Sponsored

Will I regret switching to soft top early?

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
You may have trouble in 60 ° F weather getting the top to stretch enough to fasten at the windshield. Usually for the first installation you need really warm weather and direct sun to soften the material enough to get it to fit. The same with installing the windows. If you have a heated space you may be able to do it. With my JK when I put the soft top on the first time it was in March. I had it on the Jeep, but it wouldn't stretch into place so I put electric heaters inside the Jeep, while in a garage and pulled it out into the sun and was able to work it into place.

I left my soft top on this winter, but store my Jeep in a garage. To clean off the salt spray on the vinyl windows is rinse with soapy water and then use a plastic window cleaner. (i.e. Meguiar's makes a cleaner and polish.)
Sponsored

Last edited:

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
You may have trouble in 60 ° F weather getting the top to stretch enough to fasten at the windshield. Usually for the first installation you need really warm weather and direct sun to soften the material enough to get it to fit. The same with installing the windows. If you have a heated space you may be able to do it. With my JK I put the first time I put on the soft top was in March and had it on the Jeep, but it wouldn't stretch into place so I put electric heaters inside the Jeep, while in a garage and pulled it out into the sun and was able to work it into place.

I left my soft top on this winter, but store my Jeep in a garage. To clean off the salt spray on the vinyl windows is rinse with soapy water and then use a plastic window cleaner. (i.e. Meguiar's makes a cleaner and polish.)
Wow Ad, you brought back memories. I did the exact same thing with my JK. I was excited to try the soft top so I attempted it on a still chilly day in April. It was easily still an inch short. I wound up having to set a Torpedo heater on a couple of ladders and letting it blow about 15 minutes. ( note: if anyone tries this don’t set to close. They burn hot).
How I finally got it was to latch by the windshield first then get 2 friends, one guy pulling down on each flap that the back window zips to and a third guy pulling down on the bar above the back window.
I was afraid to open up until the temps hit the seventies. Everything was fine after that.

baconator_17

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport 4 Door
In Mich, had it on all winter long and put the top back a little yesterday, Sunny and 54. LET's GO!

20200301_132552.jpg

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
If they salt the roads that would reduce the lifespan of your top. If we are talking about temps in the 40s, 50s, maybe even 30s and perhaps and occasional snowstorm I wouldn't worry to much about it. Just use your soft top and take care of it. In terms of cold weather, I wouldn't worry much. The heating system of the wrangler is pretty good and the soft top does keep the heat in well.

Sponsored

baconator_17

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport 4 Door
I try and keep the salt off and best as I can and its in a warm garage so we should be good. Don't own a hard time so we will see what happens. Love it!!

Milk Money

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S (previously 2008 JKU Sahara, 1998 TJ Sport)
Occupation
Engineer at GM
Vehicle Showcase
As was mentioned, the single biggest reason I put the hard top on in the winter is road salt and seeing through the rear window. It does provide a quieter ride, quicker warming up inside and the added security of being able to lock the vehicle more securely, but the #1 reason is road salt and vision.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I switched this weekend lol just do it,man. Don't turn your jeep into an idol (I know you're not, but some peeps get crazy)

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Like 20 years ago in my buddies YJ I went out to clear snow and I hit the back window with the scrapper thinking the snow would just fall off like it always has. Nope, shattered into 100 pieces. Guessing condensation froze on it and made it brittle. Was a bit shocking.
Ouch!

Sponsored

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Are you just assuming? Because they have made 2dr versions for previous jk's and they are making it again for the JL.
I visited their website before posting. They have the JK 2/4 door and only JL 4 door listed.

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
I visited their website before posting. They have the JK 2/4 door and only JL 4 door listed.
and 2dr is in the works. They released the 4dr first, because most people have 4 doors since most people have friends and family

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
most people have 4 doors since most people have friends and family
Is that supposed to be a disparagement? Sorry if my frustration of the aftermarket situation for two doors rubs you wrong. Or, is that you think everyone in the world who buys a jeep should have the same version as you because you are smarter then everyone else, so you know best?
Sponsored