Sponsored

Will bigger / heavier tires make steering feel heavier?

EugeneTheJeep

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
My JLR’s steering with the factory KO2 A/Ts feels very light. Another JLUR I drove has a much heavier feel with the Falken Wildpeak M/Ts from the factory. The Falkens are about 10 lbs heavier than the KO2s. If I add heavier or larger tires, will my steering feel less light?
Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
The steering from the factory has been hit or miss. Many people are experiencing light/loose steering. If you install significantly larger and heavier tires you will feel a difference (not recommended as it opens a can of worms). I do not believe this is the difference you are feeling. FCA has released new computer updates, steering stabilizers, and trackbars to address what you are speaking of.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
My steering response/performance didn't change noticeably when I went from the factory Michelin 245/75/17 A/S tires to my current 295/70/17s on heavier (30lb) 17x8.5 wheels once I lowered my PSI to 30 lbs. What was significantly affected was braking, takes quite a bit longer to slow the beast down now since I added about 30 lbs to each corner. I'm hoping more aggressive brake pads will get the braking closer to when I had the grandma tires & thinner wheels on :)

OP
OP
EugeneTheJeep

EugeneTheJeep

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
The steering from the factory has been hit or miss. Many people are experiencing light/loose steering. If you install significantly larger and heavier tires you will feel a difference (not recommended as it opens a can of worms). I do not believe this is the difference you are feeling. FCA has released new computer updates, steering stabilizers, and trackbars to address what you are speaking of.
Agree this is a possibility. I’ve read through the steering issue threads. My 2-door has about a half inch of play with a looser gear box than the other JLUR (4-door). I checked off road pages for steering angles measurements on both, and mine is roughly 20% (tire turn angle to steering wheel angle ratio) looser. This may be as designed for the 2-door due to the shorter wheelbase, not sure.

I was thinking of Mopar lift with 35s or just 33 M/Ts with the factory suspension anyway and was hoping for a more solid steering feel as a bonus. Not sure if the electric assist compensates for larger/heavier tires or not.

OP
OP
EugeneTheJeep

EugeneTheJeep

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
My steering response/performance didn't change noticeably when I went from the factory Michelin 245/75/17 A/S tires to my current 295/70/17s on heavier (30lb) 17x8.5 wheels once I lowered my PSI to 30 lbs. What was significantly affected was braking, takes quite a bit longer to slow the beast down now since I added about 30 lbs to each corner. I'm hoping more aggressive brake pads will get the braking closer to when I had the grandma tires & thinner wheels on :)
Thanks for the feedback. I’m wondering if the electric assist control is compensating, or if the tire weight/contact patch isn’t enough of a difference to feel it.

Sponsored

Digger70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
30lbs+. Michelin stock tires weigh 31lbs, Milestars weigh 63.6lbs. I just had the BFG KO2 C rated 315/70R17 on my old JK and they weighed 65lbs which is the same as the E rated KO2 in the same size. Huge difference in braking and acceleration from a stop. How do you like the Milestars?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
30lbs+. Michelin stock tires weigh 31lbs, Milestars weigh 63.6lbs. I just had the BFG KO2 C rated 315/70R17 on my old JK and they weighed 65lbs which is the same as the E rated KO2 in the same size. Huge difference in braking and acceleration from a stop. How do you like the Milestars?
I really am liking the Milestars, wasn't expecting them to be as quiet and composed at speed as they turned out being. Only used them off road a little bit but performed well, if they don't wear out too quickly I'd put them back in my shopping cart again :)

Braking is the only significant negative for me, still seems plenty fine accelerating w/ the 3.6 & 8AT IMO.

Digger70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
I really am liking the Milestars, wasn't expecting them to be as quiet and composed at speed as they turned out being. Only used them off road a little bit but performed well, if they don't wear out too quickly I'd put them back in my shopping cart again :)

Braking is the only significant negative for me, still seems plenty fine accelerating w/ the 3.6 & 8AT IMO.
Cool. One thing I like about the JL over the JK (with 3.73) is how much more zip it has and I think maybe a heavier tire won't be as noticeable as it was on the JK.. I still need to figure out what size I'm going to get; either 255, 265 or 275 (70R18). I did check out the Milestar ATs. I also like the new Cooper AT3 and the General Grabber ATX. I'm hoping tires will be on sale for Labor Day. I think the 295/70R18 would be too big, and heavy :) I really don't want to have to get a Tazer or Procal.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Agree this is a possibility. I’ve read through the steering issue threads. My 2-door has about a half inch of play with a looser gear box than the other JLUR (4-door). I checked off road pages for steering angles measurements on both, and mine is roughly 20% (tire turn angle to steering wheel angle ratio) looser. This may be as designed for the 2-door due to the shorter wheelbase, not sure.

I was thinking of Mopar lift with 35s or just 33 M/Ts with the factory suspension anyway and was hoping for a more solid steering feel as a bonus. Not sure if the electric assist compensates for larger/heavier tires or not.
My JLUR had quite a bit of play and wander in stock form. When I lifted it, I added geometry brackets and a stronger adjustable trackbar. It is much better now. Still has some play but tracks much better on road.

OP
OP
EugeneTheJeep

EugeneTheJeep

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
My JLUR had quite a bit of play and wander in stock form. When I lifted it, I added geometry brackets and a stronger adjustable trackbar. It is much better now. Still has some play but tracks much better on road.
Good to hear the additions helped. Do you think the original problem was alignment?

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
My JLR’s steering with the factory KO2 A/Ts feels very light. Another JLUR I drove has a much heavier feel with the Falken Wildpeak M/Ts from the factory. The Falkens are about 10 lbs heavier than the KO2s. If I add heavier or larger tires, will my steering feel less light?

There are many issues regarding the JL's steering system that others have touched on, but one thing I didn't see mentioned is that there are slight geometric changes that happen when switching to a larger tire with the same wheel offset: The scrub radius is reduced when a larger tire is used, which should lead to lighter steering with less feedback if using OEM offset wheels.

scrub-radius.jpg
Sponsored