Sponsored

Will a new Mojave steel steering knuckle direct replace aluminum one on Rubicon?

RancherRob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I was told it might help with the death wobble issue I've been fighting. Are they an easy direct no modify swap? Where can I get them? Does anyone have the part # for them?
Sponsored

drvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2014 JKU, 2005 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for starting this thread. Watching for replies from those more in the know than I.

OP
OP

RancherRob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Aluminum steering knuckle? Uh.......what you smoking?
I gave that up. Maybe its a flash back? Google is ur friend. I was told by steersmarts and google search confirms it. The rubicons have aluminum steering knuckles. Aluminum steering boxes and gears too BTW. Maybe you need a toke? ;)

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Know about steering box. Getting replacement next week, not sure why knuckles are different.

Sponsored

Lapis

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon Ocean Blue
Not sure if they are direct fit or not, but the only way I could see it helping with death wobble is if you have bad ball joints and you replace them at the same time as the knuckles.

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
So sounds like a job for Rancho or Teraflex to fix this ignorant mistake.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Last edited:

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Not sure if they are direct fit or not, but the only way I could see it helping with death wobble is if you have bad ball joints and you replace them at the same time as the knuckles.
The fact that these cast iron knuckles exist confirms the aluminum knuckles are not optimal.

Jeep would not design these, and go through the process to release them on a new production model, if it was not needed.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Reid racing is supposed to be releasing thiers, i spoke to them about 5 weeks ago and said they were waiting for them to be finished milling, And as of two days ago, They are still milling. So if anyone would like to call them and get an update and post it here go for it lol. Ive called them enough.

as for the steel knuckles theres a few mopar sites you can purchase them from

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Cheaper than I thought....$700 for both isn't insane. High for factory parts....I'd probably wait for Reid if I was worried....they should at least be beefier and might even offer a high steer option.
Yeah they will, and cheaper they told me 250-275 each

Lapis

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon Ocean Blue
The fact that these cast iron knuckles exist confirms the aluminum knuckles are not optimal.

Jeep would not design these, and go through the process to release them on a new production model, if it was not needed.
Cast Iron is stronger than aluminum, in a desert racing truck (which is what the Mojave is designed as) you need the stronger knuckle so you don't crack/bust them coming down off a jump or knocking them against a rock at 60+MPH.

I live in the Mojave, I understand why Jeep bothered to put cast iron on the Mojave edition, I absolutely understand why they might be needed and that aluminum can be sub-optimal in certain situations, I'm just saying that I doubt very seriously that switching to iron knuckles is going to fix OPs death wobble
Sponsored