Sponsored

Will knowing manual gear lead to remote starting?

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Wait, what? When did Jeep add the current gear to the display for manual trans? Having had that on my 370Zs and Corvette displays, it would be nice to have it on the Jeep as well.
It appears the current gear display is part of the new voluntary recall that updates the PCM to prevent the manual transmission clutch from over heating.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Here's an interesting read:

Do Automatic Car Starters Work With Stick Shifts?

That's a lot of monitoring to get a remote start to work while mitigating risk. Making sure doors haven't opened since shut down, that windows are up, all mayhem. I don't think today's regulators would allow the owner to be the responsible party for a less advanced system. We already have battery problems enough in the JL, now we're talking about monitoring things while shut down (or checking them when the button is pushed without the engine running, potentially drawing down the battery more after it has sat for an extended period).
The purpose of all of that complicated monitoring is to reliably know that the transmission is in neutral in the absence of any direct gear position monitoring. If you have direct gear position monitoring, the complicated monitoring is not needed.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
Got my software update today for the recall, and, surprise! A big N looking at me when I started it up at the dealer! Then it goes to 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, respectively, for each gear up on my MANUAL transmission!

I suppose this will help prevent downshifts from 6 to 3 or 5 to 2, which with higher speed are probably tough on the clutch. Maybe remind me to shift into 5 from 4 on the highway. Other than those, I'm not sure what the primary benefit is.

But gear indication is here, now!
Jeep Wrangler JL Will knowing manual gear lead to remote starting? IMG_9018.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Will knowing manual gear lead to remote starting? IMG_9020.JPG
Sponsored