Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Your one of the few people that have offered up some reasonable thinking no one is willing to talk about. Funny, all these snowflakes do not want any new power stations to be built, especially nuclear, so where is this electricity going to come from? Heck we can’t even supply enough power needed now. Ev have there place and I’m very impressed with the current growth in this space. Tesla is very interesting. How about the solar panels, these things have been improving, becoming less expensive to manufacture but continue to cost more to install. Makes no sense. And don’t get me started on wind turbines. I’m from cape cod Ma. (not living there anymore) and they installed wind turbines off the coast of one of the most beautiful places to live or visit and have totally destroyed everything about it. Just imagine sitting on the beach looking out into the ocean and all you see are these wind turbines sticking up out of the water. Now that’s a great vacation picture. There are also wind turbines that have not worked since install because I was told they need maintenance. One of these in particular has not worked in over 5 years. This whole power grid is a mess.
I bought a home in a foothill community. In the summer at about noon when the AC’s fired up the power went down. It would be turned back on at 10 PM after it cooled down. You could reset your clocks by it. It cost me a whole house generator and a 500 gallon propane tank to not be miserably hot all day every day in the summer. Yep, everybody plug in there electric car!!!

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Sahara 4xe (wife's)
I

I have to politely disagree. The government throws out mandates without regard to size of constituent groups, public opinion, who it hurts or how much it hurts them as long as it advances their agenda.
I don't think we disagree at all. My point about government mandates was exactly that, they don't care who is negatively impacted by mandates or if it indirectly infringes on individual rights/freedoms.

There will likely come a time (could be 2, 5, or 25 years) when the government mandates the end of ICEs in passenger vehicles. This will likely happen whether or not then current EVs can replace all capabilities/use cases of ICE vehicles.

Like you said, the government doesn't care who/how much a mandate hurts certain groups, as long as it advances their agenda.

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Just looking at this, the off road capabilities could be endless-
tesla-model-s-platform-1619036605.jpeg?crop=0.jpg

The axles come from center unlike the Bronco trash IFS
Tesla-Model-S-drivetrain-600.jpg

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think we disagree at all. My point about government mandates was exactly that, they don't care who is negatively impacted by mandates or if it indirectly infringes on individual rights/freedoms.

There will likely come a time (could be 2, 5, or 25 years) when the government mandates the end of ICEs in passenger vehicles. This will likely happen whether or not then current EVs can replace all capabilities/use cases of ICE vehicles.

Like you said, the government doesn't care who/how much a mandate hurts certain groups, as long as it advances their agenda.
We completely agree. I just wanted to expand on “small “ when it is “all”of us

Sponsored

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle Sport Diesel
Charging time will get sorted but it’ll take a decade I think. But it’ll get to 80% in 5 minutes. It’s already been POC’d.

Don’t get me wrong I love my ICE’s but it’s pretty obvious where investment dollars are going.
It’s never going to get that fast. Ever. I watched a NOVA on the subject and those people smarter than me said at best we will see a 10% reduction in charge times.

Uncommon Sense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray '22 392XR
LOL @ thinking the vast majority of Americans just pull into garages.
LOL at your lack of reading comprehension and inability to at least do some rudimentary research.

Quick search, depending on study, is showing anywhere from 63 to 80% of homes having garages or carports. However, that wasn't even the point. The point is that EV cars are not filled up in the same way we do cars so it is a different mindset.

In addition, since the vast majority (as in like 95%) of people don't drive more than 35 miles per day, range really should not be an issue when EV cars have 200-300 mile range already. Sure if you are in that 5% that drives a bunch of miles on a daily basis or frequently does long road trips, an EV car might not make sense. I never said otherwise.

Yeah, it would be nice if you could charge up in 5 minutes but the reality is that isn't really necessary for typical EV usage since the cars are charged when parked at a destination or topped off at home every night unlike an ICE car which is filled up when tank is empty.

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle Sport Diesel
LOL at your lack of reading comprehension and inability to at least do some rudimentary research.

