Sponsored

Will JL Wrangler (Rubicon) ride quality be better or worse on highway?

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
Ironically the Rubicon tire is actually way cheaper than similar sized tires. I buy the Rubicon tires for around $150 per tire.

Just checking Tire Rack now - they're $165. There have been times when they drop to about $130. Conversely the same sized BFG AT is $229 per tire.
Sponsored

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
The 10A tires - the new MTs 265/70R17 size are $241

robplumm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR in Dozer
Ironically the Rubicon tire is actually way cheaper than similar sized tires. I buy the Rubicon tires for around $150 per tire.

Just checking Tire Rack now - they're $165. There have been times when they drop to about $130. Conversely the same sized BFG AT is $229 per tire.
I just replaced my originals ('12 JKUR) this past July at about 45k miles. Got them at Costco for roughly $200 each (give or take a few bucks and that's installed). The price had snuck back up. Seen them down as low as $150.

I assume they're trying to dump inventory...

Merica!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully JLU
Occupation
Future breaker of JL Wrangler parts!
The original Rubicon had 245/75-16 load range E tires from the factory. These were LT rated tires. In the U.S., LT tires are rated B, C, D, E, F, etc. Passenger tires are rated P. The TJ's small wheelbase, combined with heavy duty Rubicon suspension, and 1-ton truck tires made it ride like ***t.

So, when the JK debuted Chrysler pulled a trick that they used several years prior and developed their own tire size. The 275/70-17 was a lighter duty C rated tire used on the Ram 1500 Off Road. Jeep had the 255/75-17 tire size made specifically for the Rubicon so that it would ride better on the highway.

In both of these cases, having unique tire sizing caused prices to be very high on replacement tires. So, with the JL they are clearly going with commonly available sizes to make finding replacements easier and less expensive. For this reason, I would be surprised if they contract with a tire maker to create an entirely new load range of an existing tire. I expect Jeep to use what's already on the market for production vehicles this time around.

Sources are saying the JLU will be 9" longer and 4" wider. This alone will make it ride better on the highway. Not to mention the suspension tweaks. It's going to be a very comfortable 4x4. I can't wait.
Is this true? I thought it was only going to be a few inches longer.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Is this true? I thought it was only going to be a few inches longer.
Not sure. IIRC the front hood was to be a few inches longer. Also, there seemed to be speculation that the rear was a bit longer too. I could see it ending up as much as 9".

Sponsored

Brandon Grant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ
I was watching TFL last night and they said a source at the assembly plant said it is 9" longer, 4" wider and 2" taller. If that is true, I am going to need to make more room in my garage.

geospyder

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Mo" 2019 Mojito 2 Door Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I was watching TFL last night and they said a source at the assembly plant said it is 9" longer, 4" wider and 2" taller. If that is true, I am going to need to make more room in my garage.
Won't know unless I ask...What is TFL?

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
The Fast Lane. Automotive Industry news site.

Merica!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully JLU
Occupation
Future breaker of JL Wrangler parts!
If that's the case I may have to get a JL instead of a JLU. IMHO the JKU is long enough as it is.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Yeah, but even Roman couldn't confirm that it was a reliable source, just someone claiming they worked at the plant and providing those numbers. Had it been a source that they used before they would've been more confident in the delivery of that information.

It seems the closer we get to launch the more 'insiders' work at the plant, that you could staff multiple plants many times over.

Even if one were to treat it as credible it's still unknown if that's wheelbase/frame length or just bigger new bumper to wider tyres of the Rubicon spare.... which being 1.25 inches wider than the current Rubicon tyres accounts for some of that length & width. As does the wider axle, meaning the body might not be much wider than current, it might be 4" wider fender to fender for the larger tyres/stance.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Perspective. I think my jku 08 rides pretty good I have a 4 inch OME hd lift bilsteins and 315 70 cooper ATP and I really like the ride not super spongy but better than my old viper and 2001 vette. I like it better than my wife's Murano or my daughters Camry.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
A little off topic but if the jeep is 4 inches loner it might be more accommodating when it comes to sleeping in one aka overlanding

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
A little off topic but if the jeep is 4 inches loner it might be more accommodating when it comes to sleeping in one aka overlanding

Its all going to be in the hood and front of the cab as they did it for the 8 speed transmission. It would be great if they did offer more storage room, but I don't think it will be much different then the JKU.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
That would be nice, and if the added height means that the seats can finally truly lay flat that would be good too and better for carrying stuff and not putting stress on the ends of things like glass table tops or thing made out of pressboard.

A truly flat lay-flat carpeted surface would make for a better platform for Thermarest style flat pad so you didn't keep sliding back. It's not as noticeable if it's an inflatable mattress because you can prop up the edges with towels less noticeably, but that cuts into ceiling space.

If they allow the front passenger seat to move forward another 4-6 inches to the point of the footwell and grab-bar/OhShizz-bar even without changing cabin length, that would also help as a place for the feet of sleeping bags and the other person could angle into that space.

It's ok, but as a larger guy definitely need to bend my knees & hips to fit event with front seat leaning fully forward , thankfully my wide sleeping bag allows for that scrunching.
Sponsored