First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
  • Banned
Hi all,
New member here and just joined because I am concerned reading about this BSG that looks like it’s going to become standard on the V-6 in 2019. I know there has been conflicting information on this but was wondering if we know for sure if we will still be able to get the regular ESS V6 in 2019, so if I have to order a 2018 I will.
Thank you for any help
Sponsored

Last edited:

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
What is BSG?
Google is your friend:

FCA is also developing a mild hybrid using belt starter generator (BSG) technology. BSG offers improvement in fuel economy and a reduction in CO2 emissions at a relatively low cost. This technology utilizes an electric motor which acts like a modified alternator that generates current, but also doubles as a starter to restart the engine when the vehicle is stationary. BSG is expected to be applied to FCA vehicles within the next two years.

http://reports.fcagroup.com/sustain...ility/responsible-products/electric-and#start

BoisetheCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-V
according to the posted TL in a sticky, yes all 3.6 will have bsg after this model year. we shall see tho

Sponsored

badtux

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon
We know that the new Ram 1500 with the 3.6L V6 is going to have the BSG next year, FCA has already announced that. Whether the Wrangler will also have it... the Wrangler has a big difference compared to the Ram 1500: It comes with a 6 speed manual. The Ram 1500 does not, the only transmission available for the Ram 1500 w/V6 is the 8 speed automatic. My guess is that because of the 6 speed manual transmission, the Wrangler will *not* have BSG on the V6 next year because making it work with a manual transmission is non-trivial.

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
We know that the new Ram 1500 with the 3.6L V6 is going to have the BSG next year, FCA has already announced that. Whether the Wrangler will also have it... the Wrangler has a big difference compared to the Ram 1500: It comes with a 6 speed manual. The Ram 1500 does not, the only transmission available for the Ram 1500 w/V6 is the 8 speed automatic. My guess is that because of the 6 speed manual transmission, the Wrangler will *not* have BSG on the V6 next year because making it work with a manual transmission is non-trivial.
I don’t think there’s anything inherently difficult about packaging a BSG with a manual - the BSG sits in ‘front’ of the engine provides extra power directly to it, so as long as the tranny can handle the torque it would have no effect on it. Others have sold mild hybrids of this sort with sticks - Honda’s CRZ and Civics for example.

One of the advantages of these modern 48v mild hybrids is that they don’t touch the rest of the drive train...

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
I don’t think there’s anything inherently difficult about packaging a BSG with a manual - the BSG sits in ‘front’ of the engine provides extra power directly to it, so as long as the tranny can handle the torque it would have no effect on it. Others have sold mild hybrids of this sort with sticks - Honda’s CRZ and Civics for example.

One of the advantages of these modern 48v mild hybrids is that they don’t touch the rest of the drive train...
Yeah, as far as the 6MT is concerned, the BSG just makes the 3.6L act like it has a small turbocharger. Actually turbos are FAR more difficult to integrate with manuals, at least as far as emissions compliance is concerned.

Manuals and mild hybrids are a match made in heaven, since they effectively replace engine braking with alternator load to recapture that energy, and most manual drivers are accustomed to engine braking whenever possible.

OP
OP
Solidaxle

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
  • Banned
I read an article on the 2019 Dodge ram and they said all the 3.6 will have the BSG but that’s with automatic transmission. thought I read somewhere on one of these forms were a member said that he had information that 2019 3.6 manual transmission might have the option of ESS or ESS with BSG. It’s looking like all 3.6 automatic are going to have BSG no option
Sponsored