Sponsored

Will the 2018 Wrangler receive larger stock brakes?

jeepney123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Train Set
The current JK is somewhat notorious for its poor braking performance, eg. long braking distances.

Will FCA rectify this longstanding issue for the 2018 model ?
Sponsored

Last edited:

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
A few issues for that. First, it eill never brake well, the tyres are a huge factor and they definitely increase distance, even just Silent Armour vs Dueller made a big difference. So it will never 'impress'.
However they could definitely imorove things, like the BigBrakeKit the Euros get.

With the possible removal of the 16" from the Sport, it would allow more diameter for a universal brake rotor for the JL, which would help a little bit. But the biggest issue is the callipers, that they are onoy single piston instead of at least 2 and that the resevoir is rather small. Those last two would improve things more than just a slight rotor boost.

Hopefully there is improvement, but it's hard to see/confirm in mules.

If we expect efen a PR bump in towing, let's say from 3,500 to 4,000 then it's logical that the brakes would also get a slight boost, or to keep costs in line, they might actually be a useful upgrade option in a Tow Package rather than just a hitch and wires like is there now.

Njsoulis

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Prius
A few issues for that. First, it eill never brake well, the tyres are a huge factor and they definitely increase distance, even just Silent Armour vs Dueller made a big difference. So it will never 'impress'.
However they could definitely imorove things, like the BigBrakeKit the Euros get.

With the possible removal of the 16" from the Sport, it would allow more diameter for a universal brake rotor for the JL, which would help a little bit. But the biggest issue is the callipers, that they are onoy single piston instead of at least 2 and that the resevoir is rather small. Those last two would improve things more than just a slight rotor boost.

If we expect efen a PR bump in towing, let's say from 3,500 to 4,000 then it's logical that the brakes would also get a slight boost, or to keep costs in line, they might actually be a useful upgrade option in a Tow Package rather than just a hitch and wires like is there now.
That's actually a really good thought. Bigger brakes on the "Tow Package", I would pay for that.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
If they really make the JL lighter, the braking will improve. I like the idea of upgraded brakes for a "tow package".

Now if I could just get a diesel with a manual and a "jake brake"!

Just kidding. Let's not start the flame war again!

OP
OP

jeepney123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Train Set
The roto

The diameter of the JK rotors is approximately 30cm. It would be nice if Jeep could increase the size on the JL to between 32cm and 35cm in order to accommodate for larger calipers.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
They can improve the braking with simply new pads and rotors. I swapped all the rotors out on my JKU with a set of centric rotors and put in new Hawk performance pads and its a world of difference. Stainless lines also make a big difference for pedal feel too.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
From most of the reviews the biggest single point of stopping distance improvement is the callipers, and biggest for feel is adding the bigger master cylinder and steel lines had the biggest pedal improvement. However, it's all going to add up, like 9% + 7% + 5% + 3% as a random number for the callipers + rotors + pads + cylinder.
Most people go the Rotor and Pads route as it's cheap and easy to do, whereas the callipers and master cylinder booster are a true mechanical endeavour requiring knowledge of things like preping and stagging the calippers, and bleeding the system, etc.

What I would like to see at the least is the addition of the MOPAR Brig Brake Kit that they use in Europe, and which may result in the Euro Pentastar having a higher tow rating (4400lbs Euro vs 3500lbs N.Am.). FCA introduced them as a performance pakage part combo in late 2014/ early 2015.
Again most people stick with just the Rotors, but I'd like to see the JL(U) get all of it. The main issue, as I mention is that it does not fit the 16" steelies on the current base Sport.

http://media.fcanorthamerica.com/newsrelease.do?id=16470&mid

There are definitely better upgrade kits out there with 6-piston callipers and more exotic pad material, etc, but this is already in FCA's inventory, and already on export JKs, something something like this as the new JL(U) standard brakes seems like an easy refresh.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I'm really annoyed that the " Good Stuff" is standard on Exports ( the aforementioned Big Brake Kit, Diesel for 2), and are not available to those of us here where Jeep was Born: USA .
The Diesel, supposedly Emissions ; the performance and safety upgrades ? That "should " be standard, and maybe will be, in the JL.

warc1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr JL Rubicon, 2016 Corvette Z06
Have any of the more recent spy photos shed any light on this issue in the way of apparent rotor or caliper size? Braking is my number one issue with the current JK. In daily driving, my 2010 Rubicon has the same brake feel as pushing your foot into a pail of jam. More significantly, one of the few times I scared myself with this vehicle was in a braking situation on a Colorado jeep trail. I reached the end of the trail on probably a 20% grade with no turnaround. I could either back down for about half a mile or attempt to turn around by clawing up the side hill in a two point turn. I chose the latter which resulted in the vehicle on about a 40% grade after the first turn. I had no trouble climbing that in 1st gear low, but when I attempted to change direction, the brakes could barely hold me. I pretty much had to stand on the brake to fully stop. Not pleasant when consequence of not holding was to roll off of a 1,000' drop.

Bill P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited
Have any of the more recent spy photos shed any light on this issue in the way of apparent rotor or caliper size? Braking is my number one issue with the current JK. In daily driving, my 2010 Rubicon has the same brake feel as pushing your foot into a pail of jam. More significantly, one of the few times I scared myself with this vehicle was in a braking situation on a Colorado jeep trail. I reached the end of the trail on probably a 20% grade with no turnaround. I could either back down for about half a mile or attempt to turn around by clawing up the side hill in a two point turn. I chose the latter which resulted in the vehicle on about a 40% grade after the first turn. I had no trouble climbing that in 1st gear low, but when I attempted to change direction, the brakes could barely hold me. I pretty much had to stand on the brake to fully stop. Not pleasant when consequence of not holding was to roll off of a 1,000' drop.
Yes I've had some close calls myself. Hopefully even if the stock brakes are not improved it is offered on a big brake kit or tow package, as others have said.

Sponsored

JeepinOutfitters

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepinoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
1995 XJ, 2016 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Outfitting Jeeps for adventures.
Based on the recent CAD drawings that just came out, the JT at least will have larger rotors on the rear, but still single piston calipers.

MrDinkMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Durango

JeepinOutfitters

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepinoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
1995 XJ, 2016 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Outfitting Jeeps for adventures.
These are the same size as the Jeep J8 rear discs.
I didn't realize the J8 rotors were that big, for some reason I thought they were close to 13.5" (similar size to the TeraFlex kit).

That might explain the dual bolt pattern on the rotors though (5x5 for JL and 5x5.5 for J8).

Shumx2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram Rebel
I'm really annoyed that the " Good Stuff" is standard on Exports ( the aforementioned Big Brake Kit, Diesel for 2), and are not available to those of us here where Jeep was Born: USA .
The Diesel, supposedly Emissions ; the performance and safety upgrades ? That "should " be standard, and maybe will be, in the JL.
It makes no sense. Diesel I can understand since it's a demand issue but making the big brake kit export only?? Wtf.

I'm really hoping now the JT rotors apply to the JL also. Seems like offering it on both has cost saving benefits and of course really would help address one of the JK's biggest flaws.
Sponsored