Quick search, depending on study, is showing anywhere from 63 to 80% of homes having garages or carports. However, that wasn't even the point. The point is that EV cars are not filled up in the same way we do cars so it is a different mindset.

In addition, since the vast majority (as in like 95%) of people don't drive more than 35 miles per day, range really should not be an issue when EV cars have 200-300 mile range already. Sure if you are in that 5% that drives a bunch of miles on a daily basis or frequently does long road trips, an EV car might not make sense. I never said otherwise.

Yeah, it would be nice if you could charge up in 5 minutes but the reality is that isn't really necessary for typical EV usage since the cars are charged when parked at a destination or topped off at home every night unlike an ICE car which is filled up when tank is empty.
I think the issue isn’t how many homes have garages; rather how many people live in a domicile - of whatever style - with parking where you can decide to wire it for an EV to charge at night.

I haven’t rented since college but I can see landlords, who have installed chargers, now adding a monthly parking fee onto your rent where you wouldn’t otherwise pay for parking. I know it is standard to pay for parking in many places, like New York, but now you might have to do it in Iowa.

But, I could be wrong.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Your assessment of practicality is absolutely correct but man doesn’t live by practicality alone. I spent my formative years in NHRA pits., have always had hot rods, including a 1 of 500 (eng. serial #HP 360) Plymouth, a blown 454 powered Sanger boat and a blown Chevy powered CJ5. Life includes the things you have a passion for, not just practicality. I presently drive a GC SRT, a V10 Dodge PU , and my new Rubi 392 after wanting a Wrangler for years but no V8 no sale. Now the government is doing it’s best to eliminate what I am the most passionate about and gives me joy. It’s heartbreaking to me and other gear heads like me.

Sponsored

Uncommon Sense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray '22 392XR
Your assessment of practicality is absolutely correct but man doesn’t live by practicality alone. I spent my formative years in NHRA pits., have always had hot rods, including a 1 of 500 (eng. serial #HP 360) Plymouth, a blown 454 powered Sanger boat and a blown Chevy powered CJ5. Life includes the things you have a passion for, not just practicality. I presently drive a GC SRT, a V10 Dodge PU , and my new Rubi 392 after wanting a Wrangler for years but no V8 no sale. Now the government is doing it’s best to eliminate what I am the most passionate about and gives me joy. It’s heartbreaking to me and other gear heads like me.
I don't think government should be mandating getting rid of ICE. I just like cars of any kind. I bought a 392 as it offers everything I've wanted in a jeep. Stupid acceleration, performance sounds, but still a jeep... it will likely be the last of it's kind and I plan to keep mine for a long time. HOwever, I will be in line with cash in hand if they come out with an electric jeep that can match the 392 performance.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think government should be mandating getting rid of ICE. I just like cars of any kind. I bought a 392 as it offers everything I've wanted in a jeep. Stupid acceleration, performance sounds, but still a jeep... it will likely be the last of it's kind and I plan to keep mine for a long time. HOwever, I will be in line with cash in hand if they come out with an electric jeep that can match the 392 performance.
As an old guy I hope my present vehicles will last the rest of my life. I don’t care if they build an electric Wrangler that out performs the 392. Performance without the soul of a rumbling and roaring V8 to me is heartless. But that’s just me

Frostbyte

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392XR, 2019 WK2 LtdX, 2017 JK, 2006 XK
Nothing wrong with hobbies. I didn't make fun of your fleshlight collection.
Awwww....don't be like that. I was just joking around....didn't mean to hurt your lil feelers. Look...my kids loved to play with RC cars too......when they were 8. So it's all good. Maybe it's a Chicago thing???

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service

Man you must really hate poor people.

JLUandCJ-7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara w/mods
Vehicle Showcase
Just wait until restomodding classic cars includes replacing ICEs with EV drivetrains. Can't wait to hear the belly aches on that one.
Sponsored

Last edited: