Sponsored

Will Sahara Axles hold up with true 35 S for light Offroading and no Rock Crawling ?

sfadchi

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Bright White JLUR
Occupation
Corporate Recruiter
Just take it easy on the skinny pedal and you should be fine. I personally bent my stock 44 in my JKUR on 315/70/17 Duratracs, but I wheel like a wreckless idiot! :rock:
Sponsored

6dors

First Name
Lauri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport/ Ordered order 5/8 JLUR
Are you talking about a tire size of 305/65-18? If that is the tire size those are 33.61" tires and should not have an issue clearing on a stock Sahara.

Do you know the exact tire you are getting?
I spoke to my local tire shop and the quoted be $325 mounted for the 305 KO. They said they didn't have 315 for R18. I had 285 on my 2011 and want a more aggressive look.

6dors

First Name
Lauri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just take it easy on the skinny pedal and you should be fine. I personally bent my stock 44 in my JKUR on 315/70/17 Duratracs, but I wheel like a wreckless idiot! :rock:
Still trying to figure out if I should stick with my Sahara Sting-Gray order or reorder for a JLUR. I put on 20K highway a year, and don't rock climb. Once I add a lift and tires, I am at the same cost as the Rubicon. Is there that much of a difference in the highway ride? There are no Rubicon's to test drive here.

6dors

First Name
Lauri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The ales will be fine. All the trim levels got beefier axles. I had the exact set up on a 2010 Sahara with the terrible 3.8L engine and I did wheel it. I re-geared it because of the engine and towing in the mountains. You'll be fine!
2013-03-22_14-53-06_335.jpg
What tires are on your 2010? Looks nice!

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I spoke to my local tire shop and the quoted be $325 mounted for the 305 KO. They said they didn't have 315 for R18. I had 285 on my 2011 and want a more aggressive look.
OK if you are talking about the BFG AT T/A KO2 305/65 R17 Tire those are 32.6" and you will not have an issue and you will not need a lift to run them at all. In fact a lift may make them look small to be honest.

Still trying to figure out if I should stick with my Sahara Sting-Gray order or reorder for a JLUR. I put on 20K highway a year, and don't rock climb. Once I add a lift and tires, I am at the same cost as the Rubicon. Is there that much of a difference in the highway ride? There are no Rubicon's to test drive here.
It sounds like you are going with new lift and tires more for the look than for any off road capability that will require it. In that case I would just go for a Rubicon for the look and not mess with the stock setup.

Do realize, if you want that aggressive tire look you will feel a difference driving it on the pavement. One guy on this forum wanted the Rubicon look but was not happy with the ride on pavement. He bought tires and wheels off of a sport and mounted those on the Rubicon and was much happier with the ride on pavement.

Sponsored

6dors

First Name
Lauri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK if you are talking about the BFG AT T/A KO2 305/65 R17 Tire those are 32.6" and you will not have an issue and you will not need a lift to run them at all. In fact a lift may make them look small to be honest.

It sounds like you are going with new lift and tires more for the look than for any off road capability that will require it. In that case I would just go for a Rubicon for the look and not mess with the stock setup.

Do realize, if you want that aggressive tire look you will feel a difference driving it on the pavement. One guy on this forum wanted the Rubicon look but was not happy with the ride on pavement. He bought tires and wheels off of a sport and mounted those on the Rubicon and was much happier with the ride on pavement.
Thank you for all this information. I am going for the look more than anything, and do some light off roading, but nothing serious. I am being told by the dealership that the Rubicon is overkill. I did add the anti slip differential upgrade. I am leaning toward canceling, but will see what dealership says. The Sahara has been in D status for 2 weeks. If I have the same tires on both a Sahara and a Rubicon, is there much difference in the ride?

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for all this information. I am going for the look more than anything, and do some light off roading, but nothing serious. I am being told by the dealership that the Rubicon is overkill. I did add the anti slip differential upgrade. I am leaning toward canceling, but will see what dealership says. The Sahara has been in D status for 2 weeks. If I have the same tires on both a Sahara and a Rubicon, is there much difference in the ride?
The Rubicon will sit a little higher and it also has stiffer springs in the suspension. You may find the Rubicon to ride a little rougher than the Sahara.

