle East. Most of the terrorism in the world is due to continuing to poke a stick into that hornet's nest.
Sponsored