Sponsored

Will the 2018 Wrangler receive larger stock brakes?

warc1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr JL Rubicon, 2016 Corvette Z06
Thought it would be better to resurrect this old thread rather than start a new one since the topic is the same. I've just now searched this forum and found recent posts that state the JL Rubicon has improved brakes over the other JL models, but I can't find details. I have just ordered a 2DR JL Rubicon and I am hoping there will be a significant braking improvement over my 2010 2DR Rubi. Can anyone elaborate on the brake changes? As I said in my 6 month old post above, poor braking is the singular complaint I have about my JK.
Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I'm curious as well as the standard equipment lists Rubicon as having large HD brakes.

2018-01-08_16-27-08.jpg

JeepinOutfitters

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepinoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
1995 XJ, 2016 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Outfitting Jeeps for adventures.
Thought it would be better to resurrect this old thread rather than start a new one since the topic is the same. I've just now searched this forum and found recent posts that state the JL Rubicon has improved brakes over the other JL models, but I can't find details. I have just ordered a 2DR JL Rubicon and I am hoping there will be a significant braking improvement over my 2010 2DR Rubi. Can anyone elaborate on the brake changes? As I said in my 6 month old post above, poor braking is the singular complaint I have about my JK.
Compared to the JK, the JL basically come stock with a "big brake" upgrade. Larger rotors front/rear vs the JK, and the front calipers are now twin-piston. Rubicons and Saharas have larger rotors/calipers than the Sport does, but even the Sport's brakes are still substantially bigger than a JK's.

warc1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr JL Rubicon, 2016 Corvette Z06
Thanks everyone. Comparing the linked info above to specs for my JK Rubi, it appears that the front and rear rotors on the JL Rubi are each 1" larger in diameter. Calipers also appear to be larger, but I can't find comparable specs. The move to twin pistons on the front calipers is obviously good news. All in all, there's a good chance that braking will no longer be an issue for me.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I just looked up parts on rockauto.com and it appears that the JL Wrangler still uses 302mm front rotors (11.9 inches) just like the JK.

What that means is that the 15" wheels that fit the JK should, in theory, fit the JL. However, I can't find anyone who has done it yet.

Obviously, there is a "heavy duty" brake upgrade for Sahara and Rubicon models that bumps you up to 320mm front rotors, so smaller wheels are a no go.
Sponsored