You want an honest opinion? Save yourself some money. First get your Sahara as you said you would be driving 20K per year highway. Leave it stock and just drive it. Take it off road. See how you like it stock before modifying before you even drive it. I know you want that "look" but realize you WILL change how the Jeep feels and drives by modifying suspension and tires.

There is no Bad Ass Off Road look without sacrifices. You cannot have that look and make it drive like butter on the road. Some people that never drove a Jeep are complaining that they actually have to steer it while driving feeling like it wanders too much. They have done a lot to make the Jeeps on road manners great but it is still a solid frame riding on solid axles, not independent suspension. It is a different ride from anything else out there.

6dors

First Name
Lauri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Rubicon will sit a little higher and it also has stiffer springs in the suspension. You may find the Rubicon to ride a little rougher than the Sahara.

You want an honest opinion? Save yourself some money. First get your Sahara as you said you would be driving 20K per year highway. Leave it stock and just drive it. Take it off road. See how you like it stock before modifying before you even drive it. I know you want that "look" but realize you WILL change how the Jeep feels and drives by modifying suspension and tires.

There is no Bad Ass Off Road look without sacrifices. You cannot have that look and make it drive like butter on the road. Some people that never drove a Jeep are complaining that they actually have to steer it while driving feeling like it wanders too much. They have done a lot to make the Jeeps on road manners great but it is still a solid frame riding on solid axles, not independent suspension. It is a different ride from anything else out there.
Thank you, my 2011 Unlimited Sport with 285s was never modified and I didn't mind the ride. The Sahara JL ride is so much nicer than the 2011!

6dors

First Name
Lauri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I spoke to the dealer and they agreed to change the tires when my Sahara comes in. They will either put on Rubicon tires and wheels or order 305 KO2 for the Sahara rim. I am not going to put a lift on it...or at least right away.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I spoke to the dealer and they agreed to change the tires when my Sahara comes in. They will either put on Rubicon tires and wheels or order 305 KO2 for the Sahara rim. I am not going to put a lift on it...or at least right away.
I would also drive it on the stock tires a bit to see how you think it rides. Then take a Rubicon for a test drive and see if the difference is acceptable to you. I know the Rubicon has stiffer suspension but at least you can get a close idea before you make the change to make sure you can live with it.

Sponsored

EROCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S

There is no Bad Ass Off Road look without sacrifices.
This is the gospel. Best advice ever! ^

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
Interesting, I have a JLU Sahara with the "Anti-Spin" Limited slip option. With that option the original tires on the Sahara are supposed to be changed from "All Season" Bridgestone's (H/T's) to "All Terrain" Bridgestone's (A/T's) ? Both not great but A/T's better than H/T's for mild off road. My Sahara came with H/T's??? Limited slip on the sticker, did I get it?

Other than driving it off a jack stand or trying to bother the local gas station for a lift is there any markings on the Diff'/Axle? Older models had a tag saying Limited Slip this axle supposed to be a Dana 44 M220. Only markings are numbers, no obvious markings like "tags"??

Any Ideas?? JLUSahara (2).jpg

Go Jeep!!!

Merlin28

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 JK Sahara builds , JL Rubicon, 95 XJ build
Mine have on my JK but can feel they are prob working hard. 44’s In Rubi are better.

EROCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
49298C31-A1D4-4DBC-8B00-B317016B0819.jpeg

These came stock on my sport no anti-spin, like the sidewall to be a cheap stocker so I’ll run them bare. Sand line on tires is why they looks odd colored btw.

Last edited:

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting, I have a JLU Sahara with the "Anti-Spin" Limited slip option. With that option the original tires on the Sahara are supposed to be changed from "All Season" Bridgestone's (H/T's) to "All Terrain" Bridgestone's (A/T's) ? Both not great but A/T's better than H/T's for mild off road. My Sahara came with H/T's??? Limited slip on the sticker, did I get it?

Other than driving it off a jack stand or trying to bother the local gas station for a lift is there any markings on the Diff'/Axle? Older models had a tag saying Limited Slip this axle supposed to be a Dana 44 M220. Only markings are numbers, no obvious markings like "tags"??

Any Ideas?? JLUSahara (2).jpg

Go Jeep!!!
One way to know if you have the D44 with the LSD would be to take it into the dirt, grass, whatever and punch it. If you leave two strips behind you, it has the LSD.
Sponsored