First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Stellantis has to hate big V8s and the American companies it got in the deal. I believe this will kill Dodge. Electric car buyers want new brands and weird styling. Electric Dodges in just 3 model years from now will be perceived as a joke.
Sponsored

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
I've got zero issues with EVs if the market supports them. I could even see having a fun, tossable EV hatchback as a daily driver -- something like the Honda e.

But markets are much better at making optimum decisions than central planners. This obsession with EVs means that development of fuel cells, synthetic fuels, and optimized ICE engines will stall out, and that's a shame. From everything I've read, hyrdogen would be a real dream come true if they could make it work. Think 1,000 miles of range on one tank.

TheRealTVGuy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.MyVillageRadio.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
From a performance standpoint, the all electric Challenger could be interesting. Hell, my wife is a huge Mopar fanatic and it even piqued her interest. It’s all going to come down to sound though.

For her, what good is performance if you don’t have that throaty, sexy V8 exhaust sound.

Sponsored

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21.JLU.6MT.GCM.35.4.88.ZEON12
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technical/Indstrial 3D Animator
Vehicle Showcase
I'm so glad I bought a 'simple' internal combustion (3.6L), manual transmission while I still could. Who knows the state of things 20 years from now, but I'm gambling we'll still be able to find gasoline... even if it's siphoning carcasses of discarded jalopies ala Mad Max.

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
You know, I really have a hard time understanding blind hatred for EV. It's a mode of propulsion. As far as everyday life, it's little different than the difference between diesel and gasoline. You have to find a different place to fill it up, and the upkeep requires some different habits (gotta add DEF, don't have to change glowplugs as often, etc.). But, you get in, sit down, and drive.

Obviously there are edge cases. Offroading, racing, etc. But, even we gotta admit that no one is going to design an entire brand around edge cases.

If I were offered an EV that had similar styling, similar performance, similar range (including time to recharge vs fill-up), at a similar price . . . heck yeah I'd consider a move to electric.

I guess my point is, you can certainly dislike certain aspects of EVs. For me, until they get the time-to-recharge down (and recharging stations widespread), it's a no-go.

But to blindly say, "I like muh pistons" is kinda weird.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
You know, I really have a hard time understanding blind hatred for EV. It's a mode of propulsion. As far as everyday life, it's little different than the difference between diesel and gasoline. You have to find a different place to fill it up, and the upkeep requires some different habits (gotta add DEF, don't have to change glowplugs as often, etc.). But, you get in, sit down, and drive.

Obviously there are edge cases. Offroading, racing, etc. But, even we gotta admit that no one is going to design an entire brand around edge cases.

If I were offered an EV that had similar styling, similar performance, similar range (including time to recharge vs fill-up), at a similar price . . . heck yeah I'd consider a move to electric.

I guess my point is, you can certainly dislike certain aspects of EVs. For me, until they get the time-to-recharge down (and recharging stations widespread), it's a no-go.

But to blindly say, "I like muh pistons" is kinda weird.
That point about range and charging is the biggest issue. The big battery improvements they have been telling us for a decade are just a year or two away haven’t materialized. Also, we will likely be buying those batteries from China.

Gasoline should always be a available. It’s one of the spectrum of chemicals that result from the oil refining process. We still need all those other chemicals for a variety of synthetics and plastics, as well as asphalt for the roads. As a matter of fact, there will be a glut of gasoline and we will be shipping the excess to “developing nations” like how China is defined, just to get rid of it. China doesn’t have to abide by any of the Paris Accord directives.

If it weren’t for Carbon Credits none of the electric cars, windmills or solar farms would exist. They would be massive money losers otherwise. It’s really a big convoluted bureaucratic mess. Let all of these companies compete on an open market with no subsidies, “credits” or other meddling and let’s see what happens.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, I have better things to do than worry about when Jeep might or might not discontinue the 392.

Just to refresh everyone’s memory: EVs have indeed advanced quite a bit in the last 10 years. Ten years ago we had Nissan LEAF with a range of “100” miles, and it took hours to charge. To make it worse, LEAF owners were getting stranded well short of 80 miles.

Today 300+ miles of range is not uncommon, and fast charging has become a basic expectation.

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Stellantis has to hate big V8s and the American companies it got in the deal. I believe this will kill Dodge. Electric car buyers want new brands and weird styling. Electric Dodges in just 3 model years from now will be perceived as a joke.
I have a hard time believing that Stellantis (or, more realistically, the people at the top of the corporation) hates ANYTHING that makes a profit. If there's an actual desire on their part to get rid of ICEs or any V8s, it'd be based in what they can or cant make money with.

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
That point about range and charging is the biggest issue. The big battery improvements they have been telling us for a decade are just a year or two away haven’t materialized. Also, we will likely be buying those batteries from China.

Gasoline should always be a available. It’s one of the spectrum of chemicals that result from the oil refining process. We still need all those other chemicals for a variety of synthetics and plastics, as well as asphalt for the roads. As a matter of fact, there will be a glut of gasoline and we will be shipping the excess to “developing nations” like how China is defined, just to get rid of it. China doesn’t have to abide by any of the Paris Accord directives.

If it weren’t for Carbon Credits none of the electric cars, windmills or solar farms would exist. They would be massive money losers otherwise. It’s really a big convoluted bureaucratic mess. Let all of these companies compete on an open market with no subsidies, “credits” or other meddling and let’s see what happens.
All very true.

But, I kind of liken this to the whole "get rid of leaded gasoline and clean up emissions" push that started in the 70s and continued through the early 90s. But, instead of "incentives and subsidies", the govt just did mandates. The result was that we went from 400ci V8s making 350+hp in 1967 to 400ci V8s making 180hp in 1977. Not until ~1997 did we get V8s making similar power (with the LS1). So, around 25 years.

I think EVs are going through similar growth period. It may take time, but EVs will eventually be there.

Dale's Jeep

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 4door Rubicon
Occupation
Retired U.S. Army 23 years
You think freeway traffic is bad now just wait hundreds on ev's on the side of highway because no plug in station because these thing can only go 300 miles. Oh and god forbid your to texas and have a snow/ice storm that takes out the electical grid oh and for the planet people what about all the excess coal that will be burnt to supply the extra demand where will that burnt coal go??? And where are we gonna put all these batteries when they die. Im not against change but come on lets think long term damage.

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
Just hope they don't do what Ford did to the Mustang (Mach E). That is one ugly spud.
Don't worry. They will. And people will buy millions of them, because they're stupid that way.

You know, I really have a hard time understanding blind hatred for EV... to blindly say, "I like muh pistons" is kinda weird.
It's not EV hatred per se. It's hatred of the fact that the whole movement is being mandated, and that mandate being based on the bullshit premise that electric cars will save the planet.
Sponsored