Sponsored

Will I get a better deal ordering a new Sport S or doing a nationwide search?

ChrisNC

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
First, I have to say these forums are awesome! I have decided to lease a Sport S but, none of the dealers close to me (NC)have exactly what I am looking for at the moment. Looking for recommendations on whether I would be better off ordering a new build from my local dealer or doing a nationwide search and travel. . Clearly, my intent is to end up with the best possible invoice or below deal on which to base a lease. I know these forums have some seasoned veterans on here, what are your thoughts?
Sponsored

NotMyHubbysJeep

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4-door Bright White 2021
Ditto! I ordered a sport S on 04/01/2021 custom build. The features I wanted included the one-touch top, cold weather package. The only way I could find a one touch top is in Rubicons on lots, which the price point was around 60K. My budget was 50K or less. I looked all over the mountain west (im in utah).

We chose to custom order, because with the SportS and the items I wanted, the price point is around 43K BIG DIFFERENCE.

Still awaiting delivery. :) Im one for instant gratification, so this waiting game is killing me.

uela_loca

First Name
Trish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Don't know what the order process is looking like for the S but I ordered a Sport on 3/17 - 2-door, basic package, no frills. Only add-ons were hard top, AC and side steps. Dealer said it would be 6-8 weeks for delivery but it's still not in production. Feeling pretty frustrated.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
The best deal will always be on a unit that is in stock at the dealer you want to buy or lease from. They have a greater incentive to sell it.

If you find one elsewhere, and want to buy it locally, your dealer will have to trade one of theirs for the one you want. That costs money in transport and sometimes hold back money.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
The best deal will always be on a unit that is in stock at the dealer you want to buy or lease from. They have a greater incentive to sell it.

If you find one elsewhere, and want to buy it locally, your dealer will have to trade one of theirs for the one you want. That costs money in transport and sometimes hold back money.
Here in NC we have Tri-City and we are also driving distance to Va and Maryland. You can get 5%-8% below invoice on a factory order.

if you are flexible on options you could maybe find a leftover 2020 on a lot at a lower price.

but overall the OP can get an aggressive price locally by doing a factory order.

Sponsored

King Nothing

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Ditto! I ordered a sport S on 04/01/2021 custom build. The features I wanted included the one-touch top, cold weather package. The only way I could find a one touch top is in Rubicons on lots, which the price point was around 60K. My budget was 50K or less. I looked all over the mountain west (im in utah).

We chose to custom order, because with the SportS and the items I wanted, the price point is around 43K BIG DIFFERENCE.

Still awaiting delivery. :) Im one for instant gratification, so this waiting game is killing me.
43k with the one touch top? Did you get any other options? That’s a good price

NotMyHubbysJeep

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
43k with the one touch top? Did you get any other options? That’s a good price
Sport S 4 Door, Bright white
4 cyl turbo
Auto transmission
sky one touch top
premium audio
cold weather package
convenience package (remote start)
anti slip rear diff

$45K after taxes and fees (we will see how much this quoted/negotiated price sticks once it arrives)

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
In general you will have more luck getting a deal on a custom order. This was true before the pandemic and is even more true now. Dealer stock is low and anything on their lot will easily sell for near MSRP to more casual buyers. So they have little motivation to deal on their stock. Submitting sold orders (a custom order for a customer) allows the dealer to sell more Jeep’s beyond their regular stock. So if they can get one more sold order on the books by giving you a deal they are more likely to.

If you have the time to wait for a custom order, that’s the way to go based on my first hand experiences. I’m sure it’s possible to find some dealer stock deals here and there, but it will def be more work to get.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
First, I have to say these forums are awesome! I have decided to lease a Sport S but, none of the dealers close to me (NC)have exactly what I am looking for at the moment. Looking for recommendations on whether I would be better off ordering a new build from my local dealer or doing a nationwide search and travel. . Clearly, my intent is to end up with the best possible invoice or below deal on which to base a lease. I know these forums have some seasoned veterans on here, what are your thoughts?
I will add that I’ve done a lease deal with Tri-City. They were great on that too. They use 3 different banks and will give you a lease estimate up front. Lease rates change every month though so it could change by the time your jeep comes in.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
You will always get an equal or better deal on the lot versus an order. Dealers want to sell you a vehicle today and always will. They are not going to go through the hassle of ordering to sell you that vehicle for cheaper when they could sell a vehicle on the lot no hassle.

The reason the myth that ordering gives better deals is because most people on here research and end up going to the cheapest dealers in the nation. Koons, Crisswell, Tri-City, etc. Most members on here also order to get exactly what they want so they get the impression ordering is cheaper. Those dealerships will sell you a vehicle on the lot for the same price as an order. If you haggle or if they have quotas to reach the vehicles on the lot will be cheaper.

Ordering at the recommended dealers will be cheaper than buying from your local dealer. 99% of local dealers will sell a vehicle on the lot cheaper than they will for an order though.

Sponsored

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250

That is a myth....This is not the case at all, especially here in So Cal where every dealer already has a $3-5K side sticker attached to the MSRP of a bunch of crap you don't need or want...that you have to haggle just to get back to MSRP...Very few buyers are sophisticated enough to research prices to know they could save a ton of money by just doing a custom factory order from one of the many dealers that people on here refer people to across the country....the only downside is the wait, but I ordered a JLUR on 3/10 and it was at the dealer by 4/15....well worth the wait when I'm saving over $6100 off a $53,500 MSRP build

Told my local dealer I would love to buy one form them but told them what kind of deal I'm getting from Kent in Idaho and they said there is no way they could come close to matching that. They sell plenty of Jeeps here in So Cal for over MSRP daily so there is no incentive to give away deals like the ones you can get by doing a factory order from some of these dealers....maybe find a deal on a 2020 Gladiator on the lot, but the the JL's and JLU's get mopped up quickly around here.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I wouldn't call it a myth. It's just that your market and probably east coast markets have a different way of doing business. But some of that added crap before purchase BS is starting to show up here. Many dealers in this area don't have the adjusted value.

NotMyHubbysJeep

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S 4 Door, Bright white
4 cyl turbo
Auto transmission
sky one touch top
premium audio
cold weather package
convenience package (remote start)
anti slip rear diff

$45K after taxes and fees (we will see how much this quoted/negotiated price sticks once it arrives)
UPDATE :) D1 status, dealership says expecting delivery around 05/15/21 - trying to stay patient.

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
Yeah there’s definitely no universal answer. Some seem to think you will always get a better deal off the lot. Meanwhile apparently my local Jeep, BMW and Toyota dealerships must not have gotten that memo because my first hand experience over the years has been the opposite. I suppose the local market and dealer-specific differences explain the variety of answers.

It can sure take some work to find a good dealer, but it definitely pays off when you find the one! Good luck to all!
Sponsored