Sponsored

Will a new Mojave steel steering knuckle direct replace aluminum one on Rubicon?

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Cast Iron is stronger than aluminum, in a desert racing truck (which is what the Mojave is designed as) you need the stronger knuckle so you don't crack/bust them coming down off a jump or knocking them against a rock at 60+MPH.

I live in the Mojave, I understand why Jeep bothered to put cast iron on the Mojave edition, I absolutely understand why they might be needed and that aluminum can be sub-optimal in certain situations, I'm just saying that I doubt very seriously that switching to iron knuckles is going to fix OPs death wobble
I agree, not likely they are the source of death wobble. Probably a slopped out TRE, or loose fastner.
Sponsored

GoofyBooty

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just talked to Reid Racing. They said they just received their first pair for testing on the vehicle and should have them available in “at least a month”.

RhinoJLU

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Just a head up for those of you who like to wheel frequently and are running the stock aluminum knuckles. There have been many reports of breakage on these knuckles around the lower balljoint area leaving the party stranded. The risk could be even worse for those of us running hydro assist and 37+ tires. This is not an easy trail fix or a trail fix at all for that matter. I myself will be getting the cast steel knuckles. Never had a problem with my JK stock knuckles running them 10 years 200k miles

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Just a head up for those of you who like to wheel frequently and are running the stock aluminum knuckles. There have been many reports of breakage on these knuckles around the lower balljoint area leaving the party stranded. The risk could be even worse for those of us running hydro assist and 37+ tires. This is not an easy trail fix or a trail fix at all for that matter. I myself will be getting the cast steel knuckles. Never had a problem with my JK stock knuckles running them 10 years 200k miles
I'm pretty sure that the Reid Racing knuckles can be had for less money. Plus, they were designed with professional offroad Racing in mind vs cost and profit margins. Not at all claiming that the factory irons aren't up to the task, but they are coming from the same factory that chose to crimp tie rod ends instead of laying a simple bead of weld.

Jeep Wrangler JL Will a new Mojave steel steering knuckle direct replace aluminum one on Rubicon? 20211013_132423

RhinoJLU

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I'm pretty sure that the Reid Racing knuckles can be had for less money. Plus, they were designed with professional offroad Racing in mind vs cost and profit margins. Not at all claiming that the factory irons aren't up to the task, but they are coming from the same factory that chose to crimp tie rod ends instead of laying a simple bead of weld.

Jeep Wrangler JL Will a new Mojave steel steering knuckle direct replace aluminum one on Rubicon? 20211013_132423
Sure whatever floats your boat it’s all cast steel in the end. My comment was more geared towards being cautious with the stock aluminum knuckles rather than what knuckles to run

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sure whatever floats your boat it’s all cast steel in the end. My comment was more geared towards being cautious with the stock aluminum knuckles rather than what knuckles to run
Yeah, we're on the same page. Just wanted to give you the heads up about a more cost efficient option over factory that might also ship out in a more timely fashion.

RhinoJLU

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Yeah, we're on the same page. Just wanted to give you the heads up about a more cost efficient option over factory that might also ship out in a more timely fashion.
Yeah thanks for that I just looked the Reid’s up in north ridge. With the discount code it’s $100 cheaper than stock. I’m just worried with the raised tie rod it’ll screw up my geometry with how I have my ram mounted. Trying to keep that as parallel to the tie rod as possible. Would hate to have to cut the tabs off and reweld

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah thanks for that I just looked the Reid’s up in north ridge. With the discount code it’s $100 cheaper than stock. I’m just worried with the raised tie rod it’ll screw up my geometry with how I have my ram mounted. Trying to keep that as parallel to the tie rod as possible. Would hate to have to cut the tabs off and reweld
I thought Reid’s had standard tie rod mount position.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I thought Reid’s had standard tie rod mount position.
Hmm maybe they do I’ll look into that. I just know from the JK they only had the raised tie rod position
Yes, the JL Reid knuckles don't change the height of the tie rod. The JK's had a high mount option, but Reid has no plans on doing that for us. If memory serves, it's because the JK's needed a lot more lift to accommodate the same size tires, so they needed a help with geometry.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Yes, the JL Reid knuckles don't change the height of the tie rod. The JK's had a high mount option, but Reid has no plans on doing that for us. If memory serves, it's because the JK's needed a lot more lift to accommodate the same size tires, so they needed a help with geometry.
Just my experience from recently purchasing Reid knuckles, the JL001L & JL001R have the standard tierod location.

The JL001L-F & JL001R-F relocate the tierod upward (F = flipped)

20220331_103739.jpg

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just my experience from recently purchasing Reid knuckles, the JL001L & JL001R have the standard tierod location.

The JL001L-F & JL001R-F relocate the tierod upward (F = flipped)

Jeep Wrangler JL Will a new Mojave steel steering knuckle direct replace aluminum one on Rubicon? 20220331_103739
Assuming just a typo, but for the next reader to come along, the "F" designated Reid Racing knuckles are meant for relocating the drag link upward to the top mount position. The tie rod remains in the same location for all of Reids JL knuckles.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Assuming just a typo, but for the next reader to come along, the "F" designated Reid Racing knuckles are meant for relocating the drag link upward to the top mount position. The tie rod remains in the same location for all of Reids JL knuckles.
You're correct. I transposed the tierod and draglink.

Only the draglink is flipped.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
You'd think I'd know a tierod from a draglink with all the work I've been doing on the JL. Lots going on today.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You'd think I'd know a tierod from a draglink with all the work I've been doing on the JL. Lots going on today.
I like blaming it on the "auto fill" feature when typing on the phone. ;)

I know you know, but was just thinking of the next person who's new to the rabbits hole.
Jeep Wrangler JL Will a new Mojave steel steering knuckle direct replace aluminum one on Rubicon? y3lv2x2
Sponsored