Sponsored

Will Genesis Dual Battery Affect Warranty?

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S JL 2 DR 1999 Chevy Suburban K1500
Will installation of this kit affect warranty coverage?
Sponsored

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
It's going to be "buyer beware".

Like anything, the dealership can claim you're out of warranty because you changed something. Some dealers are great with aftermarket mods and take the common sense approach (i.e replacing control arms doesn't void the warranty for the rest of the suspension, etc.). Other dealers will look at an aftermarket sunshade and tell you that's why the steering feels sloppy. :facepalm:

I'm planning on putting the Genesis system in my 2018 JLUR, but only after I get some other warranty work done scheduled over the next 3 months. After that, for anything electrical i'm prepared to play the argument game on why a dual battery system doesn't effect the fuse box, etc, etc., BUT i'll have to keep in mind that it will be an uphill battle if I ever have issues with systems that tie directly to the factory AUX battery such as ESS.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Warranty coverage for what? Your rear axle? Your rear window defrost cable Detaching? Your air conditioning compressor? Your warranty will still be in full force for those “unrelated to the mod parts’

ESS system? Most likely if you have an actual problem, the dealership will attempt not to warranty it and blame the genesis battery. (In fact, there is a known start/stop issue — ”6-cycles’ - with the genesis system).

Where it gets tricky is something like an electrical issue, say, on your dash. The dealership may try to blame the “mods” to the battery as the “cause”. Of course, they would need to really prove that but, it likely will be a bit of a tussle and you may not get warranty service.

Another thing to consider is that by putting the Genesis batteries in their location, it may cause ”extra work” for the Tech to remove them to get at something else. The dealership may not wish to even touch the genesis system or they may wish to charge a fee to touch it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
If you remove a factory part and replace it with an aftermarket part then that piece is no longer under factory warranty.

The bumper to bumper will not be affected. The Magnuson-Moss Act protects you.
This true but not a fully robust answer. What I understand to be true is that if the after market mod cause a problem with something else, then the “something else” is also not warranted.

steering is a good example. Put on a 6-inch lift and 40-inch tires. Go to the dealership and complain about a steering problem. You will likely not be getting warranty work to diagnose the problem.

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
This true but not a fully robust answer. What I understand to be true is that if the after market mod cause a prI OEM with something else, then the “something else” is also not warranted.

steering is a good example. Put on a 6-inch lift and 40-inch tires. Go to the dealership and complain about a steering problem. You will likely not be getting warranty work to diagnose the problem.
It's explained in detail when you open the link.
Sponsored