Will Tazer Chip help with MPG?

rymanoo

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
New JLU Rubicon owner here! I am looking to get the Tazer Chip and wanted to see if it will help with my MPG. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
New JLU Rubicon owner here! I am looking to get the Tazer Chip and wanted to see if it will help with my MPG. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance
No. It is not a tuner, but rather a programmer that works with features. It won't map the engine or mess with timing or any of that stuff. Only features, like nav, tire pressure monitor, headlights, speedo calibration, disable the ESS, etc.

OP
OP

rymanoo

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
No. It is not a tuner, but rather a programmer that works with features. It won't map the engine or mess with timing or any of that stuff. Only features, like nav, tire pressure monitor, headlights, speedo calibration, disable the ESS, etc.
is there anything I could buy to help with the mpg?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I doubt it. They massaged every tenth of an mpg they could out of this thing, such as with ESS, the Pentastar revision, the 2.0 engine, front axle disconnect, etc. I'm not sure even an engine tuner could do much better. The big issues are 4wd and the aerodynamics of a barn door.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
No. The best way to maximize fuel economy in a Wrangler is to simply not bury the pedal. Tuners nor CAIs will not make any measurable economy changes. While the JL actually gets decent mileage on the highway, so long as you aren't driving over 75mph, no Wrangler has ever had decent numbers in the city. Not even the 2.0L nor the diesel will probably do much better in the city compared to the V6.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
No. The best way to maximize fuel economy in a Wrangler is to simply not bury the pedal. Tuners nor CAIs will not make any measurable economy changes. While the JL actually gets decent mileage on the highway, so long as you aren't driving over 75mph, no Wrangler has ever had decent numbers in the city. Not even the 2.0L nor the diesel will probably do much better in the city compared to the V6.
The 2.0 does do noticeably better than the V6. The 2.0 is rated 22 city mpg which is quite a bit more. I’m getting 20 mpg city in my 2.0 with a lift and 35s

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The 2.0L in the real world is doing about the same as the 3.6L which is par for the course. And, when you load a turbo engine down it'll start drinking fuel like it's sponsored by OPEC.

The #1 thing you can do to maximize fuel economy on a Wrangler is leave it stock. Don't mod it. These get great fuel economy in stock form. It's not until the big tires go on that the mileage plummets.

gspfunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep WK1 SRT8, Chevy Trailblazer SS
Vehicle Showcase
To the OP, I also agree about MPG being about as good as it’ll get. Even if you could get 1-2 mpg back, it wouldn’t offset the cost of the tuner/programmer.

That being said, having a programmer for feature changes would be worth it (for me, anyway).

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Remember, too, the 2.0 uses premium fuel, which costs a substantial bit more around my area. The upside is longer range, since it has the same size gas tank. The mileage champ will be the diesel, but it will also come at a cost, in fuel, DEF fluid, and most of all, expensive maintenance. BUT, it will go one heck of a distance on a tank of gas, if it gets anywhere near the 30mpg that has been hinted.

Sponsored

gspfunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep WK1 SRT8, Chevy Trailblazer SS
Vehicle Showcase
Remember, too, the 2.0 uses premium fuel, which costs a substantial bit more around my area. The upside is longer range, since it has the same size gas tank. The mileage champ will be the diesel, but it will also come at a cost, in fuel, DEF fluid, and most of all, expensive maintenance. BUT, it will go one heck of a distance on a tank of gas, if it gets anywhere near the 30mpg that has been hinted.
The cost on either engine upgrade (turbo 4 or turbo diesel) negates the mpg gain. If I chose to upgrade, it would be for the low-end torque. Preferably the diesel, but D@MN!!

Threads like this confuse me. If your worried about MPG: this is the wrong vehicle for you.
The fact that a Wrangler can get +/- 20 MPG is amazing, but I don't care.
I agree.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm still amazed I can get 20mpg on the highway with the Mopar lift and 35's. My JK with 33's can't do it even with a tail wind.

Dadawada

First Name
Barrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, 2020 Honda Goldwing Bagger
Occupation
Network Technology Executive
Vehicle Showcase
I've used tuners extensively in the past, on my gas vehicles, my diesel truck, and my motorcycles. They do work with caveats.

Cars are tuned for emissions, not for performance from the factory. A tuner "can" provide you with additional performance, but you have to give up something in return, usually gas mileage or emissions. The Pentastar 3.6 is a great example of a motor that with minor tuning can eek out 300HP. For best results, using a tuner that has a dyno that can give you a custom map will give you the best results. Adding minor mods that help the motor breath better such as intake or exhaust systems with a tune are the best way.

In the past I have used products by Superchip. That is a reason I purchased their programmer. They say they are working on the tuner for the JL. It will but a software update you can purchase for their Flashcal.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Hey @rymanoo Ryan:

I'm getting the vibe--and I may be wrong--and if I'm right know that we all do this from time to time--that you're going through "luxury item justification."

It's when we seek to rationalize the purchase of a non-essential (The Tazer) by citing the ways its cost will be subsidized by the benefit it reaps no so much in our enjoyment of same, but actual dollars, like the savings of gasoline.

As stated it won't. But what might is setting your instrument cluster to show the MPG stats: an out of the factory capability: that is If you haven't done so already. Having this constant feedback might influence your driving to save more gas that in turn leaves you with more disposable income to get (and internally justify) the toy you seek.

Just a thought....

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I can get between 19-20 hwy with a 2.5” lift and 315 KO2’s, I did lose a few MPG’s but was expecting that
Sponsored