Sponsored

Will Sahara Axles hold up with true 35 S for light Offroading and no Rock Crawling ?

JeepBighorn

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram CTD , JKU
I would like to Buy a JLU Sahara and Install a 2 inch lift with 285/75/18 Goodyear Duratrax Tires. Will the Axles hold up with Light Offroad use if No Rock crawling is Done ?
Sponsored

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I would like to Buy a JLU Sahara and Install a 2 inch lift with 285/75/18 Goodyear Duratrax Tires. Will the Axles hold up with Light Offroad use if No Rock crawling is Done ?
There should not be an issue and I would suggest that you get the Limited Slip Differential package at $595.00 as that also upgrades the rear Dana 35 to the Dana 44 axle more for the peace of mind but also the benefits.

OP
OP

JeepBighorn

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram CTD , JKU
I plan to put True Tracs front and rear . Not a fan of Rubicon 4-1 transfercase for mild off road use and don't enjoy locked in snow and ice in North Indiana and Michigan winters for road driving .

Mojito Mojo

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Apache Junction, AZ and North Mankato, MN
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito Rubicon JLU, 2004 Corvette convertible, 2015 HD Road Glide, 2014 Indian Chief Vintage
Occupation
Retired
Following!

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
I plan to put True Tracs front and rear . Not a fan of Rubicon 4-1 transfercase for mild off road use and don't enjoy locked in snow and ice in North Indiana and Michigan winters for road driving .
If you're planning on adding your own lockers front and rear, I'd just buy a rubicon. They're selectable, so you could easily have them unlocked in snow and ice. You'd also get all the other Rubicon benefits, and that 4:10 gearing will help with 35's. You'd also get a front Dana 44 instead of 30.

If you're planning on going locked with 35's, I'd just start with a Rubicon.

Sponsored

OP
OP

JeepBighorn

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram CTD , JKU
The Rubicon is the way to go for some Just not for me. 4-1 transfercase and Full Locking axles are deal breakers for me. I will not Rockcrawl . I will tow a bass boat and small open trailer some , I hope the Front axle holds up to mild trail use with real 35 inch At tires.

My#8andlast

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
The Rubicon is the way to go for some Just not for me. 4-1 transfercase and Full Locking axles are deal breakers for me. I will not Rockcrawl . I will tow a bass boat and small open trailer some , I hope the Front axle holds up to mild trail use with real 35 inch At tires.
The ales will be fine. All the trim levels got beefier axles. I had the exact set up on a 2010 Sahara with the terrible 3.8L engine and I did wheel it. I re-geared it because of the engine and towing in the mountains. You'll be fine!
2013-03-22_14-53-06_335.jpg

OP
OP

JeepBighorn

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram CTD , JKU
Thank you all for the Info, Everything was informative, Glad to hear the axles should hold up ok. I use my stuff be never Abuse it so I believe it will be a sweet setup and last me Many years.

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
There should not be an issue and I would suggest that you get the Limited Slip Differential package at $595.00 as that also upgrades the rear Dana 35 to the Dana 44 axle more for the peace of mind but also the benefits.
I got this feature, so in theory I should be able to stack 35s with everything stock on my Sahara, right? Might go with 35s before actually installing the lift. I want to lift it but not anytime soon.

Sponsored

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
I got this feature, so in theory I should be able to stack 35s with everything stock on my Sahara, right? Might go with 35s before actually installing the lift. I want to lift it but not anytime soon.
Well, 35's are probably going to rub without a lift on Sahara suspension and fender flares when and if you flex. They might fit fine if you don't flex, I guess.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes you can as others already have. As @That One Guy stated you may have some rub at full flex. Either a lift or budget boost will take care of that. A Sport with the Dana 35 front and back can do it as well. If doing serious off road / rock crawling the beefier rear axle will be better to have.

Do understand that whenever you make these changes you are adding additional wear and tear throughout the drive train and maintenance may need to be performed sooner. I am not talking oil changes. The Sahara does come with HD brakes so that will help.

You may experience a rougher ride depending on tire and you will loose some performance and gas mileage going to a 35. If you notice the performance difference and it bothers you, you can always change out the gears to the 4:10 or maybe the 5:13's I think they have just come out with. The new transmission however may make this performance decrease less noticeable.

6dors

First Name
Lauri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport/ Ordered order 5/8 JLUR
I ordered the Sahara with the limited slip differential and am wondering how the 305 tires would clear without a lift. The dealership told me the lift is backordered by over 1000 orders today.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ordered the Sahara with the limited slip differential and am wondering how the 305 tires would clear without a lift. The dealership told me the lift is backordered by over 1000 orders today.
Are you talking about a tire size of 305/65-18? If that is the tire size those are 33.61" tires and should not have an issue clearing on a stock Sahara.

Do you know the exact tire you are getting?

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
Yes they will be fine
Sponsored