Sponsored

Will JL Wrangler (Rubicon) ride quality be better or worse on highway?

Cal_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future JLU
The new Super Duty F-Series pickups ride like a dream, and that's with solid axles. You're never going to eliminate road vibration with SA's, but it sure as hell can be made to be tolerable for all but the most grouchy drivers and passengers. No reason why the JL Wrangler can't do the same, that's really up to Jeep engineers and something we'll have to wait and see about.
Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Every iteration of the Wrangler has been significantly better on the highway than the outgoing model. I have no doubt this new generation will be the same level of improvement.

Phenomenon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata
Every iteration of the Wrangler has been significantly better on the highway than the outgoing model. I have no doubt this new generation will be the same level of improvement.
I hope you're right. The whole reason I'm waiting for a 2018 JLU is because I want a dual-duty vehicle that will be great off-road and at least tolerable on-road.

wooderson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Speaking of ride quality is it safe to assume the JT will have a better ride quality compared to the JLU while the JLU will be more off road capable then the JT?

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Speaking of ride quality is it safe to assume the JT will have a better ride quality compared to the JLU while the JLU will be more off road capable then the JT?
No way. If the JT is a true truck, it'll have overload springs in the rear & ride fairly rough when unladen.

Sponsored

wooderson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Ok thanks. I've only test driven a JKU and I own a F-150. My F-150 seems to drive much smoother. I was thinking the JT would be more like my F-150.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Ok thanks. I've only test driven a JKU and I own a F-150. My F-150 seems to drive much smoother. I was thinking the JT would be more like my F-150.
Let's hope! I want the JT now, and while a controlled ride is fine, I don't want to have to wear a kidney belt when I drive it. ;o)

CorpCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Quad Cab
The JT with a longer wheelbase than the JL and JLU should ride smoother than the JL/JLU, but it probably still won't be as smooth as the F-150 since the JT's wheelbase will be shorter than the F-150's.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Doesn't the F150 have independent front suspension? The JT will have solid axle.

Sponsored

JJ75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
Doesn't the F150 have independent front suspension? The JT will have solid axle.
Yep the F150 hasn't had a solid front axle since the late 70's. So if we're comparing... the JT should ride rougher than the F-150 because of solid axles and shorter wheelbase.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Yep the F150 hasn't had a solid front axle since the late 70's. So if we're comparing... the JT should ride rougher than the F-150 because of solid axles and shorter wheelbase.
While true the F250 is sold axel and rides awesome. Drove my father's 2018 F250 on a hunting trip for 8 hour ride and its not much different then driving a luxury car. I'm hoping Jeep can push the Wrangler and Scrambler in this direction (doesn't have to be as good but just comfortable would be nice).

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't compare the bigger solid axle trucks to luxury cars, but they ride very well for what they are. I had a 2015 Ram 2500(Lariat/Mega Cab) It was coil sprung front/rear, and the ride was about as good as you could expect from a solid axle truck. We recently lifted my buddies 2017 Ford F250 with similar options, and it rode very nice before/after the lift. What killed the ride was the 37" tires he ended up putting on it with 26" wheels. :facepalm:

I have a 2004 Mercedes S500 with factory air suspension that I daily drive, and no truck I've driven comes remotely close to how that thing rides on the street. With that said, I'd pick the trucks to daily drive any day of the week. They offer a good enough ride, better technology than my old MB, and I can get almost anywhere when Houston floods. Now if I could only afford both a JL, and a new Super Duty.....

Alex D

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler Willy's Wheeler, tank, half doors
Most of the Rubicon test mules were running KO2s. I'm hoping there will be an option to get KO2s or KM2s. The KO2s should be much better on paved roads for ride quality. And you can always ask the dealer to swap the rubber for you.
They will! If you look at BF's tire list the "old" M/T is only available in the Jeep 255 size for the JK. All other sizes have been discontinued and moved on to the KO2. BF has only continued to make them for Rubicons and Willys and that's gonna stop.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The original Rubicon had 245/75-16 load range E tires from the factory. These were LT rated tires. In the U.S., LT tires are rated B, C, D, E, F, etc. Passenger tires are rated P. The TJ's small wheelbase, combined with heavy duty Rubicon suspension, and 1-ton truck tires made it ride like ***t.

So, when the JK debuted Chrysler pulled a trick that they used several years prior and developed their own tire size. The 275/70-17 was a lighter duty C rated tire used on the Ram 1500 Off Road. Jeep had the 255/75-17 tire size made specifically for the Rubicon so that it would ride better on the highway.

In both of these cases, having unique tire sizing caused prices to be very high on replacement tires. So, with the JL they are clearly going with commonly available sizes to make finding replacements easier and less expensive. For this reason, I would be surprised if they contract with a tire maker to create an entirely new load range of an existing tire. I expect Jeep to use what's already on the market for production vehicles this time around.

Sources are saying the JLU will be 9" longer and 4" wider. This alone will make it ride better on the highway. Not to mention the suspension tweaks. It's going to be a very comfortable 4x4. I can't wait.
Sponsored