Sponsored

Will Gladiator factory grill insert fit JL Wrangler?

Bocephus1963

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon. 1976 K5 Blazer. 1995 S10 Blazer 4wd
Occupation
Forklift Operator
Just watched a few youtube videos about the Gladiator, they were saying that because of the tow rating on the Gladiator, the factory had to make the holes in the grill insert larger to get more airflow to the engine. I for one am very disappointed with the high "normal" engine temp of my JLU Rubicon with 3.6, was wondering if the Gladiator insert would fit the Wrangler grill and if anyone thinks it would make any difference in trying to keep temp lower. Its not even summer yet and im already getting temps of 222Ā°-232Ā° during normal city driving. Most of the time i see about 198Ā°-212Ā° but it does reach the higher temps during stop and go/heavy traffic driving.
Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Just watched a few youtube videos about the Gladiator, they were saying that because of the tow rating on the Gladiator, the factory had to make the holes in the grill insert larger to get more airflow to the engine. I for one am very disappointed with the high "normal" engine temp of my JLU Rubicon with 3.6, was wondering if the Gladiator insert would fit the Wrangler grill and if anyone thinks it would make any difference in trying to keep temp lower. Its not even summer yet and im already getting temps of 222Ā°-232Ā° during normal city driving. Most of the time i see about 198Ā°-212Ā° but it does reach the higher temps during stop and go/heavy traffic driving.
Strange, I'm in MD and on hot days I seldom peak past 195.....

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
I doubt larger grille openings would make much of a difference in stop and go driving. The fan can only do so much under such circumstances. Plus youā€™re sucking in the higher temp air from vehicles around you. Thatā€™s why many manufacturers consider stop and go driving as severe duty insofar as maintenance is concerned.

Those temps donā€™t seem excessive for the conditions.

Stry

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
It's not just the holes on the grill slot inserts that are larger. The Gladiator grill slots themselves are wider than those on the JLs to allow more airflow. You could not put JT inserts on the JL, but since the grills are the same size, changing grills would be an option.

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Iā€™m sure most of the parts will bolt up. Itā€™s like a rubicon parts bolt into a lower model level as well.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Interesting. is there that much better stopping power? With 35s the stock brakes are still sweet but if I go larger it might be something to look at.
Well, it needs to stop 6000 lbs AND a large truck, so the brakes are substantially larger and more powerful.

nellynel

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Absolutely works, don't comment if you haven't tried it...?

Sponsored

Talon366

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Altitude
In the process of changing out the grill inserts. Not the same.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Yes the gladiator grill inserts can work with the rubicon/Sahara grills. If you want to lower engine temps try installing a new 190 degree thermostat too.

Jeep Wrangler JL Will Gladiator factory grill insert fit JL Wrangler? 44A98D90-E66D-4A1C-9A57-89BA24BD0385
I'm looking at ording the 3 mesh inserts. Is anything else required for the change?

MerPinXEss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜24 4xe JLU
You could also use 4xe grill inserts as the inserts are the same as gladiator
Jeep Wrangler JL Will Gladiator factory grill insert fit JL Wrangler? IMG_2319
Sponsored