Sponsored

Will Sahara Axles hold up with true 35 S for light Offroading and no Rock Crawling ?

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
One way to know if you have the D44 with the LSD would be to take it into the dirt, grass, whatever and punch it. If you leave two strips behind you, it has the LSD.
Seemed to work in snow time, still 35 degrees here but no snow. Like your idea but was hoping there be some ID on diff as in older days?

Thanks, Wolfdog, go Jeep!!!
Sponsored

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Seemed to work in snow time, still 35 degrees here but no snow. Like your idea but was hoping there be some ID on diff as in older days?

Thanks, Wolfdog, go Jeep!!!
I just saw somebody that had one rear fender from a Sahara installed on their factory order Rubicon. I would bet they screwed up at the factory and put on the All Season tires vs the All Terrain. If you do find that to be the case I would ask dealer to put the A/T tires on if you want them as they should have put them on at the factory.

mcmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara JLU Granite Metallic
Occupation
SuBourbon Socialite
Interesting, I have a JLU Sahara with the "Anti-Spin" Limited slip option. With that option the original tires on the Sahara are supposed to be changed from "All Season" Bridgestone's (H/T's) to "All Terrain" Bridgestone's (A/T's) ? Both not great but A/T's better than H/T's for mild off road. My Sahara came with H/T's??? Limited slip on the sticker, did I get it?

Other than driving it off a jack stand or trying to bother the local gas station for a lift is there any markings on the Diff'/Axle? Older models had a tag saying Limited Slip this axle supposed to be a Dana 44 M220. Only markings are numbers, no obvious markings like "tags"??

Any Ideas?? JLUSahara (2).jpg

Go Jeep!!!
Look underneath and if your cover face is blue you have the Dana 44

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I've ran 35s and 37s on my 07 JKU with the Dana 30 upfront and Dana 44 in the rear. I don't wheel hard like I did with my XJ but I've certainly taking it on some good trails and never had issues. I know how to work the skinny pedal and always remember YOU HAVE TO DRIVE IT HOME. So with that being said, I think you'll be fine with these new axles. 37s look fantastic but at the end of the day they put so much wear and tear on other components like others have mentioned, they just aren't worth it if you can't/don't upgrade your axles. I run 5.38 gears in my JKU with an Auto and have found it to perform adequately enough for me. I said my next one would be a Rubicon but at the end of the day, I'm going to save some money for other mods and get a Sport S actually.

jhnnymac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Toyota 4Runner
I am keeping the stock tires on until end of summer and switching then to the same stock tire size in all-terrain. Keeping the steel rims on as well so I wont care when they get banged up on trails. Have a JKU Sport (without the S) with no regrets about not getting upper level trims.

Sponsored

Gaxmode

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Interesting, I have a JLU Sahara with the "Anti-Spin" Limited slip option. With that option the original tires on the Sahara are supposed to be changed from "All Season" Bridgestone's (H/T's) to "All Terrain" Bridgestone's (A/T's) ? Both not great but A/T's better than H/T's for mild off road. My Sahara came with H/T's??? Limited slip on the sticker, did I get it?

Other than driving it off a jack stand or trying to bother the local gas station for a lift is there any markings on the Diff'/Axle? Older models had a tag saying Limited Slip this axle supposed to be a Dana 44 M220. Only markings are numbers, no obvious markings like "tags"??

Any Ideas?? JLUSahara (2).jpg

Go Jeep!!!
Same here. I have the lsd d44 axel with these bitch ass looking all season Bridgestone duelers. Can’t wait to change these wheels.

01179918-077A-4610-A2EA-9BFE6F83AE50.jpeg

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
GAXMODE,

Ya ait they beautiful??? What happened to the AT's with LS (Anti-Spin) At's are not the best but 100% better than these beauts!!

You sure you have LS????

Go Jeep!!!

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
My Sport S with anti-spin came with the Goodyear Adventure AT's 245/75/17.

I'm hoping the 315/70/17's will be fine on the D30 up front. They weigh 65lbs so shouldn't be bad.

Gaxmode

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
GAXMODE,

Ya ait they beautiful??? What happened to the AT's with LS (Anti-Spin) At's are not the best but 100% better than these beauts!!

You sure you have LS????

Go Jeep!!!
Yeah... unless the sticker for my car is inaccurate. Shows the LSD with Dana 44 rear axel. Haven’t visually inspected the axels.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yeah... unless the sticker for my car is inaccurate. Shows the LSD with Dana 44 rear axel. Haven’t visually inspected the axels.
If you do a build on line (I bought off the lot) and you just order the LSD option "it" changes your tires to "All Terrain" Tires (Goodyears now I think?) if you order Selec-Trac it adds LSD but leaves the tires "All Season"???

I suppose that's because they suppose that if you have Selec-Trac you'll probably not do a lot of off road stuff so won't need a more aggressive tire?? That's all I can figure out so far. I don't do a lot of off road anymore but enough that I don't like these H/T's!!! I have a steep "test" hill made up of rocks, sand and grass, My 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk in Low with the electric locker locked and more aggressive tires will climb it easy, my new JLU will not!! H/T tires won't grip! Sooo disappointing!

I still hope to get the rear end of the ground and see if I turn one tire forward they both turn to see if LSD there? There are only #'s on my diff. I've found no interpretation of these #'s yet. Usually the diffs are marked LSD some place, older Jeps had tags? The build sheet you can get from Jeep on your vehicle will say if you have the LSD and the M220 rear end. Mine does say M220 and Anti-Spin but it also says "All Season" 255/70R 18 Tires...yuk!

Wolfdog Go Jeep!!!

Sponsored

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It helps, makes me feel better, thanks!!!

Looks like same vehicle 'cept color.. lol I have Granite Crystal !! Like your red! My sticker has no "Exterior Features" on it?? Does not list wheels and tires anywhere, it has though, same wheels and tires as yours. I think it's the Selec-Trac that deletes the "All Terrains"! That is really too bad cuz it means I'll probably have to for sure break away with more $$$!!

Other than tires all seems great, like it a lot so far. Well with the exception of being out done on a short, steep and gnarly uphill by my TH! Yikes! The only thing the TH lacks is ground clearance, and of course the electric locker only locks in low range. No help in other 4wd selections like LSD!

Thanks Gaxmode, have fun! Go Jeep!!!

Gaxmode

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
It helps, makes me feel better, thanks!!!

Looks like same vehicle 'cept color.. lol I have Granite Crystal !! Like your red! My sticker has no "Exterior Features" on it?? Does not list wheels and tires anywhere, it has though, same wheels and tires as yours. I think it's the Selec-Trac that deletes the "All Terrains"! That is really too bad cuz it means I'll probably have to for sure break away with more $$$!!

Other than tires all seems great, like it a lot so far. Well with the exception of being out done on a short, steep and gnarly uphill by my TH! Yikes! The only thing the TH lacks is ground clearance, and of course the electric locker only locks in low range. No help in other 4wd selections like LSD!

Thanks Gaxmode, have fun! Go Jeep!!!
Awesome man. I wanted granite but was impatient and took what they had on the lot lol. Yeah dude I’m about to drop 5k on the 2” lift and new wheels... but I’ve been adopting the buy what you want and cry once technique.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yup, did that when I bought, love it but still justifying cost. Our lease ran out on a 27K 2015 perfectly good Cherokee TH!! My done payment for the JLU was 8K more than to buy back our Cherokee!!! Course we wouldn't have a JLU Sahara!!

I guess the selection of "Selec-Trac gives us those H/T Bridgestones, stuck but should have LSD? Hoping so!

Thanks, Wolfdog Go Jeep!!!
Sponsored