Will the 392 Join in the end game?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
True but why would I spend $44k on a sedan when I can buy an electric GEM car (glorified golf cart) that does 60 miles a day, and has hvac for $11k? Or I can just ride my bicycle and be healthier? I’d rather own a diesel and walk to the grocery store and Uber when necessary. You can eliminate c02 and the EV by incentivizing work from home.

Using Tesla, since they are the so called EV leader, they warranty their batteries to 70% after 8 years. Who on earth is going to buy a 9 yo used car with 100k+ miles that has lost 30% of is performance and it will exponentially decrease further as times goes on since batteries don’t degrade linearly. There is a limited used market.

NPR said 2021 saw a 24% reduction in c02 because of work from home. EVs only reduce carbon output by 22% compared to their gas counterpart (see MIT). So Americans now have the largest debt load per person and per capita that we’ve ever had and now the “best” option we’ve come up with is the government encouraging vanity and more indebtedness?

I can’t help and be skeptical of this approach. ICE engines have been around for 100 years, what crisis is this EV revolution going to cause in 100 years?

I wish we stuck with horses so I didn’t have to listen to the complaining.
I understand how difficult it is to imagine that other people live different lives and have different jobs. People have to go to work to get work done. Not everyone is a corporate drone plugging away at numbers on a screen all day. You can’t do work at home.

Horses would just get blamed for the gas anyway. It’s all nonsensical.
Sponsored

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
I am guessing that will be a resounding yes. Jeep hosed up when they didn't produce a twin turbo V6 to keep up with all other OEMs that had one. Not to mention the competition, but what do they have under the hood? 4 cylinder turbo and a 6 cylinder turbo...

Imagine how the JL would have been received with a 375ish HP engine versus the 285ish that we received and the additional tuning that could have been done. It would have eliminated an entire forum on "Do I need to re-gear or not?"
Mine has 375hp and 470ft-lbs of torque. 😁

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I love Jeeps and I love HEMIs, but this thread is a long rant by fully grown men whining, bitching, and feeding on each other’s fears.

Jeep Wrangler owners discussing “change”
Jeep Wrangler JL Will the 392 Join in the end game? 1637759902785

Fatboy97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Rubicon JL
You think freeway traffic is bad now just wait hundreds on ev's on the side of highway because no plug in station because these thing can only go 300 miles. Oh and god forbid your to texas and have a snow/ice storm that takes out the electical grid oh and for the planet people what about all the excess coal that will be burnt to supply the extra demand where will that burnt coal go??? And where are we gonna put all these batteries when they die. Im not against change but come on lets think long term damage.
Your one of the few people that have offered up some reasonable thinking no one is willing to talk about. Funny, all these snowflakes do not want any new power stations to be built, especially nuclear, so where is this electricity going to come from? Heck we can’t even supply enough power needed now. Ev have there place and I’m very impressed with the current growth in this space. Tesla is very interesting. How about the solar panels, these things have been improving, becoming less expensive to manufacture but continue to cost more to install. Makes no sense. And don’t get me started on wind turbines. I’m from cape cod Ma. (not living there anymore) and they installed wind turbines off the coast of one of the most beautiful places to live or visit and have totally destroyed everything about it. Just imagine sitting on the beach looking out into the ocean and all you see are these wind turbines sticking up out of the water. Now that’s a great vacation picture. There are also wind turbines that have not worked since install because I was told they need maintenance. One of these in particular has not worked in over 5 years. This whole power grid is a mess.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I owned a Tesla Model 3 and loved the way it drove; fast, good range, and cheap to charge. That said when my commute shortened this summer, I dumped the Tesla and kept the Jeep. The Jeep is fun, the Tesla was a transportation tool. While I like EVs, I too see huge issues with the electrical grid if mass adoption is achieved. I think the charge station shortfall will improve, but charging times will lag for at least another 5 to 10 years.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Internal combustion engines are more than a century old and people still, to this day, don't know you have to change the oil.
One of my business professors at college never changed the oil in a Chevrolet that he purchased new. It finally threw a rod at 50K miles, and he wondered why. I still SMH when I recall that anecdote.

