Sponsored

Will adding a steel bumper and winch cause front end sag in my JL rubicon with stock suspension?

NTLV

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door JL Rubicon
Occupation
VIP Host Nightlife
Vehicle Showcase
Hey all, tried to search this question up and couldn’t find any good info.

I have a 2 door Rubi with the plastic bumper. I plan on upgrading soon to a poison spyder bruizer front bumper with smitty x20 synthetic winch.

My main concern with adding these is that I will be sagging in the front. Can anyone confirm where or not this is true and if I do need spacers what other things would I need to go along with it.

I still have stock wheels and tires and I don’t plan on changing them out for 6 months to a year and when I do I’ll be going to 35s.

other info is that I don’t not drive with the backseats installed so less weight back there and also plan to remove the stock muffler soon. Not going to be putting a rear bumper on for a long time, if ever.

any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

3F749DCB-B620-4420-BAA4-9979D4C53901.jpeg
Sponsored

EZMFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

I'd say you will see 3/4 of an inch lower front end and may also notice the front dips a bit more when braking. Have someone that is 170lbs stand on the front and see what you get. That weight would settle a bit more over time but it'll give you an idea.

PiratesSayARRR

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Consider a rear bumper, the stock is such a POS. I learned this after installing my bumper.

I have a Rockhard aluminum full width bumper and Warm 10-s zeon winch, going aluminum minimized the sag to be hardly noticeable.

OP
OP
NTLV

NTLV

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door JL Rubicon
Occupation
VIP Host Nightlife
Vehicle Showcase
If I did lose about 3/4” in the front would I just add spacers to the fornt obly to account for that and be good to go or would I need other parts as well? like LCAs, new steering parts etc.? Sorry my first Jeep so not really sure how it goes.
Also if I put spacers in the front would I have to put them in the back as well?

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
If I did lose about 3/4” in the front would I just add spacers to the fornt obly to account for that and be good to go or would I need other parts as well? like LCAs, new steering parts etc.? Sorry my first Jeep so not really sure how it goes.
Also if I put spacers in the front would I have to put them in the back as well?
I have a JLUR, upgraded to a Warn VR10 w/ Motobilt Crusher Bumper. Yes, my Jeep does sag a little in the front. Not really enough to affect anything other than it just sitting there, though. Same thing happened on my 04 Rubicon, and I did put 2" spacers on that to level it out because I had a Warn Rock Crawler Bumper, Winch mount, and Warn XD8000i on there which made that OEM suspension sag as well. Again, the spacers did not really affect anything other than ride height. They made it level again.

Sponsored

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
When I got a mid width bumper on my jk and a winch, the steering felt heavy afterward. You seeing that in the JL’s as well?

OP
OP
NTLV

NTLV

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door JL Rubicon
Occupation
VIP Host Nightlife
Vehicle Showcase
Would you put spacers only in the fornt and need nothing else or would I put them in the ear as well? Would I need to adjust anything?

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
FWIW I added a steel bumper (ADD full length stealth fighter) to the front with a TigerShark 9500S winch, 20” light bar, and heavy duty d-rings...to a Sport. I did not cut off the extra rail length. I also added cube lights to the cowl and an aux switch controller in the engine bay.

If it sags in the front I haven’t noticed it visually. I haven’t measured though. I have noticed increased braking effort required and maybe a little heavier cornering.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Would you put spacers only in the fornt and need nothing else or would I put them in the ear as well? Would I need to adjust anything?
Front only to level. 3/4” shouldn’t impact steering

track.n.trail

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Software Engineer
I got about 1/2" of sag by adding the Warn winch plate and Smittybilt X20 10k winch to my rubicon. Fixed that with a 1/2" spacer when installing my Dynatrac 2" lift.

Sponsored

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler unlimited rubicon
Hey all, tried to search this question up and couldn’t find any good info.

I have a 2 door Rubi with the plastic bumper. I plan on upgrading soon to a poison spyder bruizer front bumper with smitty x20 synthetic winch.

My main concern with adding these is that I will be sagging in the front. Can anyone confirm where or not this is true and if I do need spacers what other things would I need to go along with it.

I still have stock wheels and tires and I don’t plan on changing them out for 6 months to a year and when I do I’ll be going to 35s.

other info is that I don’t not drive with the backseats installed so less weight back there and also plan to remove the stock muffler soon. Not going to be putting a rear bumper on for a long time, if ever.

Jeep Wrangler JL Will adding a steel bumper and winch cause front end sag in my JL rubicon with stock suspension? 3F749DCB-B620-4420-BAA4-9979D4C53901
Yes it will sag. Mine dropped 3/4” with a net gain of 153 pounds with a winch and steel bumper/skid plate.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Yes it will sag. Mine dropped 3/4” with a net gain of 153 pounds with a winch and steel bumper/skid plate.
Mine seemed to drop almost 3/4" w/ 180lbs of bumper & winch, added the Rugged Ridge 3/4" spacer in front. It says it's for the JK but works fine for the JL too, just need to cut the rubber prongs off the OEM rubber isolator.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GT8AJPW

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler unlimited rubicon
Mine seemed to drop almost 3/4" w/ 180lbs of bumper & winch, added the Rugged Ridge 3/4" spacer in front. It says it's for the JK but works fine for the JL too, just need to cut the rubber prongs off the OEM rubber isolator.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GT8AJPW
Best way to test this is to measure the vehicle height and then have someone, around 150-200 pounds stand on the front bumper and measure. That will give you a rough idea of how much it will sag.
Sponsored