Sponsored

Will a Warn VR-8S winch fit the Rubicon’s steel bumper?

ParthianShot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Obviously I’d need a winch plate, but would this winch fit the stock steel bumper? I searched and can’t seem to find the answer.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ed El Man

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR, 2016 Ducati XDiavel S, 2011 Ducati 848 Evo, 2008 Mazda CX-9 Grandtouring (the beater)
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
ParthianShot

ParthianShot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

Sponsored

Jruedastinger

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep jl

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Your plate manufacturer should state what will work. However if you go with a winch manufacturer ‘s plate, they might only list their own. Example the warn plate only lists the warn winches that will work, although others will.

JeepTime

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
The answer is yes. Installed it yesterday.

7B2B3BB5-7C5B-4CEF-BBEE-014C94A0D579.jpeg
just installed mine yesterday. How did you tuck those wires down like that? I know it doesn't make much difference but it looks good and was wondering how you did it. Also where exactly did you route the wires up through for the battery? I've seen differing things. I ran mine over the top sway bar up behind the airbox, then around the battery to connect it.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Hmmmmm......

I am thinking of the 10s. What lead y’all to the 8s?

I thought at a fully loaded rubicon (winch, steel bumpers, aftermarket rock sliders, misc mods, was around 6,000 pounds x 1.5 = 9,000 pounds ...... so 10s. I would love to get the 8s and save some money. Thoughts?

Last edited:

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Hmmmmm......

I am thinking of the 10s. What lead y’all to the 8s?

I thought at a fully loaded rubicon (winch, steel bumpers, aftermarket rock sliders, misc mods, was around 6,000 pounds x 1.5 = 9,000 pounds ...... so 10s. I would love to get the 8s and save some money. Thoughts?
Stock curb weight is what, 4500? Being very conservative, you could say 500 pounds for bumpers, winch, and sliders. What the hell are these “misc mods”? You’re over the payload rating at 6000.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ParthianShot

ParthianShot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
just installed mine yesterday. How did you tuck those wires down like that? I know it doesn't make much difference but it looks good and was wondering how you did it. Also where exactly did you route the wires up through for the battery? I've seen differing things. I ran mine over the top sway bar up behind the airbox, then around the battery to connect it.
I honestly don’t remember what I did to get the wires that way. I think I just pulled them down from underneath and then zip-tied them.

As far as the route, what you described is exactly what I did. Just be sure to zip-tie along the way so the wires aren’t able to hit the pulley (I made that mistake).

JeepTime

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I honestly don’t remember what I did to get the wires that way. I think I just pulled them down from underneath and then zip-tied them.

As far as the route, what you described is exactly what I did. Just be sure to zip-tie along the way so the wires aren’t able to hit the pulley (I made that mistake).
I’ll have to try tucking it down more then! The wires didn’t seem to be near any moving parts, we zipped it once it came up by the air box, the ground line and the positive together to clean it up. Was there another component you zip tied it to? Or somewhere else on the way? I’d like to avoid any issues so if ya did I’ll get back in there and zip tie it some more in other places and take your advice!

OP
OP
ParthianShot

ParthianShot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I’ll have to try tucking it down more then! The wires didn’t seem to be near any moving parts, we zipped it once it came up by the air box, the ground line and the positive together to clean it up. Was there another component you zip tied it to? Or somewhere else on the way? I’d like to avoid any issues so if ya did I’ll get back in there and zip tie it some more in other places and take your advice!
I zip tied it a couple times near the bottom, just to make sure it didn’t have any wiggle room to find that pulley. Other than that, there don’t seem to be any problem areas to look out for.

JeepTime

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I zip tied it a couple times near the bottom, just to make sure it didn’t have any wiggle room to find that pulley. Other than that, there don’t seem to be any problem areas to look out for.
Thanks! I see some spots down low where zip tieing it would clean it up! Was your concern with it getting caught in the winch pulley?

OP
OP
ParthianShot

ParthianShot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
It quickly became my concern when the cable was pulled away from where I routed it, I'm guessing while doing some off-roading. It allowed the cable enough slack that it was touching the pulley, and over time it wore down the sheathing. This led to my Jeep becoming inoperable at a stoplight in downtown Dallas. It was towed to the dealer and they found out that once it wore down to the copper of the actual cable, it caused a short that blew out the main relay! Let my story be a lesson for everyone else haha. Route it as best you can, and be sure to zip-tie plenty.
Sponsored