Sponsored

Will the 2 Door Rubican get the Diesel or Hemi ?

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
The take rate on the 2-door is already too low to make it profitable. Now it’s debatable that the 2-door is less popular because of the lack of options. IMO they need to make the 2-door more like the LJ to have it survive. A bit longer wheelbase and more cargo volume would make it easier to stomach for people. That is one of the coolest parts of the Bronco though, it’s about the size of an LJ and you can get a base 2-door with the Sasquatch (lockers 35’s etc) AND the upgraded V6 engine for like $38k. That’s a steal.
i agree on the low volume 2 door sale. but its still alive and i dont think that jeep will ever kill the 2 door model due to the history and long production runs.

the lj are nice and i have looked into getting one. however, it was only a 1 year run (i think) and imo i think it was killed due to a low interest in the lj model. when the 4 door came out, it pretty much eliminated the lj wheel base. same theory with the mid size trucks. there were tons of regular cabs trucks, along with the extended cab and crew cabs. now only the extended cabs (in somewhat low productions) and crew cabs being the top sellers.

as for the broncos, i've been watching them and i think they are cool. as for the options, ford seems to up their game. the other factor to consider is that the bronco is bigger than the jl so there could be a drawback in runnng on some trails where wranglers in general can run them easier.
Sponsored

WILDDUX

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon Diesel
You're right, I was researching it and the 2.8 i4 Duramax in the Colorado weighs 520 lbs , 20 lbs more than the 3.0 6 cyl ecodiesel in the Jeep.

"The 2.8L Duramax is based on the VM Motori A428; at the time of its development, GM was a major stakeholder in Italian manufacturer VM Motori. Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) would later buy GM's entire stake in VM Motori, however GM retained the right to manufacturer the 2.8L diesel for applications in the U.S. The 2.8L Duramax is manufactured at GM's assembly plant in Rayong, Thailand."

Ironically, both diesels are made by the same Italian company.

I can't help but think that we would be better off having Cummins develop a small diesel for our jeeps.
I have the 2.8 Duramax in my Colorado ZR2 Bison, it’s a great little engine for that truck...that being said, it has no where near the power of my Eco Diesel Rubicon. I realize it’s a 4 cylinder but the HP and Torque difference is crazy.

Slumpbuster

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4xe Rubicon
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
The LJ’s still sell for prices like when they were new. That says that people like the perfect size that LJ’s are. Build it Jeep, please. I am a little biased, I’ve owned 3 LJ’s, it’s the right proportions for me.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
There have been long wheelbase jeeps since the 50s. CJ3B LWB, CJ6, CJ8, TJU (unofficially LJ), JKU and JLU

Sponsored

Slumpbuster

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4xe Rubicon
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
4 doors are in a different category I think. Scramblers we’re cool just a touch long in the back. Proportionally the LJ -or TJ Unlimited if you prefer- was the perfect size and combination.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I would like a 2 door on an Unlimited chassis. It would have similar proportions to the LJ.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
The 3.6 V6 is only about 75 lbs lighter than the diesel.

They need to give some love to the 2 Door or Jeep could lose a good chunk of their 2 Door customers to the 2 Door Bronco.

Those Ford Ecoboost in the Broncos are highly tunable engines, you can get 500 h.p. out of the larger one pretty easily.

Remember when FCA wanted to merge with G.M.?

That small 4 cylinder diecel cummins thats in the Colorado would be perfect in the 2 door.
That's all well and good, but it's not gonna happen, man. They don't sell enough 2-doors to make it worthwhile. This is an enthusiast forum where you're gonna hear the vocal minority of 2-door owners; it's far from representative of actual ownership.

bruno747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Recon 2dr 6spd
I'd say the answer is no. And someone touched on the real reason above.

Manufacturing lack of demand to discontinue a line. By putting the desirable engines in the 4 doors they continue to push people to the 4 door that otherwise would have bought a 2 door.

Then as FCA and the company they were before can claim something they really don't want to offer doesn't sell well and bam excuse to drop it.

They tried to do this with the ecodiesel when it released in the grand cherokee and a few times before that even. Take an option people demanded for years, offer it only in the most expensive trim then say no one bought it so they are dropping it. This backfired on them with the ecodiesel. Unfortunately they got away with it many times before.

There were rumors before the JL launched Jeep was debating dropping the two door. From what I see and given the pathetic excuses why they are making these decisions, it's likely the JL will be the last series with a 2 door.

Let's be honest, their excuse for not doing the two door diesel was the def tank would make the fuel tank top small. Def isn't flammable. I can think of a half dozen places to put it that don't affect the fuel tank in 5 minutes.

As for the hemi being hard to handle. I mean they sold the demon with nearly 900 horses same with the hell cats across the board. You think is not easy to roll or spin a hell cat grand cherokee with too liberal throttle application? Give me a break, fca puts over powered vehicles out every year. The two door wrangler should be no different. FCA just wants to drop it so they can redo that portion of the line to make more 4 doors.

Sponsored

Bruce Willys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Willys, 2021 Wrangler Unlimited High Altitude
The take rate on the 2-door is already too low to make it profitable. Now it’s debatable that the 2-door is less popular because of the lack of options. IMO they need to make the 2-door more like the LJ to have it survive. A bit longer wheelbase and more cargo volume would make it easier to stomach for people. That is one of the coolest parts of the Bronco though, it’s about the size of an LJ and you can get a base 2-door with the Sasquatch (lockers 35’s etc) AND the upgraded V6 engine for like $38k. That’s a steal.
tenor.gif

OP
OP
Francis405

Francis405

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue 2 door Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.6
Thanks Notorious,

Seems my spell check is changing the "o" to an "a"

I hope it doesnt catch on with future Bronco owners to call our Rubicons , " Rubicans" LMAO