Sponsored

Will I notice a major change in vehicle tracking with steering stabilizer?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLU Diesel
Wife doesn't like the slight wander on a 2021 JLU Rubicon. I have no experience with a steering stabilizer. Will I notice a major change in vehicle tracking? Recommended manufacture's?
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
You have a factory steering stabilizer (damper). If you install an aftermarket steering damper, the steering wheel will just be stiffer. I'd recommend you put the money toward a front trackbar from Steersmarts, Teraflex, or Synergy. The factory trackbar is a light, thin tube with soft bushings. A trackbar with stiffer bushings and tube will keep the front axle from moving laterally better. Any lateral movement of the axle, relative to the frame, steers the wheels and causes "wandering". You'll notice the difference immediately on winding roads during steering reversals and should note a difference on the highway as well.

Last edited:

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
I'd recommend first swapping the lower front control arms to the ones from the Mopar lift kit. That'll raise your caster from the ~4 degree range to ~6 degrees and should make a noticeable difference in straight line tracking. It's only $60 for the arms and an hour or less for labor. Then, if she's still not happy, you can start swapping out more expensive parts.

Later,
Johnny

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Wife doesn't like the slight wander on a 2021 JLU Rubicon. I have no experience with a steering stabilizer. Will I notice a major change in vehicle tracking? Recommended manufacture's?
What is the tire pressure at?

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I had the exact same issues. Even with the cast iron steering box it didn't steer correctly. I called it flighty(ish) on the highway. I made two changes that transformed my Jeep. [I was just marveling at the steering while out this morning]

• Replace your lower front control arms with the Mopar fixed-length ones ($60 for the pair), that are .25" longer than stock, to correct your caster. If you plan to lift the jeep, you'll need slightly longer adjustable control arms ($200-$300) to compensate further for the lift.
  • I was having a delay in my steering wheel recentering after adding a lift. I added a TeraFlex Falcon pass-through steering stablizer and the recentering problem was INSTANTLY fixed.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/big-driving-improvement-after-lca-swap.54439/

But...I'd only do the LCAs to begin. I was given this sage advice here on this forum and it worked like a charm. It was almost a abracadabra presto moment when I first tested it post-fix. You'll feel the difference in the first quarter mile. It's not a subtle change; it's transformative.

Last edited:

Wolfslash16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 JKU Firecracker Recon.
Higher end steering stabilizers, especially the "through shaft" designs can unwanted reduce steering wheel feedback and help reduce flightiness from cross winds. They do not however fix issues with worn out parts, bad alignments, or improper suspension geometry.

blkvirus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Wrangler JLUR
Anyone have a coupon code for allmoparparts? That $45 shipping is pretty steep :bandit:

I just picked up my 21 JLUR last night and it was extremely windy on the way home. I was surprised at how much I had to be correcting my steering. Going to give the Mopar LCA's a shot!

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Anyone have a coupon code for allmoparparts? That $45 shipping is pretty steep :bandit:
Send Benny a DM at allmoparparts. He offered free shipping on the arms back in September. I haven't heard what's going on now.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

I just picked up my 21 JLUR last night and it was extremely windy on the way home. I was surprised at how much I had to be correcting my steering. Going to give the Mopar LCA's a shot!
Might even check your local Jeep dealer, sometimes they can order for you and get the shipping waived or significantly reduced.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLU Diesel
Might even check your local Jeep dealer, sometimes they can order for you and get the shipping waived or significantly reduced.
Shipping is crazy. If you find a code please pass it on! Thanks.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLU Diesel
I had the exact same issues. Even with the cast iron steering box it didn't steer correctly. I called it flighty(ish) on the highway. I made two changes that transformed my Jeep. [I was just marveling at the steering while out this morning]

• Replace your lower front control arms with the Mopar fixed-length ones ($60 for the pair), that are .25" longer than stock, to correct your caster. If you plan to lift the jeep, you'll need slightly longer adjustable control arms ($200-$300) to compensate further for the lift.
  • I was having a delay in my steering wheel recentering after adding a lift. I added a TeraFlex Falcon pass-through steering stablizer and the recentering problem was INSTANTLY fixed.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/big-driving-improvement-after-lca-swap.54439/

But...I'd only do the LCAs to begin. I was given this sage advice here on this forum and it worked like a charm. It was almost a abracadabra presto moment when I first tested it post-fix. You'll feel the difference in the first quarter mile. It's not a subtle change; it's transformative.
Ordered the LCA's on EBay. Thanks!

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Not enough caster angle and too much tire pressure are the top culprits of wandering. The fixed length front lower control arms will help on a stock height jeep, but if you lift it, you'll need to replace them with a stronger and adjustable set. 32-34psi is the range that most have found the sweet spot to stop wander and to get the full width of the tire tread to contact the ground. A chalk test is preferred, because vehicle weight varies.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s