Related: Some years ago, I learned that a colleague's BMW didn't have an oil dipstick; he had to depend on a dashboard display of some sort. Not having ever owned that brand, and being an oil change DIYer for decades, all I could to is SMH at the needless complexity.

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
One of my business professors at college never changed the oil in a Chevrolet that he purchased new. It finally threw a rod at 50K miles, and he wondered why. I still SMH when I recall that anecdote.

Related: Some years ago, I learned that a colleague's BMW didn't have an oil dipstick; he had to depend on a dashboard display of some sort. Not having ever owned that brand, and being an oil change DIYer for decades, all I could to is SMH at the needless complexity.
No dipstick here either…. Apparently It’s a thing.
Jeep Wrangler JL Will the 392 Join in the end game? 10F040CB-C802-498B-A4C9-29A9DFDABB71

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
You have to get out of the ICE mindset.

An ev car is rarely filled up like a gas car. In most cases, you aren't running the car down to empty and then charging. You are basically charging it every single night when you park. Pretty much every morning, the car has a full charge when you leave for work. Pull into garage, and it is charged again that night.
LOL @ thinking the vast majority of Americans just pull into garages.

el_guapo

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Dodge Viper, JLU 392
One other thing. I don’t think I’ll ever own an EV. They’re just so vanilla to me. I’d lease one but that’s about it. They just don’t do anything for me.
Fastest car I ever drove was a Porsche Taycan Turbo S. Unbelievably fast, super high-end luxury feel, but all you remember is how violently fast the thing is. And it's not even close to the Plaid Tesla. Nothing vanilla about it. I must own one at some point.

Sponsored

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
I love Jeeps and I love HEMIs, but this thread is a long rant by fully grown men whining, bitching, and feeding on each other’s fears.

Jeep Wrangler owners discussing “change”
Jeep Wrangler JL Will the 392 Join in the end game? 10F040CB-C802-498B-A4C9-29A9DFDABB71
There are two sides to this. Those who see what's in front of them(most Jeepers) and those who are running off of theory(you).

Nobody will deny EV's once EV's get the same logistics as ICE vehicles. In the meantime, logic and experience will reign supreme.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I feel the same. The US in no way has the infrastructure to support a majority of cars being electric--particularly if you consider those who want to "get out of the city" in combination with the ranges and charge times of EV today.

It would seem that a first step would be to have all vehicles as a hybrid leading into (perhaps) 100% EV...
That's my big problem here. But as usual the Gubberment and big companies get the cart before the horse. I live in the historic district of my town. With that comes a historic eletrical grid also. I can't imagine how fast that grid would collaspe when everyone in the district plugs their cars in at night. I don't have one problem with EV's, but dayum, there are other things that need to be addressed before everyone is forced to buy one.

Last edited:

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Very sad time. Thanks to the government shove electric everything down our throats.
I hope a sun flare causes all their electric shit to fry and they have to walk a mile to poo. I’ve already prepared,so I’m not concerned.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
I
Maybe for a commuter car. Range and charge times are a very big concern for long road trips. Range for a pure EV is even a bigger deal when you are going off road. I'd like to see a pure EV complete the Rubicon on a single charge. It's not a lot of miles, but those EV mileage ranges are based on paved road driving, not rock crawling.

Of course, in the grand scheme of things, the rock crawling crowd is very small. But small groups of constituents mean nothing when the gov't is throwing out mandates.
I have to politely disagree. The government throws out mandates without regard to size of constituent groups, public opinion, who it hurts or how much it hurts them as long as it advances their agenda.

Uncommon Sense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray '22 392XR
Fastest car I ever drove was a Porsche Taycan Turbo S. Unbelievably fast, super high-end luxury feel, but all you remember is how violently fast the thing is. And it's not even close to the Plaid Tesla. Nothing vanilla about it. I must own one at some point.
They are exciting for the driver but not for a spectator. The sound of exhaust and revving engine are what make bystanders gawk. It is kind of juvenile but that is how people think.

I raced one eighth scale off road rc cars. It used to be dominated by nitro engines but electric kind if took over. However, at races the nitro is more popular for casual spectators... the smoke and noise of nitro engines make them seem faster to spectators but in reality the silent electric cars are. The lack of noise makes the electric kind of boring.
Sponsored