Sponsored

Will any damage be done to the transmission if I don’t regear?

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
you can't really compare the JL to the JK, completely different transmissions.
While I'm sure that's certainly true, I'd think the JLs transmission would be better suited to handle 35s than the JKs and therefore wouldn't need to have shorter gearing than a JK to be in the right power band

When I was trying to decide on which gears to put in my JK I also heard the 'you need 4.88s' opinion.

I'm glad I didn't go that route.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
While I'm sure that's certainly true, I'd think the JLs transmission would be better suited to handle 35s than the JKs and therefore wouldn't need to have shorter gearing than a JK to be in the right power band

When I was trying to decide on which gears to put in my JK I also heard the 'you need 4.88s' opinion.

I'm glad I didn't go that route.
If you're a primarily street driver I would agree with you. Off-road is a different ballgame, especially without the 4:1 transfer case.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
If you're a primarily street driver I would agree with you. Off-road is a different ballgame, especially without the 4:1 transfer case.
I have about 2,500 miles on my Rubicon since upgrading to 35" tires (used Tazer Mini to calibrate everything). The engine lugs on the highway because the RPMs are too low and so 8th is rare. I am turning about 2,000 at speeds between 70 and 75 and that is just too low.

Even before I upgraded the tires, I always thought that Rubicons with 33" tires and automatics should have been geared from the factory with 4.56 gears.

Mine will soon be running 4.88 and I can't wait to get them installed. I grow weary of the constant up and downshifting which, long term, cannot be good for the transmission.
Sponsored