Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Jeep Wrangler JL Will it fit?  Yeah baby..maybe Photo on 5-10-21 at 10.54 PM

Who knew my jeep could be cooler this way. Anything larger and it would require cutting stuff. Spal # 30102053
Sponsored

OP
OP

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
So the stock jet engine fan is not loud enough for you?:LOL:
Not that ... actually the fan is pretty darn quiet considering how much it pulls . I never actually heard it so loud like some describe it here. So, when it runs, it's good, when not running, useless. Here were my options- Livermois.. about 1000 bucks and warrantee issues .... Or, the Spal fans...about several hundred , and have a second set of fans just in case something goes wrong and not have warrantee issues . I could maybe find some other way to work PWM fan but this is much simpler to me. And it might even run the ac cooler ( not that its not good ) it will help push the air through which is a bit more efficient way of running a cooling system. Its not perfect because the condenser is not fully covered , but to do so ,it would require dumping the grill support brace..not a good option.. Just as long there is some air running through the rad it will be enough so temps don't spike like they typically do.

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
What fan controller are you using? And where did you put the temp probe?

OP
OP

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
What fan controller are you using? And where did you put the temp probe?
that's a preliminary mock up .. the hardest part is the measurement without actually having the fans at hand. I was going for the 10 inch ones originally ..thank the laud I didn't . The measurements on the internet are a slight bit off ..not by much , but even 2/16 of an inch matters. Next hardest thing will be making support brackets. Past that, I never had luck with those adjustable fan controllers .. ..they are unreliable , unpredictable and when they do work they don't last long . I use thermo fan switches @ around 196 on and 186 off, which i intend to run on an inline coolant hose with one of those aftermarket pipes that will most likely have to be tapped for a correct thread for the thermo switch to go in. Or, I could also, (possibly better) run it thru heater core line that they also use for exhaust recirculation cooling. (i've got to look into this again I don't remember exactly how they are connected now) The thermo switch is n easy find there are a million places u can get them even a junkyard. Aliexpress sells them the cheapest .. As far as relays ... I will use the Bosch high amperage units that they use on European cars on their fans .. along with a fuse box possibly pirated from some older model car .

Sponsored

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Sounds similar to what I did on my fox. I used a BMW switch wired to a Volvo Fan Relay with a Volvo fan mounted inside the factory shroud.

OP
OP

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Sounds similar to what I did on my fox. I used a BMW switch wired to a Volvo Fan Relay with a Volvo fan mounted inside the factory shroud.
would like to see that ..by fox u mean Mustang?

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Yessir. I will snap some pics when I get home in 3 weeks. Currently 600 miles away

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/volvo_electric_fan.shtml

It’s this setup, rumor has it the Volvo fan is the Taurus fan but with a shroud screwed on. It makes it super easy to mount to anything.

I went with the BMW dual temp switch as it had the range for high and low that I wanted. Got it and all the wiring from pelican parts. Also I want to say it’s M14 ORing compared to the Volvo/VW M22.

OP
OP

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Yessir. I will snap some pics when I get home in 3 weeks. Currently 600 miles away
Thanks, I always was 5oh fan even if it wasn't v8... the body on those were aesthetically pleasing and proportionate.

Sponsored

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I agree. I need to do paint on mine, but the drivetrain is sound. Trickflow heads/cam, gt40 intake, new T5, 3.55 gears. A convertible foxbody was always the wife’s dream car so this will stay with us for ever probably.

OP
OP

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/volvo_electric_fan.shtml

It’s this setup, rumor has it the Volvo fan is the Taurus fan but with a shroud screwed on. It makes it super easy to mount to anything.

I went with the BMW dual temp switch as it had the range for high and low that I wanted. Got it and all the wiring from pelican parts. Also I want to say it’s M14 ORing compared to the Volvo/VW M22.
These are puller fans only ..I wouldn't be able to do much with these but good info... I wonder though where is the resistor for the slow speed is located ..maybe integrated into the fan?
I got BMW switch too although I got another switch also that offers less stasis in the temp switching numbers. I just can't remember where I bought it or where I put it ...It was from some Britton site. The old fans had a separate resistor for fan speeds I liked those hope they're still out there ...less things to go wrong with the fan

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Educate me please. Do you guys push your Jeep’s off road that hard that they overheat?

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Educate me please. Do you guys push your Jeep’s off road that hard that they overheat?
Even on road. I was driving through a park the other day at 20mph going up a very steep grade and still hit 225. It’s partly due to cramming a bunch of coolers on the front of the Jeep from the factory, partly due to the nature of emissions. Gone are the days that 200-210. These higher temps aren’t anything that will hurt the motor as they are designed for it.

I believe the OP is just trying to make these changes more minimal and be more gradual on the onset, rather than fluctuating all over the place.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
that's a preliminary mock up .. the hardest part is the measurement without actually having the fans at hand. I was going for the 10 inch ones originally ..thank the laud I didn't . The measurements on the internet are a slight bit off ..not by much , but even 2/16 of an inch matters. Next hardest thing will be making support brackets. Past that, I never had luck with those adjustable fan controllers .. ..they are unreliable , unpredictable and when they do work they don't last long . I use thermo fan switches @ around 196 on and 186 off, which i intend to run on an inline coolant hose with one of those aftermarket pipes that will most likely have to be tapped for a correct thread for the thermo switch to go in. Or, I could also, (possibly better) run it thru heater core line that they also use for exhaust recirculation cooling. (i've got to look into this again I don't remember exactly how they are connected now) The thermo switch is n easy find there are a million places u can get them even a junkyard. Aliexpress sells them the cheapest .. As far as relays ... I will use the Bosch high amperage units that they use on European cars on their fans .. along with a fuse box possibly pirated from some older model car .
2/16 of an inch...LOL You mean 1/8" That made me laugh, good work though and hope it all works out. Keep us posted.
Sponsored