Sponsored

Will knowing manual gear lead to remote starting?

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
It occurred to me after seeing this picture from @danzy55 of his JL being in neutral that this should open the door to remote starting JLs with manual transmissions. The main issue with being able to remote start with a manual transmission is knowing that the transmission is in neutral before you try to start it. Does this latest PCM update that shows the selected gear mean that the neutral detection issue is resolved?

Jeep Wrangler JL Will knowing manual gear lead to remote starting? 1614524498135
Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
This is fascinating. I had no idea these transmissions had a sensor like this.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
It occurred to me after seeing this picture from @danzy55 of his JL being in neutral that this should open the door to remote starting JLs with manual transmissions. The main issue with being able to remote start with a manual transmission is knowing that the transmission is in neutral before you try to start it. Does this latest PCM update that shows the selected gear mean that the neutral detection issue is resolved?

Jeep Wrangler JL Will knowing manual gear lead to remote starting? 1614524498135
Some folks do not set the parking brake. Some folks do not set the park brake with sufficient tension in the cable. Sometimes the parking brake mechanism gets out of adjustment.

So NO.

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Some folks do not set the parking brake. Some folks do not set the park brake with sufficient tension in the cable. Sometimes the parking brake mechanism gets out of adjustment.

So NO.
The emergency brake is a different, although related issue. If I can't reliably park in neutral using the emergency brake, then obviously I'm not going to remote start. An emergency brake that's not functioning properly has other implications on a manual transmission vehicle and should be resolved regardless of whether or not remote start is being implemented.

#diesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
It would be nice to have the “standard” option to remote start my 6-speed, but I park in a garage and wouldn’t add that to a build sheet.

Sponsored

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
There's a lot of vehicles out with electric parking brakes. Combined with a neutral sensor, I would think remote start would be possible.

Does anyone else see the irony of a vehicle equipped with remote start also required to have ESS?

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
The emergency brake is a different, although related issue. If I can't reliably park in neutral using the emergency brake, then obviously I'm not going to remote start. An emergency brake that's not functioning properly has other implications on a manual transmission vehicle and should be resolved regardless of whether or not remote start is being implemented.
When I was at a legal meeting in Kansas City, as per our legal staff, we were told to use the term "Parking Brake" and never use the term "Emergency Brake". Legal said "we don't have emergencies". Gotta love the lawyers.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I’ve had multiple standards with gear sensors. Remote start has never been a factory option. I’ve never understood why other than “it’s a stick, you can’t do that.” Is there more rotational inertia in a standard vs a slushbox when in neutral? Is someone worried about liability if it starts in gear by mistake due to a technical failure and causes damage to the car or something nearby if it jumps?

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Are we sure @danzy55 has a stick shift? The automatic gear indicator can be set up to display a single gear or PRND.
Gregj

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
When I was at a legal meeting in Kansas City, as per our legal staff, we were told to use the term "Parking Brake" and never use the term "Emergency Brake". Legal said "we don't have emergencies". Gotta love the lawyers.
This. It’s not for emergencies, it’s for parking. That’s it’s purpose. In a manual transmission vehicle it should be used every time the vehicle is parked.

As to the original question of the thread, some manufacturers’ manual transmission vehicles do have remote start available as a factory option. But not Jeep.

Sponsored

Spaffy

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL 2Dr Willys, '16 Ram 2500, '69 Dodge Polara
This. It’s not for emergencies, it’s for parking. That’s it’s purpose. In a manual transmission vehicle it should be used every time the vehicle is parked.

As to the original question of the thread, some manufacturers’ manual transmission vehicles do have remote start available as a factory option. But not Jeep.
It's a parking brake until you have an emergency. It's then an emergency brake!

Coming down a long, steep grade while off roading in an '83 F250 I managed to overheat my brakes and the pedal went to the floor. That "manually operated cable secondary braking system who name is apparently in contention" sure came in handy....

Only lawyers never have emergencies.

Also, that gear display from Danzy55 seems to be a part of the new manual transmission clutch recall software update.

Mr Lee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
There's a lot of vehicles out with electric parking brakes. Combined with a neutral sensor, I would think remote start would be possible.

Does anyone else see the irony of a vehicle equipped with remote start also required to have ESS?
I have always said this. One remote start uses up a years worth of ess credits.

DWS44

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Box: 2022 JLUR 392 + '17 C7 GS & '21 C8 Vettes
Occupation
CAD/IT Manager (Civil/Airport Design)
Wait, what? When did Jeep add the current gear to the display for manual trans? Having had that on my 370Zs and Corvette displays, it would be nice to have it on the Jeep as well.

Really? What manual models out there offer remote start? I thought it was pretty much an across-the-board limitation that manuals can't support remote start. (not arguing...honestly curious!)

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
i don’t know if companies still do, but about 15y ago you could get remote starts installed on manual vehicles. I never had one installed but I almost did. It was too expensive for me and didn’t want to spend that to have remote start.

Have you looked into aftermarket remote start options?

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Here's an interesting read:

Do Automatic Car Starters Work With Stick Shifts?

That's a lot of monitoring to get a remote start to work while mitigating risk. Making sure doors haven't opened since shut down, that windows are up, all mayhem. I don't think today's regulators would allow the owner to be the responsible party for a less advanced system. We already have battery problems enough in the JL, now we're talking about monitoring things while shut down (or checking them when the button is pushed without the engine running, potentially drawing down the battery more after it has sat for an extended period).
Sponsored